Suggestions for next year's trivia contest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for next year's trivia contest

As a former member of a 9 time Colorado state champion academic team and veteran of the National Academic Championship and the Panasonic Academic Challenge, I have some suggestions in regards to improving the format.

First, I'd suggest dropping any sort of TV inspired gimmicks, which seem to only serve to slow the pace of the game and make understanding the format more confusing. What I think everyone wants is a fast paced game where knowledge is rewarded with boobs and ignorance is punished with drinking.

I've played at least a dozen formats in tournaments and my favorite one is still the following:
    • Teams (of four, usually) compete in a series of rounds. Each round may have 2 or more teams competing; typically three at the same time.
    • When a team member buzzes, anyone on that team, not just the person who buzzed, may answer the question if they so desire.
    • Teams may only discuss who will answer. Talking about the question itself is prohibited. Typically a team will have a captain who will decide which team member will answer.
    • After buzzing, teams have a fixed amount of time (10 secs) to decide who will answer and answer the question.
    • There is no penalty for buzzing early, however the reader should stop immediately after hearing the buzzer.
    • If the question has been read to completion and no one buzzes, the teams (or remaining team if the other team has already answered incorrectly) may ask for the question to be repeated.
    • Every question should start with a topic. Teams have the opportunity to buzz in immediately after the topic has been read.

Insert any arbitrary rules you want thereafter. I'd suggest "If you answer incorrectly, you drink". You could also have toss ups for bonus questions, where any team may answer the toss up but the team that answers it correctly gets to answer the bonus question alone. The prize for a correctly answered bonus question could be, oh, one of the hostesses removes a piece of clothing.

That's the basic jist of it. Let me know what you think.

There's also quite a bit of software out there for managing question lists and printing out question pools for tournaments. We used the Knowledge Master software developed by "The Great Auk" in Durango, CO.
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Why don't you offer to run the event next year? It sounds like you'd do a great job.

Comment

Originally posted by Effugas
      Why don't you offer to run the event next year? It sounds like you'd do a great job.
      I believe he would be too busy smoking up.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
        I believe he would be too busy smoking up.
        Its his normal state, I doubt it would really affect anything. :)
        The dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodia
          Its his normal state, I doubt it would really affect anything. :)
          It will sell as long as people are not sober, and very loud. lolz

-xchris
          -Christopher

Comment

Originally posted by Effugas
            I can certainly volunteer... and be sober for the event *gasp* just like I was for my talk.

If anyone can point me to where I should do this in an official capacity, let me know.
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
            [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by xChris
              It will sell as long as people are not sober, and very loud. lolz

-xchris
              Sober? People who attend Defcon are as sober as a priest on Sunday. :D
              Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

How about asking questions where the answers are in a book, and we supply them with tons of cisco and ms books, let them dig. :>

Comment

Originally posted by bascule
                  If anyone can point me to where...
                  erm... iirc grifter is your man
                  if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Ok, I'm old. Bascule's rules sound just like "College Bowl", a syndicated
                    show from the '70's.

Al
                    "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                      How about asking questions where the answers are in a book, and we supply them with tons of cisco and ms books, let them dig. :>
                      That is an interesting premise for a game but trivia is supposed to be trivial. What you're suggesting sounds more like a leetest link team phase competition. The MC presents a technical problem and gives the teams a limited amount of time to find citations and a solution.

I think it would probably bore the drunks and piss off the pussy hounds though.
                      That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                      X