• Show
Clear All

• e-voting

http://www.computerworld.com/securit...,95094,00.html

^^^ interesting article
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

E-voting is going to provide more fuel for the fire when something goes wrong with an election be it presidential or what have you. For example, if a states electoral votes hinge on the presidency and the numbers are close people are going to suspect the system(cry hacked election). It happens with paper(florida), it will happen with electronics. However im all for e-voting, we have to progress to it sooner or later.
    "I have no for you rackmount for you"
    anonymous computer vendor
    bestest phone conversation evar

Comment

I'm trying to figure out what I'm gonna do with the 10 grand.. or do I forget about it and install a puppet government instead with the power we'll wield over the e-voting machines?

(awaiting the "hack the electoral process!" comedy option)
      We own everything so you don't have to!

Comment

e-voting is a bad idea.

I won't reiterate the points raised in the article, but the findings don't really surprise me. The public is largely technologiaclly-ignorant, and have had long enough to get used to the idea of e-commerce as commonplace to make e-voting palatable to them. Why they can't equate 'stolen credit card information' with being nowhere near as bad as 'skewed election results' I don't quite fathom, but for anyone looking for a parallel people may be able to relate to that could be it.

Personally, I wouldn't feel as though my vote had registered unless I dropped it in the box myself. Whatever might happen to it after that point is debatable, but at least I know that what I put in the box was what I wanted.

Comment

For anyone interested.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/1931836833/
          .: Grifter :.

Comment

I'm sure everybody who was at the con knows this, but for those who weren't:
            http://www.blackboxvoting.com/
            The dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
              e-voting is a bad idea.

I won't reiterate the points raised in the article, but the findings don't really surprise me. The public is largely technologiaclly-ignorant, and have had long enough to get used to the idea of e-commerce as commonplace to make e-voting palatable to them. Why they can't equate 'stolen credit card information' with being nowhere near as bad as 'skewed election results' I don't quite fathom, but for anyone looking for a parallel people may be able to relate to that could be it.

Personally, I wouldn't feel as though my vote had registered unless I dropped it in the box myself. Whatever might happen to it after that point is debatable, but at least I know that what I put in the box was what I wanted.
              I totally agree with you, i know there are many problems and implications with e-voting and i personally would rather keep it paper(after rethinking it). I know companies that are developing the e-voting systems are pushing for their hardware to get used and saying everything is safe etc etc etc. If anything we(as a nation, or respective states) should wait a while for bugs to get worked out, otherwise it should never happen.
              Last edited by cdX11101; August 7, 2004, 20:11.
              "I have no for you rackmount for you"
              anonymous computer vendor
              bestest phone conversation evar

Comment

Originally posted by cdX11101
                If anything we(as a nation, or respective states) should wait a while for bugs to get worked out, otherwise it should never happen.
                I'll never understand why the immediate push to put an untested technology in to replace a system that has worked for decades. Having been in a few different cities for elections, I know each one has had some weird machine to collect votes (manual levers, punch cards, connect-the-dots, etc) but this technology is simply too unproven.

And what is with the lack of a paper trail with these companies? Gah!!! Just makes my head spin with their arrogance on how secure they believe their systems are.

Comment

Originally posted by gzzah
                  I'll never understand why the immediate push to put an untested technology in to replace a system that has worked for decades. Having been in a few different cities for elections, I know each one has had some weird machine to collect votes (manual levers, punch cards, connect-the-dots, etc) but this technology is simply too unproven.
                  It's a knee-jerk reaction to the recounts of the last presidential election. We have a vocal minority who can't deal with the fact that you don't get infinite do-overs when it comes to selecting a head of state if the results don't turn out your way, and this is their way of trying to protect us from it ever happening again. Unfortunately, they don't have the technical understanding necessary to be able to comprehend the wider issues involved and so are likely to screw us all in the end.

Posit: what happens when we have our first electronic election where, two years into the term of the elected president, we find out that the results were brought about through manipulation of vote data by thrid parties with their own interests? Do we hold midterm elections to replace him, or carry on as though the vote were legitimate?

Comment

Personally, I'd be a bit wary. If Amazon can't determine that a double click does not mean I want two copies of the same book, then how are the e-voters going to sort that out?

And if it's easily sorted, then why the hell can't online stores use it?

Comment

Online voting is a neat idea in theory. Instant results, instant recounts, no errors and cheap. The problem is not unlike the movie industry challange to move to digital. Digital systems provide a huge leap forward over film. The problem being how do you secure movies so every joe blow doesnt have a perfect digital copy from the local theatre. The weakest link will always be the technology. Ultimately the information has to go over the net at some point. And once it leaves the voting machine, there is no ultimate guarantee that someone couldnt intercept and change the information. Ultimately theatres will go digital, and e-voting will be the way of life. One only hopes that by the time that happens, the technology is sophisticated enough to make it reasonably secure.
                      Yes I'm back bitch!

And darker than ever

Comment

Originally posted by Kry0NiK
                        One only hopes that by the time that happens, the technology is sophisticated enough to make it reasonably secure.
                        I vote we move towards carrier pigeon so we can all feel safer that our datagrams will get there unmolested.

Comment

Originally posted by Kry0NiK
                          ...Ultimately the information has to go over the net at some point. And once it leaves the voting machine, there is no ultimate guarantee that someone couldnt intercept and change the information....
                          Beyond this, it will then become possible for people to sell their votes and allow the buyer to actually be able to control and verify the outcome of their purchase. Voters could sell their keys or authentication to a company that votes for them.

I wonder what percent of the voting population would willingly accept money for their votes?

Comment

E-Voting Article in Playboy

In the current issue of Playboy there is a article about E-Voting entitled “'Machine Politics,' about the problems with electronic voting in Florida and elsewhere” . We know this but it may help the rest of the nation understand some of the issues if they actually take time to read Playboy instead of looking at the pictures.
                            You can find the story in pdf here:
                            http://www.knoxandbaum.com/id2.html
                            Politics are nothing more than formal, socially accepted methods of social engineering.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodia
                              I'm sure everybody who was at the con knows this, but for those who weren't:
                              http://www.blackboxvoting.com/
                              Xodia bought the Hosts book.
                              Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

Working...
                              X