Rumors of a CDMA OKI-900

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumors of a CDMA OKI-900

Is anyone able to confirm the existance of a CDMA-enabled OKI-900 capible of monitoring CDMA conversations? Rumor has it one exists...
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Originally posted by bascule
    Is anyone able to confirm the existance of a CDMA-enabled OKI-900 capible of monitoring CDMA conversations? Rumor has it one exists...
    AFAIK, there never was any such thing - the 900s were all AMPS phones, at least for production models. However, about three years ago, there were some rumours floating around that some then-current Samsung handsets (the SCH-3500 and SCH-8500 specifically, if memory serves) were 'the Oki 900s of CDMA'. That's the phrase that sticks in my mind in relation to how they were being described, so this may be where the question you're asking springs from.

From what I remember, no disassembly of the Samsungs' firmware ever conclusively proved that any such mode existed in them. There are also many issues to overcome with doing (essentially) scanning under IS-95 CDMA, both radio- and software-related - notably, that IS-95 uses FHSS which would require an FHSS synthesiser capable of locking to another phone's seeded hopping pattern; also the generation of A-Keys capable of decrypting the intercepted signal was another issue.

It's been a long time since I looked into this, though, so if I'm off-base I'd appreciate someone correcting me.

One thing that was (hell, should still be) possible was copying the NAM from a CDMA phone into an AMPS phone to have a dedicated AMPS line tied to your CDMA account. I did have an old Panasonic EB-2501 bagphone that was set up this way at one stage for use out in the desert, the idea being that its three watts of output could hit an AMPS tower where the 600mW output of my CDMA Samsung couldn't. This may also be where the CDMA Oki 900 thing is originating from.
    Last edited by skroo; August 10, 2004, 16:45.

Comment

Working...
    X