Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defcon Movie Channel Filler

<really lame promo>
    From the same people who brought you the leaked Scavenger Hunt item, Leetest Link, the Defcon Movie Channel, the Scavenger Hunt itself, and 3 of the talks this year, we now present the highly requested Defcon Movie Channel Filler*!
    </really lame promo>

I'm not even finished uploading the first batch yet, but I have un-used bandwidth to consume this month so hurry and download before wednesday. It would of been cool if I had made these all into torrents, but I didn't think anyone wanted to wait that much longer while I figured out how to set that all up. Maybe I'll do that with the last 4 big clips, in which case I could probably add even more of the clips I cut out of the running.

http://ibaku.net/filler/

* Bandwidth and storage limits apply.

omg leech! :)
    "These last twenty minutes have been the best years of my life." -Goliath, "The Matrix Comics"

Comment

Thank you very much. I appreciate your effort.

Oh, and torrents are very easy to set up ... if you have a server to set up a tracker. I'm sure that if you run out of bandwidth one of us can do the work of setting it up.

Comment

Looks like it might have to go that way, the server is taking quite the hit already with 4GBs of transfer. I have full access to the server, got a recommendation for a tutorial of setting up a tracker?

Comment

The documentation is actually very good on this one, with step-by-step instructions:

To start hosting -

1) start running a tracker

First, you need a tracker. If you're on a dynamic IP or otherwise
          unreliable connection, you should find someone else's tracker and
          use that. Otherwise, follow the rest of this step.

Trackers refer downloaders to each other. The load on the tracker
          is very small, so you only need one for all your files.

To run a tracker, execute the command bttrack.py Here is an example -

./bttrack.py --port 6969 --dfile dstate

--dfile is where persistent information is kept on the tracker across
          invocations. It makes everything start working again immediately if
          you restart the tracker. A new one will be created if it doesn't exist
          already.

The tracker must be on a net-addressible box, and you must know the
          ip number or dns name of it.

The tracker outputs web logs to standard out. You can get information
          about the files it's currently serving by getting its index page.

2) create a metainfo file using btmakemetafile.py

To generate a metainfo file, run the publish btmakemetafile and give
          it the file you want metainfo for and the url of the tracker

./btmakemetafile.py myfile.ext http://my.tracker:6969/announce

This will generate a file called myfile.ext.torrent

Make sure to include the port number in the tracker url if it isn't 80.

This command may take a while to scan over the whole file hashing it.

The /announce path is special and hard-coded into the tracker.
          Make sure to give the domain or ip your tracker is on instead of
          my.tracker.

You can use either a dns name or an IP address in the tracker url.

3) associate .torrent with application/x-bittorrent on your web server

The way you do this is dependent on the particular web server you're using.

You must have a web server which can serve ordinary static files and is
          addressable from the internet at large.

4) put the newly made .torrent file on your web server

Note that the file name you choose on the server must end in .torrent, so
          it gets associated with the right mimetype.

5) put up a static page which links to the location you uploaded to in step 4

The file you uploaded in step 4 is linked to using an ordinary url.

6) start a downloader as a resume on the complete file

You have to run a downloader which already has the complete file,
          so new downloaders have a place to get it from. Here's an example -

./btdownloadheadless.py --url http://my.server/myfile.torrent --saveas myfile.ext

Make sure the saveas argument points to the already complete file.

If you're running the complete downloader on the same machine or LAN as
          the tracker, give a --ip parameter to the complete downloader. The --ip
          parameter can be either an IP address or DNS name.

BitTorrent defaults to port 6881. If it can't use 6881, (probably because
          another download is happening) it tries 6882, then 6883, etc. It gives up
          after 6889.

7) you're done!

Now you just have to get people downloading! Refer them to the page you
          created in step 5.

BitTorrent can also publish whole directories - simply point
          btmakemetafile.py at the directory with files in it, they'll be published
          as one unit. All files in subdirectories will be included, although files
          and directories named 'CVS' and 'core' are ignored.
          In particular, note the last paragraph about publishing directories.

Comment

Originally posted by Tierra
            Looks like it might have to go that way, the server is taking quite the hit already with 4GBs of transfer. I have full access to the server, got a recommendation for a tutorial of setting up a tracker?

password protect the server, make people PM you for the Login/Pass.

Comment

Yeah, that was pretty simple... Gentoo even added a nice init script =)

The server is still checking it's hash, but here's the torrent:
              http://ibaku.net/filler/dcmc-filler-2004-part1.torrent

I'll keep a seed up on the server with however much bandwidth I have left for the month, after that, my seed is gone. Those of you that already downloaded a good chunk of the filler can use those files to save some downloading.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. The only time I had a chance to watch was when
                "Sneakers" was on.

Al
                "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Yeah, I actually have not even had the chance to see all of this myself yet. I watched one or two movies during defcon, and was pretty busy myself... I've been catching up and watching everything since I got back (which is also part of the reason it's taken me so long to put this up).

Comment

Yeah, I actually have not even had the chance to see all of this myself yet. I watched one or two movies during defcon, and was pretty busy myself... I've been catching up and watching everything since I got back (which is also part of the reason it's taken me so long to put this up).
                    I've had some laughs watching it. If you get a chance, feel free to put up the other stuff.

Al

Comment

Thanks! I've seen a good bit of this stuff before but never bookmark or save them. So how much more stuff is there?

Comment

all I got to snag was a copy os the pool jump from DC10 that was promised to me like 2 years ago and I never got it until now (better Nate than Lever).. next time I'm in the 801 I will bring my dvd burner and run off a few copies for distribution if you would like...
                        If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                          all I got to snag was a copy os the pool jump from DC10 that was promised to me like 2 years ago and I never got it until now (better Nate than Lever).. next time I'm in the 801 I will bring my dvd burner and run off a few copies for distribution if you would like...
                          That would be cool.

I've got enough filler to do another 3 torrents, possibly more. With the tracker up, I've figured another way I can post all four torrents, but I'll be releasing them one at a time so they can get seeded. I'll post here as soon as I get the torrents up.

Comment

Joe, say it ain't so

In regard to the GI Joe parodies:
                            http://www.ebaumsworld.com/legal-hasbro.html
                            Does this mean they'll be coming after our defcon shirts next?

Al

Comment

Working...
                            X