No Xmas for Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Xmas for Utah

Saw this today and I just had to shake my head. Just confirms my intent to never have anything to do with Utah anymore.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...grounds_santa/

Xmas 2004 looks like being a grim affair for Salt Lake City's kids after the city's airport board decided to revoke an exemption which allows Santa Claus to fly below 2,000 feet over the city on Christmas Eve, Reuters reports.

Until now, the rotund aviator was allowed to make low-level prezzie-delivery passes over Salt Lake City, while light aircraft were expected to maintain a more respectable altitude. However, the proposed new aviation code would remove this right - a move described as "modern and professional" by department of airports supremo Tim Campbell.

Campbell explained: "We were updating the ordinance and this provision had not been looked at for a number of years. Members of the panel felt it was just not appropriate."

There is nonetheless still hope for a bountiful Yule in Utah - the Salt Lake City Council still has to approve the change, and is reported to be "not amused". Councilman Carlton Christensen fumed: "I have a 4-year-old who still believes in Santa Claus."

The proposal goes to the vote next month. Outraged citizens are apparently planning to attend the meeting to "voice their concern".

If I were Santa, I'd avoid Utah. Who knows what affect it might have on the reindeer. I have visions of the reindeer going wild and flinging themselves at cars on I-15.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Nice to know that the government is taking good care of the tax dollars in Utah. Perhaps citizens in Utah might want to spend their taxdollars on school reform, or healthcare instead of paying these imbecile councilmembers salary!
    Last edited by allentrace; September 15, 2004, 06:32.
    Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

this is a new low
      humans... what a bad idea.
      t.h.ed.r.o.w.n.i.n.gm.a.n

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
        Saw this today and I just had to shake my head. Just confirms my intent to never have anything to do with Utah anymore.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09...grounds_santa/

If I were Santa, I'd avoid Utah. Who knows what affect it might have on the reindeer. I have visions of the reindeer going wild and flinging themselves at cars on I-15.

"We were updating the ordinance and this provision had not been looked at for a number of years. Members of the panel felt it was just not appropriate."
        The quote of all quotes.

Gormless

Comment

Heh. Perhaps there were complaints that the law endorsed a religious holiday, thereby violating the separation of church and state?

This beats the fight in Georgia over the flag by a long shot in absurdity. If THIS comes to a statewide referendum, I'll be howling with laughter.

Comment

Zelazny's Cat?

<--- *shouts* "Tiger! Tiger!"
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
            45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
            [ redacted ]

Comment

My opinion? (Not that it matters.)

Take it out unless it proves to be too much trouble. While cute laws and regulations such as this may be funny, shouldn't our government offer clear and concise laws wherever possible (I know, head-in-the-sky stuff). However, since it is a government of the people, if enough citizens care to attend the city council meeting, then leave it be.

Of course, they run the risk of this wasting more time in the future by leaving such laws on the books.

Comment

So wait, there is a law that says "Santa Clause" is allow to fly low to deliver presents? I miss read the arcticle at first. I though someone literally flew over every year, to make the kiddies happy. But this is just a "Fluff" law on second read. No one is accually "posing" as Santa, and flying over. Yeah, ditch the law, if the real Santa does fly over, no one will care. Who would arrest Santa anyways?
                "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
                  Who would arrest Santa anyways?
                  The Burgermeister tried to arrest good ol' Kris Kringle! Don't underestimate Santa's many enemies. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                    The Burgermeister tried to arrest good ol' Kris Kringle! Don't underestimate Santa's many enemies. ;)

So did the cops in The Santa Claus starring Tim Allen.

Gormless

Comment

Originally posted by Gormless
                      So did the cops in The Santa Claus starring Tim Allen.

Gormless
                      Yeah but little S.W.A.T Elves looking like they were pissing Tinsel; (High Grade) sprung him out of jail.

http://www.davesdaily.com/ <check this site out if you like odd news stories and pictures.
                      Last edited by allentrace; September 16, 2004, 09:47.
                      Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

Working...
                      X