New Jpeg virus & SP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jpeg virus & SP2

So, i've been reading a lot of articles about this whole thing. Also I found an example of a perl script that exploits it. I tried one of my own in PHP and it was caught by ZL but I was wondering how to do the shell stuff? like inserting malicious code.. couldn't quite figure that out. Anyone know much about this?

Originally posted by ProtonageNet
    So, i've been reading a lot of articles about this whole thing. Also I found an example of a perl script that exploits it. I tried one of my own in PHP and it was caught by ZL but I was wondering how to do the shell stuff? like inserting malicious code.. couldn't quite figure that out. Anyone know much about this?
    Read the rules.
    Go catch a falling star.

Comment

Originally posted by Import
      Actually, I don't see anything wrong with the post. He's not asking how to hack, he's talking about a specific vulnerability and how it works under certain circumstances.
      .: Grifter :.

Comment

i just think it's quite a spiff hack using jpegs, i knew about one back in 2k2 but seemed to be just a hoax, but this is for real... and it is vurnarble to the oh so mighty SP2, which makes me lmfao.

i think i sorta somewhat understands hwo it works.. it's basicly some bytes that tell the GDI to go all wack or something?

Comment

thats stenography
          Last edited by Webster; September 29, 2004, 06:46.
          blowfish:.2x10x448
          www.gnivirdrawn.com

Comment

Originally posted by Webster
            thats stenography
            Nope.

Stenography:

1. The art or process of writing in shorthand.
            2. The art or practice of transcribing speech with a stenograph machine.
            3. Material transcribed in shorthand.

Steganography:

The art of writing in cipher, or in characters which are not intelligible except to persons who have the key; cryptography.

Comment

OK, in an attempt to get this thread somewhat back on topic: for more information on the JPEG GDI vulnerability (which, I assume, is the one that was originally being referred to), I would recommend checking the last week or so's Bugtraq archive. There's been a fair amount of discussion on this topic, including POC code. Searching Google for 'GDI exploit' is also rather revealing.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                Nope.

Stenography:

1. The art or process of writing in shorthand.
                2. The art or practice of transcribing speech with a stenograph machine.
                3. Material transcribed in shorthand.

Steganography:

The art of writing in cipher, or in characters which are not intelligible except to persons who have the key; cryptography.
                :( i was close.
                blowfish:.2x10x448
                www.gnivirdrawn.com

Comment

Quoted posts are like pubic hair: only good to look at when properly-trimmed.

Comment

Nope, not in the least. It has nothing to do with crypography, it is an exploit that causes the GDI to shat upon itself. PoC code here (don't be a douce with it) and more info here.
                    Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

So where is it?

What I'm curious about is that we haven't seen a full blown worm based on this weakness yet.... what gives? Has the media over blow it again, or is this more of a bear to exploit than first though?

Or is everybody working on version 55 of Netsky?

Comment

I remember the "good old days" when someone would open a GIF file, thinking it was naked Brittany Speares, and it would be a hidden .exe extension which would auto-install a trojan.

What ever happened to people being inventive?
                        -Ridirich

"When you're called upon to do anything, and you're not ready to do it, then you've failed."

Commander W.H. Hamilton

Comment

Originally posted by Ridirich
                          I remember the "good old days" when someone would open a GIF file, thinking it was naked Brittany Speares, and it would be a hidden .exe extension which would auto-install a trojan.

What ever happened to people being inventive?
                          Go look in p2p programs. It's still there.
                          - Programmer -

Comment

I just just hoping for more imagination with the evil things people do to compromise our systems. Like, maybe I dunno, a graphic that says "Your files are now mine" or something....
                            -Ridirich

"When you're called upon to do anything, and you're not ready to do it, then you've failed."

Commander W.H. Hamilton

Comment

Working...
                            X