RSA Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RSA Keys

Do they same for different encryption/decryption software?
    I have public and private keys's been generated by one software, but they don't work at another(GnuPG)...?

As I understand it, the actual keys are the same across programs. This means that if you create an RSA key and encrypt a document with one program, then I can decrypt it with a different program (given the appropriate keys).

What is usually different, though, is how they keys are stored. In general, you cannot just copy the key file from one program to another. If you are attempting to copy a key in such a way, then perhaps you should look for ways to import keys in your program documentation.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarki
      Do they same for different encryption/decryption software?
      I have public and private keys's been generated by one software, but they don't work at another(GnuPG)...?

Are you referring to PGP and GPG cross-compatability? If so, then yes, you can use the same key pair in both, you just have to export the key from one (say PGP) to ascii and then import it with the other. It works going either way (i.e. you can export your GPG keys and then import them into PGP or vice versa).

If those aren't the two you are talking about, a little more info would be helpful.
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I'm talking off the top of my head here-I haven't looked at this stuff in a long time, so I may just be leading you astray. As I remember, if you have actual RSA public/private keys, there may be a problem, since I don't think GPG uses RSA (it uses an algorithm called ElGamal). However, I doubt if you actaully have "RSA" keys, since I think PGP started preferring ElGamal to RSA some time ago.

Someone correct me if I'm too far off base here.

Comment

Originally posted by yankee
          I'm talking off the top of my head here-I haven't looked at this stuff in a long time, so I may just be leading you astray. As I remember, if you have actual RSA public/private keys, there may be a problem, since I don't think GPG uses RSA (it uses an algorithm called ElGamal). However, I doubt if you actaully have "RSA" keys, since I think PGP started preferring ElGamal to RSA some time ago.

Someone correct me if I'm too far off base here.

http://www.wordiq.com/definition/ElGamal
          perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Working...
          X