Wirelessly networking a webcam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wirelessly networking a webcam

I would like to setup a webcam somwhere in my house and for it to connect to my network wirelessly. My question is, would it be cheaper to get a ethernet webcam and use a wireless bridge or to get one of the all in one wireless ones?

The cheaper you go the better chance it will be found. Even the wireless web cams need a power source, and if it is AC power then it is not terribly wireless. I'd recommend either a clock or a teddy bear camera, those are pretty innocuous.

Comment

I am sorta looking for a new webcam/security cam thing for my house, I have a crappy webcam from the early days, and it isnt cutting it. I was wondering for the sub-50 dollar range, can I get a decent webcam? I am willing to spend up to 100 but, If i can get by with something cheaper it would be alot better. I was also looking at gspy, the gnome webcam security app, has anyone compiled a list of cams working with linux?
      ~:CK:~
      I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Originally posted by sandig
        I would like to setup a webcam somwhere in my house and for it to connect to my network wirelessly. My question is, would it be cheaper to get a ethernet webcam and use a wireless bridge or to get one of the all in one wireless ones?
        If you don't have a wireless bridge or router already in place, it's probably going to end up running you about the same.

One thing to be aware of: the lower-end wireless webcams that are not explicitly advertised as being 802.11-compatible are probably using a similar 2.4GHz transmission method to the X10 cameras. These are notoriously easy to snoop; at least the 802.11-based models can be run over WEP. Not sure if this is the case or not with these, but given the price level they're being sold at I wouldn't be surprised if it were.

From a quick check on Google, there's not a lot in price between the basic ethernet and 802.11-based cameras. If you want to save $30, get the ethernet-based model and drop it onto your existing wired or wireless router; if you want a direct 802.11 connection, spend the extra cash and go wireless.

Comment

Working...
        X