Satellite Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite Radio

It has been around for a few years now, but how many people have adopted it sofar? XM and Sirius are the only two providers of the new service. XM receivers have been built into some new models of cars, and some radio personalities are fleeing to satellite radio to avoid ever restrictive FCC censorship. A notable example is Howard Stern, who just signed a multi-year 500 million dollar contract with Sirius satellite radio.
    So do you use it? Do you plan on switching over? Is it worth paying a monthly fee when most of us have our own digital music collections? And what about Satellite Radio versus streaming internet radio?

I'm planning on getting an XM radio in the near future. I like to do a lot of driving in the middle of nowhere. The drawback there is that if you dont like KGOD religious programming or KMEX mexican radio, you're usualy SOL. I figure an XM would allow me to listen to regular radio while still enjoying being in the middle of nowhere.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

I listen to Stern everyday, but will not be buying a Sirius receiver to continue that trend in 2006. I mainly listen to my CDs anyway because I like listening to an album all the way through. I just can't justify paying thirteen bucks a month so that I can hear Howard on my 12 minute commute to work each day.
      perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
        I just can't justify paying thirteen bucks a month so that I can hear Howard on my 12 minute commute to work each day.
        True, but those receivers work in a home or office environment as well. A friend of mine has an XM setup in her office, and it works just fine without perfect line-of-sight with the Satellite.

Comment

The new stereo I bought for my car came Sirius ready, but I highly doubt that I'll be subscribing, I listen to my cd's more than the radio and my deck reads mp3 discs, so I think I'm pretty much set.
          The mighty man will become a tinder and his works a spark; both will burn together with nothing to quench the flames.

Comment

Originally posted by noid
            I figure an XM would allow me to listen to regular radio while still enjoying being in the middle of nowhere.
            If you're fortunate. From talking to people who have bought both XM and Sirius receivers, even in places where'd you'd expect the signal footprint to be good they're getting black spots on reception. According to both of them, their reception is ironically better in cities due to the ground-based repeaters in play than in relatively open parts of the desert or mountains at times.

One other consideration is that non-mobile receivers will quite often need external antennas to get any reception at all. The satellite signal is not that great at penetrating building materials.

Both my cars have XM-ready stereos in them. The receiver units cost nearly as much as the head units - and then there's the subscription fee. If they were on a TiVO-style pricing model where you could just throw down $300 and get a lifetime subscription I'd be more interested, but the $13/month ongoing fee is a turnoff.

Having said that, the Playboy Channel is available. Only recommended for vehicles with an automatic transmission, from what I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
              Having said that, the Playboy Channel is available. Only recommended for vehicles with an automatic transmission, from what I understand.
              Satelite Radio probably want Manul transmission owners to get the playboy channel in their car that way their Stick Shift is a subliminal message
              Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

I have heard a lot about the XM radio and the Sirius Receivers. They sound like they are pretty good tools like in Noid’s case. But I think I'll be good just listening to the good old radio and my music collection.

Comment

I find an iPod preferable to radio of any form :)
                  45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                  45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                  [ redacted ]

Comment

The idea of satellite radio is too little too late. We needed this before we have CD players in cars.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                      The idea of satellite radio is too little too late. We needed this before we have CD players in cars.
                      And napster on their PC's. (Not advocating any illegal activity, just merely commenting on how the illegal pirating of music has changed how people listen to their music)

Comment

I already pay for cable at my place...there is no way I am going to pay for
                        radio in my f-----g *car*.

Al
                        "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Ive had sirius built into my deck since last xmas, but 13 is too much to throw down in my opinion, I like what they bring to the table and the idea behind it, when they crank down the price a little I'll probably be all over it.
                          .:. Adrenaline .:.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                            If they were on a TiVO-style pricing model where you could just throw down $300 and get a lifetime subscription I'd be more interested, but the $13/month ongoing fee is a turnoff.
                            IIRC, Sirius is doing a lifetime subscription deal until the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by drdank
                              IIRC, Sirius is doing a lifetime subscription deal until the end of the year.

The reason why being that they need to pull in some capital to justify the Stern contract to their Shareholders.

Comment

Working...
                              X