Metasploit Framework. Opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metasploit Framework. Opinions?

I've been playing around with the metasploit framework (www.metasploit.com) off and on the past couple weeks and have found it to be a really interesting tool. Still haven't decided exactly how I feel about the ease of use however. Thought I'd ask what others think of this thing and process the opinions / point of views. Amazing advance in penetration testing tools, or amazing advance in script kiddie tools?

-zac
    %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Originally posted by pr0zac0x2a
    I've been playing around with the metasploit framework (www.metasploit.com) off and on the past couple weeks and have found it to be a really interesting tool. Still haven't decided exactly how I feel about the ease of use however. Thought I'd ask what others think of this thing and process the opinions / point of views. Amazing advance in penetration testing tools, or amazing advance in script kiddie tools?

-zac
    More or less both... that can be said about many tools out there.
    Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by 0versight
      Do they contact the developers of the vulnerable code before releasing the exploit? I didnt find such information on the website or their introduction .pdf that was shown at defcon 2004.
      As far as I know (and as far as I have observed), all the exploits are public and have already been posted, etc. I have never seen a 0-day in it.

Comment

I will call this a script-kiddie tool. It hasn't much options like Nessus has when it comes to finding security holes. Basicly it's just a type and press enter script-kiddie tool. Nessus is what I call a penetration testing tool.. Another tool in the penetration testing category is Core Impact. I haven't tried it out though, because it's not free :(
        But one thing is nice about The Metasploit project. You can learn a little bit about shellcoding and exploit writing.
        -- dev_zero@

Comment

Originally posted by dev_zero
          I will call this a script-kiddie tool. It hasn't much options like Nessus has when it comes to finding security holes. Basicly it's just a type and press enter script-kiddie tool. Nessus is what I call a penetration testing tool.. Another tool in the penetration testing category is Core Impact. I haven't tried it out though, because it's not free :(
          But one thing is nice about The Metasploit project. You can learn a little bit about shellcoding and exploit writing.

But it is damn handy to have if you are doing a pentest.. Nessus is just as much as a script kiddie tool if you look at it that way... it is all automated attacks. Personally, if I am getting paid to do a pentest, I want to have all the tools I need to get the job done and get paid. It is a very handy tool for learning as well, as are many of the tools out there. It is what you make of it.

Comment

Originally posted by che
            But it is damn handy to have if you are doing a pentest.. Nessus is just as much as a script kiddie tool if you look at it that way... it is all automated attacks. Personally, if I am getting paid to do a pentest, I want to have all the tools I need to get the job done and get paid. It is a very handy tool for learning as well, as are many of the tools out there. It is what you make of it.
            Yes, I can't argue with that. I suppose you can use both of the tools to pentest a network or machine.. First scan it with nessus then try the exploits. Slightly modified if needed. Not a bad idea.
            -- dev_zero@

Comment

Working...
            X