X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What three books would you take?

You should already be familiar with H.G. Wells The Time Machine

For all the kiddies, the girst time it was moade into a movie was not 2002, it was 1960. From the book by H.G. Wells, a scientist and tinkerer builds a time machine and uses it to explore the distant future where there are two races, a mild gentle race, and a cannibalistic one living underground. One half is a race called Eloi who live above ground, and are peaceful, yet have very little knowledge. The other race, the Morlocks, live below ground. They provide food for the Eloi, but turn out to be doing so, in order to eat them.

George destroys the Morlocks, and returns to his home - only to pick up three books and return back, to rebuild the Eloi civilization.

My question is... what three books would you take?
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth

Originally posted by FreezerBurn
    My question is... what three books would you take?
    - Anything instructional in brewing and distilling.

- Anything instructional in gunsmithing.

- The Great Shark Hunt by Hunter S. Thompson.

Comment

1. The Bible- Its obvious, and there is always something new to read in it that you missed before.

2. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak- I'd need some good art work and a fanciful tale to appease all the children.

3. The Improvised Munitions Handbook- Who knows who I would need to pop a cap in and/or detonate in my brave new world. :)
      The dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Xodia
        1. The Bible- Its obvious, and there is always something new to read in it that you missed before.

2. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak- I'd need some good art work and a fanciful tale to appease all the children.

3. The Improvised Munitions Handbook- Who knows who I would need to pop a cap in and/or detonate in my brave new world. :)
        On the subject of Brave New World I would bring:

1. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
        2. Boy Scouts Handbook
        3. Harry Potter book. (Why? because even if the world was in total destruction I would like to ensure that there would be geeks in.)
        Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

We should not choose a book that has already been listed by a reply before us. This will add to the challenge for later repliers.

1. "All Quiet on the Western Front" -Remarque

2. "The Republic" -Plato

3. "To Serve Man" - some Kanamit cook :>

Comment

1. War & Peace

2. The Black Lamb and the Grey Falcon -Rebecca West (H.G. Wells' partner in crime)

3. Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (the answer is 42)

Comment

Was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy out in 1960? Try again!

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                Was Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy out in 1960? Try again!
                Hid did have a time machine. It would be the only thing from the 70's worth stopping for.

Comment

Originally posted by yankee
                  Hid did have a time machine. It would be the only thing from the 70's worth stopping for.
                  How dare you! What about Hula Hoops, Mood Rings and Pet Rocks?

Comment

How dare you! What about Hula Hoops
                    You mean the extruded plastic dingus (you know, for kids)? The Eloi would be doomed without it.

As for pre-1960 books that I would take into the future to build a new society? I don't think I can rush into that one. Some sort of how-stuff-works book, an analysis of government/economies, and Sun Tzu's Art of War (I'm not sure a world full of pansies is going to get far).

Comment

I tend to lean toward the narrative fiction side of literature so here are mine:

The Stranger - Albert Camus
                      One Day In The Life Of Ivan Denisovich - Alexander Solzhenitsyn
                      The Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
                      The mighty man will become a tinder and his works a spark; both will burn together with nothing to quench the flames.

Comment

We should not choose a book that has already been listed by a reply before us. This will add to the challenge for later repliers.
                        Alright in which case I would choose Niccolo Machiavelli - The Prince in favor of A Brave New World.

Comment

Hunter S. Thompson is my hero.
                          http://www.gonzo.org

Comment

Originally posted by 0versight
                            yeah the bible is a great book.......I mean its only the basis that some people have used to justify killing millions......
                            I would be careful with that thinking if I were you, someone might think you are not thinking at all. Mass generalization like that makes me think you are ignorant as well as prey to Hasty Generalization. And considering the last post of yours I remember was this. It only makes me think you need to start shit with others beliefs in order to make your life worth living.

Originally posted by 0versight
                            I would be very careful on what types of books I would take because they are power in a sense, especially history or scientific books. But maybe books on philosophy. s
                            Again you like Generalization. Perhaps some specifics. Possibly Darwins, Origin of Species or Freud's Group Psychology and the Analysis of the Ego . These books sound right up your enlightened alley.

Comment

Duh, people

How about The Way Things Work?

Al
                              "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Working...
                              X