Canada Fights Cyber Terrorism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Fights Cyber Terrorism

Good Job Renderman, it looks like they're finally coming after you.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...08404_93287408

OTTAWA — A high-level national task force is being assembled to help Canada steel its defences against potential cyber-attacks by terrorists.

The head of Canada's electronic spy agency said the panel of private- and public-sector officials will help the country catch up to the United States in securing cyberspace.

Communications Security Establishment chief Keith Coulter noted Washington has already begun moving to protect their own key grids and networks.

"From my perspective, it is essential that we take this step as well,'' Coulter said Friday in a speech to members of the Canadian Association for Security and Intelligence Studies.....

<RTFA>

They're coming to take me away, ha ha. They're coming to take me away, ho, ho, he, he, to the funny farm, where life is beutiful all the time.....

'bout time they are starting to think about it too. Just looking through my wardriving logs I keep thinking that they really need to get thier crap together soon. Some of the stuff I've been seeing is pretty scary.

Oh, and if CSE is watching, My logs are available, just ask!
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Wow imagine the danger Canada would be in if they allowed satellite dishes.

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
        They're coming to take me away, ha ha. They're coming to take me away, ho, ho, he, he, to the funny farm, where life is beutiful all the time.....

'bout time they are starting to think about it too. Just looking through my wardriving logs I keep thinking that they really need to get thier crap together soon. Some of the stuff I've been seeing is pretty scary.

Oh, and if CSE is watching, My logs are available, just ask!
        Just think about it though, if they took you away then you would no longer be forced to drive through Utah to get to Defcon. But then again then there would be no more Defcon period for you. On a serious note though, If propositioned by the government to help with security issues would you consider it your duty to help your country secure its future. Obviously this is a universal question. I know working for the government carries a certain stigma to it. On the flip side of that though I feel an allegiance to my country, (U.S.A.) and in relation to this article should the need arise that the US needs able minded computer users then I would be certain to help (should that situation be critical, hypothetically speaking) just as I would be sure to volunteer for war should the situation be critical.
        Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

Originally posted by allentrace
          Just think about it though, if they took you away then you would no longer be forced to drive through Utah to get to Defcon. But then again then there would be no more Defcon period for you.
          I've quit jobs to goto Defcon, a little thing like incarceration would stop me

On a serious note though, If propositioned by the government to help with security issues would you consider it your duty to help your country secure its future. Obviously this is a universal question. I know working for the government carries a certain stigma to it. On the flip side of that though I feel an allegiance to my country, (U.S.A.) and in relation to this article should the need arise that the US needs able minded computer users then I would be certain to help (should that situation be critical, hypothetically speaking) just as I would be sure to volunteer for war should the situation be critical.
          Hope we are'nt wandering into politics to much by answering....

I did a radio interview a couple years ago for a local station after the whole CSIS thing and they asked basically the same question and then, my answer then, as now even with lots more thought is that I am willing to work *WITH* the authorities but not *FOR* them.

I've tried to give my logs and warn agencies around town of some of the scary things I find but they never have taken me up on it. The funniest was when I tried to invite the local CSIS office to dinner after WWWD3.

I agree with CSIS and CSE's goals (protection, intelligence, national defense, etc), I don't care much for thier methods however. Read up on Maher Arar to see what I mean. However I can put that aside if they asked me to help secure thier shit for national securities sake, however I would never help them in anything I believed to be against the ideals of freedom (i.e. Providing data so they can snoop on citizens networks).

Oh, best part of the article:

CSE and agencies in the United States, Britain, Australia and New Zealand share intercepted communications of interest with one another.
          *cough* Echelon *cough*
          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

No the question was not meant as political. And thanks for the reply.

Comment

Originally posted by allentrace
              No the question was not meant as political. And thanks for the reply.
              The question was somewhat "humorous" :) but the call had been there, between lines... critical times? yes, more than you may belive... keeping the land clear from major issues takes a lot of efford... there are plots all around the clock...

Some of us, may or may not be here in a near future... anyhow... there is work to be done... but you must walk through that door by yourself.
              Love is a Mental Illness

Comment

Originally posted by blauman
                The question was somewhat "humorous" :) but the call had been there, between lines... critical times? yes, more than you may belive... keeping the land clear from major issues takes a lot of efford... there are plots all around the clock...

Some of us, may or may not be here in a near future... anyhow... there is work to be done... but you must walk through that door by yourself.
                Forgive me if I mistake your meaning...but if it is sarcasm then maybe I should have rephrased the question. It should have gone like this, "Even though I was arrested by MP's while on base, and my dad was cut and called on the carpet by General Zinni, (Pendleton’s CO of the 1st MEF at the time who would become Commandant of the Marine Corps.) I would still feel some sort of obligation to the government that arrested me being that it is still my country that I am a citizen of. So the point as it were is that does obligation to ones country override ones personal belief. And I think Renderman summed it up nicely when he said he would work with but not for his government." But I understand the amusement about the post, as its intent was not well thought out.

Comment

allentrace,

No sarcasm intended, through there is a degree of amusement, I took the issue seriously. Moral obligation does override personal needs and belief. There are some good options available "with" the proper agencies, and the right channels.
                  Last edited by blauman; October 24, 2004, 07:44. Reason: repeated pattern
                  Love is a Mental Illness

Comment

Working...
                  X