Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why MS paid Novell half a billion bucks today

Straight from The Register:

Microsoft paid Novell $536 million dollars today, although it might not be enough to fend off a fresh antitrust case, which Novell says it will file by the end of the week. Novell says issues relating to the WordPerfect office suite, which it briefly owned in the early-1990s, are still outstanding.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11...re_settlement/

Speaking of expecting half a billion bucks from Microsoft, what'sd the status on that class action suit where we are supposed to get credits towards future MS purchases (blech) due to pricing laws?

Comment

Originally posted by 0versight
      That's fuckin crazy.....but I wonder how much they are going to end up paying after it's all said and done?
      Not enough to make even a slight dent in their cash on hand accounts.. they have one hell of a war chest put aside just for these ocasions.
      Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by che
        Not enough to make even a slight dent in their cash on hand accounts.. they have one hell of a war chest put aside just for these ocasions.
        Yup. What was more interesting in all of this, though, is how that's going to directly fund Novell's Linux development efforts. If someone can actually come up with a Linux derivative that's as usable (for the rest of the world) as a Windows box, they actually have a reasonable shot at making a dent in the desktop market.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
          Yup. What was more interesting in all of this, though, is how that's going to directly fund Novell's Linux development efforts. If someone can actually come up with a Linux derivative that's as usable (for the rest of the world) as a Windows box, they actually have a reasonable shot at making a dent in the desktop market.
          You mean lindows doesn't cut it? But seriously I completely agree with you, I realy do not think of Windows and Bill Gates as the Rockefeller and Standard Oil of the day. I think that until Linux becomes user friendly (by that I mean as well marketed as MS) BIll Gates will continue to have a couple billion for philanthropy and Anti Trust law suits.
          Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

Linux VS Microsoft

Give it a little most time for the open source market to hit Gates where it really hurts when they release a fully DUMMY PROOF gui. Linux we all here, can agree is the shit.
            For the nOOb or the everyday work horse who pounds on a desktop doing data entry every day Linux still needs work. But when the fool proof is deployed... Hang on.. Gates the Polar Express is going to hurt your bank account!

I know i couldnt install it and hand it to any of my customers and have them install new programs or update the core when updatable. -maybe i have stupid customers!
            lol

Comment

I don't know how you guys fend for bringing 'dead posts' back but, novell is going to be a very good company. My moms cousins husband is the VP for Novell. I Get free cd's and such all the time. Its going to be the new aged technology as it is in command format, rather then user format.

Comment

Originally posted by D1c3mano4
                I don't know how you guys fend for bringing 'dead posts' back but, novell is going to be a very good company.
                Oh, my naive young friend. You have so much to learn.

My moms cousins husband is the VP for Novell. I Get free cd's and such all the time. Its going to be the new aged technology as it is in command format, rather then user format.
                My best friend's sister's mother's boyfriend was talking to the guy who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. Does this mean we're related?

Comment

Antenna's...monitor....these are after market items that you'd be able to add...

What I would do is pop off the antenna(may just be a bnc male type connector) run some rg 8qs or rg 58 coaxil to a antenna a/b switch then feed from there your home made beams/panels
                  of joy....

Comment

Working...
                  X