Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ashcroft Resigns

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ashcroft Resigns

    DO NOT turn this into an "I hate <insert party here>" or "Bush is a moron" thread.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/...ons/index.html

    If you can't figure out why this falls into community talk without being political about it do a little research.
    perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

  • #2
    Here's hoping the doorknob hits him squarely on the ass.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by skroo
      Here's hoping the doorknob hits him squarely on the ass.
      Iam wondering who will get the nod for his job as well as what will happen with the other cabinet positions mainly Powell and Rumsfeld.
      Did Everquest teach you that?

      Comment


      • #4
        It will be interesting indeed to see what direction the Justice Department takes once new leadership is appointed. I do hope that regardless of whoever is appointed, it is a step *up* from Ashcroft...I'm sure there are plenty of people wanting the job that are worse than John ever thought about being.
        Proverbs 17:28 -
        Even a fool appears wise when he uses Google.

        Comment


        • #5
          I agree with a change in cabinet. They were selected around January 2001. The world is different now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by rot_link
            It will be interesting indeed to see what direction the Justice Department takes once new leadership is appointed. I do hope that regardless of whoever is appointed, it is a step *up* from Ashcroft...I'm sure there are plenty of people wanting the job that are worse than John ever thought about being.
            Good generalization.
            Did Everquest teach you that?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by allentrace
              Good generalization.
              I dunno... In one sense, he has a good point: better the devil we know vs. the one we don't. Problem is, either way we may end up with the devil, and the next one may not necessarily be any better.

              Having said that, I'm having a hard time seeing how the next one could be much worse.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by skroo
                Having said that, I'm having a hard time seeing how the next one could be much worse.
                Famous last words, my friend...
                So far, the last two attorney generals we have had were total fuckups. Hopefully, we will get one that will be decent and will not be a zelot.

                At least Ashcroft still has his singing career..
                Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by che
                  Famous last words, my friend...
                  Yep. Unfortunately, all we can do is sit here and hope that his successor is an improvement - we're not going to get to vote on who that replacement is.

                  So far, the last two attorney generals we have had were total fuckups. Hopefully, we will get one that will be decent and will not be a zelot.
                  I'm really hoping that his successor will *not* be Larry Thompson. The sole reason I say this is that I have serious concerns over Thompson being Mini-Ashcroft -after all, the two have been friends for years, so hopefully he hasn't been prepping a direct replacement.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Know who would make a good Attorney General? A Microsoft Lawyer.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      CNN has just announced that Alberto Gonzales has been appointed.
                      Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        It may have been a step down from Ashcroft... With the news that Alberto Gonzales has been appointed to the position of Attorney General, I decided that I would look into the history of this individual and see what type of person we may end up getting for the position. (He has not been confirmed yet).
                        Well, I discovered that Alberto Gonzales is the self same presidential advisor who urged the President to adopt the policy that "prisoners captured in Afghanistan were not protected by the Geneva Conventions and that torturing suspected terrorists might be permissible." http://www.kfdx.com/news/default.asp...ownews&id=6918
                        http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml%3...0607&s=editors
                        http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4999734/

                        I am now rather worried about what type of ramifications this might have for US citizens in general. Makes ya long for the good 'ol days of John Ashcroft.
                        Proverbs 17:28 -
                        Even a fool appears wise when he uses Google.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Rot_link -- Don't do the crime if you can't do the time!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by rot_link
                            I discovered that Alberto Gonzales is the self same presidential advisor who urged the President to adopt the policy that "prisoners captured in Afghanistan were not protected by the Geneva Conventions and that torturing suspected terrorists might be permissible."
                            And that is so terrible right? Torturing TERRORISTS that have sponsered or supported the death of American and other countries citizens. There is not a gray area here like Iraq, in Afghanistan there are undeniably terrorists in that country.
                            Did Everquest teach you that?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by allentrace
                              And that is so terrible right? Torturing TERRORISTS that have sponsered or supported the death of American and other countries citizens. There is not a gray area here like Iraq, in Afghanistan there are undeniably terrorists in that country.
                              Thats an oversimplification. Thats like saying, "If I catch you running into my backyard, no matter what the circumstances, I can take you out where no one can possibly see or do anything and slowly torture you." Yes, most of the people that were captured in Afghanistan were terrorists, but it is possible that some weren't. I'd rather not torture potentially innocent people LEGALLY.

                              Besides, I think its pretty safe to assume that we'd torture some of the people anyway.
                              The dude abides.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X