Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lock your domains or prepare to get hijacked

http://news.netcraft.com/archives/20...me_easier.html

Domain names could become easier to hijack as a change in domain transfer rules takes effect Friday. Under new rules set by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), domain transfer requests will be automatically approved in five days unless they are explicitly denied by the account owner. This is a change from current procedure, in which a domain's ownership and nameservers remain unchanged if there is no response to a transfer request.
    If your domain registrar offers a locking feature for your domains, you better activate it before Friday. Otherwise, prepare to get hijacked if you fail to answer e-mail.
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Owch! I guess the fee I paid for a locked domain was a good idea.

Comment

I was under the impression that the vast majority of registrars offered it as a free service. The ones I've delt with do anyway. Out of curiosity, how much extra did your registrar charge for your "locked domain"?

Comment

It's free at Dotster, although you have to click through about 10 screens to activate it
        45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
        45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
        [ redacted ]

Comment

I'm wondering how long it takes business to poo-poo this. I figure after a few of them get jacked or get tired of having to deal with the deny requests ICANN will change their tune about it.
          Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

hmmm,

If you cast a wide enough net and requested domain transfers for, say, the fortune 100 companies. I wonder how many you'd get....

I think you you suddenly had possession of walmart.com or something, I think that ICANN would be beat severly around the wallet and change back.

Time to dust of the domain stalking hobby... New project for this weekend!
            Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
              hmmm,

If you cast a wide enough net and requested domain transfers for, say, the fortune 100 companies. I wonder how many you'd get....

I think you you suddenly had possession of walmart.com or something, I think that ICANN would be beat severly around the wallet and change back.

Time to dust of the domain stalking hobby... New project for this weekend!
              Exactly what I was thinking.. evil minds think alike! :)
              Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by che
                Exactly what I was thinking.. evil minds think alike! :)
                Nah, just Evil drunk ones...
                Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I just locked all mine with godaddy, simple to do, one button click...my favorite domain name reg. thus far.
                  ~:CK:~
                  I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

As much as I hate Network Solutions, their domains are locked by default. So score one for them. Now if they could make up for all the other things wrong with their company.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Yeah, I locked all mine as well.. I got that email from godaddy, thier systems was stupidly simple. Amazed me when it only took 1 click, and was on the main screen of the account management, free.

Just as I thought with Dotster, 3 times more trouble. There was no way to select all the domains on the main management menu, but if you went somewhere else in the site like (renewals) it allowed you to select them all. From that page you could add the locking service for free, after 3 pages and a checkbox..
                      Last edited by [Syntax]; November 15, 2004, 00:01.

Comment

Oh, great.
                        *Has no money for a locked domain*
                        EDIT:Wait, Network Solutions has domains locked by default? Hooray, I'm not screwed!
                        If everything in life is coming your way, then you're probably on the wrong side of the highway.

Comment

I havent seen any place thats charging to lock domains. GoDaddy, NetSol, Dotster are all doing it for free, its just they are not being consistent in how to do it (GoDaddy does it in one step, NetSol does it by default, Dotster makes it as difficult as possible).

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                            I havent seen any place thats charging to lock domains. GoDaddy, NetSol, Dotster are all doing it for free, its just they are not being consistent in how to do it (GoDaddy does it in one step, NetSol does it by default, Dotster makes it as difficult as possible).
                            Joker seems to also be doing it by default, and configuration of the locking is pretty straightforward.

Comment

Let's see...I think Doteasy was charging to lock domains when I first joined. I'm looking for a different place now anyway, though, so maybe I'll go to one of the fore mentioned sites.
                              If everything in life is coming your way, then you're probably on the wrong side of the highway.

Comment

Working...
                              X