This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewall

Is it just me or are there no decent software firewalls for windows that aren't riddled with exploits and holes or require a subscription now days? If anyone knows of any, it would be greatly appretiated...

Windows comes with a firewall, it's going to keep you safe from anything evil doers are gonna throw at you.

Not that you would ever need one, but Kerio offers a good firewall
    http://www.kerio.com/kpf_download.html
    Where's the dedication?

Comment

I might get flamed for this but I like ZoneAlarm. So far I have found it rather difficult to run my computer as a server with it and my router, but that comes from my lack of knowledge on the subject. Yes, the Professional version is a subscription, but in my opinion, its worth it(any protection at all is worth some price). Otherwise, I found this...
      http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ls&safe=active
      Hope that helps any.
      The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.
      Or the one that ends up in dev/null.

Comment

Actually, I'd rather flame you for your dark green on grey text, but thats just me. :)

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by TwinVega
          Windows comes with a firewall, it's going to keep you safe from anything evil doers are gonna throw at you.

i'm using the windows firewall right now, but it just doesn't feel right...

Comment

Originally posted by BinaryDigit
            Feel Right? A firewall is not a condom.
            Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

If you don't like what's freely available you may be forced to go and spend money on a firewall.... It really depends on what you want... Maximum Protection? No skill involved in using? Free?

Comment

No firewall is absolutely hole proof, but I think the Windows firewall does a pretty decent job...just as long as you remember to download the updates.
                If everything in life is coming your way, then you're probably on the wrong side of the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by TwinVega

"ANYTHING"? Bold statement...
                  Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                    If you don't like what's freely available you may be forced to go and spend money on a firewall.... It really depends on what you want... Maximum Protection? No skill involved in using? Free?
                    skill level doesn't matter to me... but, i want great protection.... and i want a firewall that prevents outgoing connections as well as incoming connections (unlike the windows firewall)... Kerio has always just gave me problems, crashing... deleting my rule set... deleting my custom list... etc... just about always seen a widely known hole in many of the versions of Zone Alarm....

Comment

i want a firewall that prevents outgoing connections as well as incoming connections (unlike the windows firewall)
                      I'm not an expert on the Windows firewall, but perhaps you are looking at an older version? The Microsoft Windows XP SP2 firewall prevents both incoming and outgoing (on a per-application basis) connections.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                        I'm not an expert on the Windows firewall, but perhaps you are looking at an older version? The Microsoft Windows XP SP2 firewall prevents both incoming and outgoing (on a per-application basis) connections.
                        i believe you're mistaken... i'm fully updated sp2 and it doesn't with me... half the time it seems that it doesn't block incoming...

Comment

i believe you're mistaken... i'm fully updated sp2 and it doesn't with me... half the time it seems that it doesn't block incoming...
                          Perhaps it's because you've allowed those applications?
                          the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by che
                            I'm sorry I didn't cake on the sarcasm thick enough, I should have been more bold.
                            Where's the dedication?

Comment

Originally posted by che
                              actually.. I like kerio/tpf enough that I would be safe in saying that myself. Of course there are ways to be exploited, but its a tool and a decent one at that :)

What matters more is how you use it. If you install it and then accept every packet and their mother that many Windows services use (even though you probably could have safely disabled them because you don't use/need them, tsk tsk), it's practically useless then isn't it... so is any other firewall. The nifty thing about Kerio is that it lets you define more intricate rules than most other Windows firewalling solutions.

now.. if you really want to protect your box... rip out all that fucking gamer mod shit and mod it proper.. have a hardware firewall INSIDE YOUR BOX!! thats right, female rj45 access on the outside for dmz/public network nodes, your internal network protected by a unix box inside. Firewall configurable through an ssh term from the only system on your internal network... yours! your external network is wherever you set you nic. Put that 500W power supply to better use than trying to pump more voltage to components so you can post 1337 fps stat screenshots.

this message is brought to you by a really happy man that wants to run a virtualmachine samba host for primary data storage on an ext3 partition for a Windows client, JUST BECAUSE HE CAN WITH HIS NEW SYSTEM WHILE ITS REMAINING PROCESSES CARELESSLY TAKE OVER THE WROLD!!!!WHUAHAHAHAH!!! no comment
                              if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Working...
                              X