Which wlan router

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which wlan router

Maybe this is the wrong forum for this. But I give it a shot.

I'm have recently bought an ibook with airport express (wireless lan card) and now I realy want to be more portable and get rid of all networking the cabels laying allover my floor. But I cant get tips in forum which brand to buy. Everyone just say D-link! I dont want to have D-link. Want something better. But not for expensive. I should be cool if it had a monitoring feature. I like to monitor. ;-) VPA crypt whould also be good but not a must. I dont need superduper antennas beacous I have a little flat.

So guys. Recomend me wlan routers!

Have a nice day everyone.

Regards from Sweden / Johan

Ah..more swedes. We're gonna have to set up some traps and catch them all.

To answer your question, I am a big fan of the Linksys WRT54G router. By itself, its a good AP, but you can also hack the firmware on it to add additional features.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by noid
      Something wrong with being Swedish? Other than the fact that we are neutral bastards. (well most are)
      Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

To answer your question, I am a big fan of the Linksys WRT54G router. By itself, its a good AP, but you can also hack the firmware on it to add additional features.

^Seconded. I've got one of these and its great to fuck around with until you accidentally break the thing and your roommates try to kill you.

-zac
        %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

So, there is more Swedish Vikings here. Well, have not explorede the forum very well yet. This is my first post! Wohooo. And more morething- You cant catch us. we are to smart.

Back to the subject,

I have been looking at the Linksys WRT54G. Seems to be a great router. But the LInksys WRT54GS Seems even better, caus is have 16MB rom, and the linksys WRT54G only have 4MB (If belive it was) Is it hard to reflash them with a new firmware? I read somewhere (think it was openwrt.com) that you had to tftp up the firmware. Is it just go to the Firmware Upload page and feed it with the .Bin file? I dont want to destrot my unit after a few hours of ownage. But is the wep cryp secure enough? I want VPA. But, if i change wep key ones i week I must be safe. ;-) I'm Paranoid!

And you should realy visit Sweden and take a trip with your fishing rod. We have great fishing!

Comment

Originally posted by pr0zac0x2a
            ^Seconded. I've got one of these and its great to fuck around with until you accidentally break the thing and your roommates try to kill you.
            You must mean the router. Surely you can't mean the Swedes?

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
              You must mean the router. Surely you can't mean the Swedes?

I'm sure he means the Swedes... ;-)

Comment

Here's two of the hacked firmwares available

https://sourceforge.net/projects/wifi-box/
                http://www.sveasoft.com/forum6.html

The sveasoft firmware is what most people are using and is considered stable.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

If you go with sveasoft, I recommend checking out ewrt. Not sure which is of the variants is most stable, but the site has all the info you'll need to play
                  if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Thank for all the replys. Great! Seems to get a wrt54GS. And reflash it after a while. But I still have some questions.. How fo I flash the unit? Just like ordinary via the update ffirmware webpage inside the router?

Comment

I traded my WTR54K and got the WRT54G on Noid's word. I have not run any hacks but at least Noid won't laugh at me if I have issues.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                        I traded my WTR54K and got the WRT54G on Noid's word. I have not run any hacks but at least Noid won't laugh at me if I have issues.
                        Hehe!
                        And the router works fins even without hacks?

Comment

Yup. Works fine right out of the box. It is my sole net access, hacking on it would be like hacking on my windpipe.

Comment

Just orderd one. :) Get it NEXT week I hope. Damn... Want it know!

I want a high gain anteena to. Which one should I get?

Comment

Originally posted by jlw
                              Just orderd one. :) Get it NEXT week I hope. Damn... Want it know!

I want a high gain anteena to. Which one should I get?
                              I googled this site a few years back building a 2.5 mile wireless bridge.
                              you name the antenna they probaly have it .

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/antennas_2400.php
                              the only question in life is , Why?

Comment

Working...
                              X