Fedora Core 2 up2date problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Core 2 up2date problems

My copy of Fedora Core 2 doesn't like up2date. Whenever I try to retrieve large numbers of updates, up2date hangs. I'm running a 32 bit version on an AMD Athlon 64. Is this part of the problem? I recently obtained the x86_64 version, and will be installing that over my current Fedora Core in the next couple of days. Apologies if this has already been covered somewhere else.

You should probably try asking this in a Linux/Redhat/Fedora support forum. We arent tech support

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Download Fedora Core 3 instead I think the update problems are fixed in that release...
      -- dev_zero@

Comment

Note on up2date. A cow-orker ran up2date on FC3 late last week and it totally destroyed his FS. I can't provide much more info than this because I don't use FC3 and the individual was more than capable of rebuild so it fell squarely into the category of not my problem.

I will say that I am always very wary of auto-updaters for patches and packages. I prefer to individually download, investigate and manually install patches to ensure that there won't be an undesired outcome to my actions.
        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I have a decent idea which cow-orker it was.

Just like any other auto-update solution, there are many things that can go wrong during an upgrade that can render a system unusable. I've been running RedHat for a few years now, and anytime I do a clean install, before I use any of the up2date/apt/yum updates, I check out forums and newsgroups to make sure there wasn't a last minute "gotcha"

http://www.fedorafaq.org
          http://www.fedoranews.org

Good luck.
          Aut disce aut discede

Comment

The people I have spoken to say that the update problems which also was in FC2 have been fixed.. But it is a very good chance that the Fedora developers fixed the old problem and made 10 new problems.. I thinkt he best is to use Debian or a similiar distro, personaly I like Slackware.
            Last edited by dev_zero; January 5, 2005, 05:29.
            -- dev_zero@

Comment

Originally posted by dev_zero
              The people I have spoken to say that the update problems which also was in FC2 have been fixed.. But it is a very good chance that the Fedora developers fixed the old problem and made 10 new problems.. I thinkt he best is to use Debian or a similiar distro, personaly I like Slackware.
              That almost sounds like you're saying that the Fedora developers aren't quite competent enough to create a stable product (relatively speaking).

I ran into the initial problem mentioned above from time to time while I was running FC2 and the release candidates for FC3 on a few of my development servers, and there were actually two places where it liked to hang up. Most common would be during the initial part of an up2date session where it was attempting to contact the remote servers, it would sometimes get caught up there, hang for a minute and then take a dive, returning several dozen lines of the update script along with a couple of error messages.

The other place where I noticed issues was after it had contacted the servers and was attempting to resolve any dependency issues related to the packages flagged for updates, but this happened maybe 1/3 as much as the former problem. I have one server currently running FC3 now and from what I've seen so far both of those problems seem to have vanished with the last release candidate before the final product was released.

As for the problem Chris mentioned, I unfortunately ran into the same thing a number of times with *every* release candidate for FC3. The initial OS install would go off without a hitch, I'd run up2date to get the latest updates, ok so far, but as soon as the system was rebooted it would fail half way through startup and required the OS to be rebuilt.

The thing to remember about Fedora, Amroukithkin, is that it is intended for people who want to stay on the bleeding edge of things and have constant updates to take advantage of the latest releases of software, and because of that, while the developers do their best to catch problems like the ones mentioned above, bugs are bound to sneak in from time to time.

Debian has a lot of nice things going for it, and I'm sure Slackware does too although my experience with that one is pretty limited, but Fedora has a lot of excellent qualities as well, and if its a system that you're comfortable using then switching to Debian or Slack as suggested above, over a single issue like the one you described seems a bit extreme. Keep in mind that with the relatively fast paced development of fedora there may be a bug or two down the line, but they work pretty quickly to take care of it.

</$0.02>

Comment

Originally posted by xerph
                As for the problem Chris mentioned, I unfortunately ran into the same thing a number of times with *every* release candidate for FC3. The initial OS install would go off without a hitch, I'd run up2date to get the latest updates, ok so far, but as soon as the system was rebooted it would fail half way through startup and required the OS to be rebuilt.
                Happened to me this weekend on FC3. RH has been sending out updates like mad at the end of the year, so I figured I would try Up2date instead of manully updating. It failed miserably. Wasted at least 5 hours of a perfectly beautiful saturday that I'll never get back.

Comment

Interesting. I had assumed that it was just some bug that they had to get worked out of the RC's. I'm glad I haven't run up2date on any of my servers for a few weeks. I think I'll just adhere to the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage for a while and wait until things settle down a bit before upgrading anything that way again.

Comment

Interesting. I had assumed that it was just some bug that they had to get worked out of the RC's. I'm glad I haven't run up2date on any of my servers for a few weeks. I think I'll just adhere to the old "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage for a while and wait until things settle down a bit before upgrading anything that way again.

The problem is that there have been a crap load of security patches through out December. Just reading through Errata Alerts is time consuming. Now I remember why I don't like RH.

Comment

Thanks for the info. It's good to know I'm not alone. I've got it running now, the x86_64 version seems to be happier than the previous version.

Comment

I have fc3 here on a test box because it has some utilization of selinux that I wanted to check out and in x86 version up2date works just fine, there are a set of new security patches just about every day.
                        ~:CK:~
                        I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

Hi All,

have you tried YUM on the same machine..? Might be good to review differences in performance etc. Cheers.

coolboarderguy...

Comment

Debian has a lot of nice things going for it, and I'm sure Slackware does too although my experience with that one is pretty limited, but Fedora has a lot of excellent qualities as well, and if its a system that you're comfortable using then switching to Debian or Slack as suggested above, over a single issue like the one you described seems a bit extreme. Keep in mind that with the relatively fast paced development of fedora there may be a bug or two down the line, but they work pretty quickly to take care of it.
                            I don't think it's extreme as you want it to be. Looks like most of the guys who has tried Fedora and has posted in this thread has several problems with Fedora. So what's wrong about trying a different distro? It seems like more bugs are coming and less are fixed.

I think that some of the Fedora developers' problems is that they are allways trying to deliver the latest up to date software so they have to hurry the development. They don't have the time to check the stability of their updates before they let the users download them.. Maybe if they had used a little longer time to test their updates and release them more often the stability will improve?
                            -- dev_zero@

Comment

Working...
                            X