Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hiding items in win start menu

Hey guys,

Im trying to make my pc a little more "me".

I would like to remove the search, help and support and the Log off... items from the start menu. Im using the classic start menu view.

Can this be done? I rarely use search, and definatley never use log off or help. they seem a waste of time and in my way. By removing these items my cursor wouldn't have to travel so far after i have clicked the start button.

Any help much appreciated guys.

Matt Phillips

I can't directly answer the question, but it might help if we knew what OS you were talking about.

If you are discussing some variant of Windows, have you looked into something like TweakUI?

Comment

reshack could do it in style...

Comment

Or you could just forget the mouse and use the keyboard.

*if* you are in fact talking about windows, just press the start button, then the first letter of the place you want to go goes there. then hit enter and you're set. believe it or not i find it faster than the mouse.
        Answering easy questions since 1987
        Si Dieu est pour moi, qui peut ĂȘtre contre moi?

Comment

Originally posted by Second
          Or you could just forget the mouse and use the keyboard.

*if* you are in fact talking about windows, just press the start button, then the first letter of the place you want to go goes there. then hit enter and you're set. believe it or not i find it faster than the mouse.
          Not sure if you mean clicking the start button with the mouse, but if you want to completely eliminate the need (and speed the process up a bit more), most keyboards have a start/windows key on them. In between ctrl and alt. Just hit that instead.
          - Programmer -

Comment

If you are in an active directory domain this becomes real easy. If not then you will be hacking the registry until the cows come home. But it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
              Not sure if you mean clicking the start button with the mouse, but if you want to completely eliminate the need (and speed the process up a bit more), most keyboards have a start/windows key on them. In between ctrl and alt. Just hit that instead.

Sorry, yes, that is what I meant.
              Answering easy questions since 1987
              Si Dieu est pour moi, qui peut ĂȘtre contre moi?

Comment

Working...
              X