X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DefCon TV (Continued from other thread) -> 23

On-Topic Links:
    http://www.defcontv.org/

I have nothing to do with the organization of DC TV, but I am trying to help with at least one movie and some custom-made filler/content.

This thread is a continuation of another thread that I/we unkindly highjacked in the DefCon Events section.

Now to continue the discussion from the highjacked thread:

Originally posted by TheCotman
    What I can do is this:
    Send the original uncompressed video, the subtitles file and the script I used to make the final video that was NTSC ratio and speed within a letterbox and subtitles pre-burned into the bottom black-space of video. Then, you can check out the script, run it and have it build a video file.

*That* video file should at least work on your system like it does mine. (I think this might be about 3-4GB of data.)

As for methods to move the files, I prefer scp instead of ftp for the advantage of encryption, or webdav over ssl, and if these are not available, then ftp would be fine. (Maybe gpg of file before ftp?)

If that does not work, I can see if I am able to free up 4GB of space on one of my servers and then give you an https URL with username/password required.

Originally posted by Tierra
    Originally posted by TheCotMan
    If that does not work, I can see if I am able to free up 4GB of space on one of my servers and then give you an https URL with username/password required.
    That would work best since wget -c might come in as a life saver.
    I think I have the space needed, and will be uploading the file(s) to a server. I have sent an e-mail to Grifter on getting this video out to you DCTV people. After I get a response on who owns the copy I sent out via snail-mail, we should be able to move forward with this. It will be https, and I'll need to send you a username/password.

I can include the original, the subtitle file and the script I used to generate it so this process can be completed on your end to have something that works for you.

You will be looking at about 4.8GB of data, and then the filler video would be another download later of 1-2GB. (estimated)

[Crap. I should have posted this in the DefCon 13 discussion.]

[Tierra: I got a response from Grifter. Check your DC-Forum Messages so we can arrange this off the forums.]
    Last edited by TheCotMan; January 24, 2005, 17:54. Reason: Wrong section....

Nevermind, eco found the original DVD. We'll see if we can't work on it from there, and if not, we've got a couple other ideas of places to find it.

Comment

Nevermind, eco found the original DVD. We'll see if we can't work on it from there, and if not, we've got a couple other ideas of places to find it.
      Ok. Let me know if you change your mind. The video quality on this 4.8GB rip is very good. Also, the subtitles on the R0 version are not as good as the ones we worked on. There are 2 or 3 different DIVX Encoded AVI floating around on the internet that will work with our .sub files.

With the script, you can letterbox this PAL ratio to fit in an NTSC space with a black band at the bottom to allow the subtitles to mostly not cover the video.

Comment

Hope ya'll figure this out. I would love to see this movie.

Al
        "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Originally posted by alklloyd
          Hope ya'll figure this out. I would love to see this movie.
          Progress is very good. Tierra and I have been working through this. (BTW, IMO Tierra is pretty cool. :-)

Progress is fair.
          Tierra now has a 5GB video that plays. (check)
          What is left:

Re-index the subtitles to match the master 5GB file.
          Provide the scripts I used to letterbox, subtitle, and convert PAL aspect ratio to NTSC and fps.
          Tierra to inspect, modify and/or run the script for mencode of the video. (It takes about 1 to 3 hours to re-encode with this-- and that is on a pretty fast machine too.

The script is done. (Has been, just need to get it off a home machine and send it.)
          The subtitles have not yet been re-indexed for the 5GB file because I suck and was not home this weekend like I planned. :-/

Comment

... (BTW, IMO Tierra is pretty cool. :-)
            eh.. he's getting there
            If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
              eh.. he's getting there
              I'm glad I get to go through another year of Defcon watching you make a complete fool of yourself for the Scavenger Hunt. Now your just pushing me to start thinking up items more aimed at you doing them Maybe we should have team captains and restrict some tasks to team captains only...

Progress is very good. Tierra and I have been working through this. (BTW, IMO Tierra is pretty cool. :-)
              Eco deserves a lot of credit on this as well. Most of the video work is most likely going to be done on his hardware since he's got the copies now. He was the one that coded up all of the movie channel script last year as well. He's more focused on the DCMC while I'm more focused on Scavenger Hunt, but we both work on both. That was also one of the factors that led to Leetest Link not being very organized since we were all working on other stuff. My talk last year barely pulled through as well with one of our speakers with the presentation material not showing, and me being sick with heat stroke from driving all over Vegas the Thursday before the con. Thankfully I got to look forward to watching Siviak pull some of the most crazy stunts every day of the con

Comment

Eco deserves a lot of credit on this as well. Most of the video work is most likely going to be done on his hardware since he's got the copies now.
                Yes, eco is great. eco provided me with a description of what kind of edge-loss would be expected for playing the video. (You can check out the script I made available to you for a comment I copied from eco in efnet where his edge-loss values are stated in percent to 3 sig figs. :-)

This allowed me to have the script (Tierra, you can check it out) to take an original PAL aspect ratio and resolution mpg, oversize a large letterbox around the whole frame to account for the edgeloss (black bands on all 4 sides) and still alter the aspect ratio, resolution and framerate to NTSC for broadcast TV, burn in and raise antialiased subtitles with high contrast background, and then re-encode the final stream to use Divx

Final size, ~1.6GB (from the original 5.05GB).

I'll look to upload some filler content (about 30 minutes worth) and scripts to convert those mpg to avi (totaling about 1.5GB) but it may take a week or two.

There are others who wanted to see 23 at DefCon. Alklloyd is only one of several people who expressed a desire to see this. Once it appears to work, why not announce it here? :-)

Thankfully I got to look forward to watching Siviak pull some of the most crazy stunts every day of the con
                Siviak? Doing a crazy stunt? No way. That could never happen-- he is so quiet and is such a conformist.... ]:>

/me hides behind a rock to see Siviak's reaction to that comment.

Comment

There are others who wanted to see 23 at DefCon. Alklloyd is only one of several people who expressed a desire to see this. Once it appears to work, why not announce it here? :-)
                  Yeah, we'll do that as soon as we know it works (hopefully should know in the next few days).

Comment

Now your just pushing me to start thinking up items more aimed at you doing them Maybe we should have team captains and restrict some tasks to team captains only...
                    my thoughts exactly.. and beings as I RETIRED LAST YEAR (as anyone that was at the awards presentation would know...) I have some great ideas thougth up just to see if anyone else out there is as willing to publicly humiliate themselves as I was for years.

/me hides behind a rock to see Siviak's reaction to that comment.
                    oh.. .you'll get yours buddy... just you wait
                    If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

I just finished hooking up tarabyte server for working on this kind of content and project. If you need somewhere to store/edit/work on dvd stuff let me know, I'll hook up an account.
                      "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
                        I just finished hooking up tarabyte server for working on this kind of content and project. If you need somewhere to store/edit/work on dvd stuff let me know, I'll hook up an account.
                        That's tempting, but where we have some decent machines to do video work already physically accessible, putting an internet connection in the way doesn't help much. I hope it doesn't come down to storage space... since you mention it, unless I clear off some of last years content, I don't have much storage space left for new content. I think I might have enough money to get a new drive anyway though pretty soon.

Comment

I don't have much storage space left for new content. I think I might have enough money to get a new drive anyway though pretty soon.
                          I have 5meg pipe into my network (your upload, my download) let me know if you have storage needs. Also wouldn't hurt to have all that data locally :)

spec

4x 250g RAID 0
                          Gigabit Ethernet /w Jumbo Frames
                          40gig OS drive
                          "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

I didn't want to start up a new thread on this, but did want to announce that 23 is now in the line-up for Defcon 13 Movie Channel. If there's anymore rare, hard to find, good movies you can think of that are worthy to be in the line-up as well, now is the time to mention them. Just don't do it in this thread, you can post up requests here:

http://forum.rootcompromise.org/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Comment

I didn't want to start up a new thread on this, but did want to announce that 23 is now in the line-up for Defcon 13 Movie Channel.
                              Woohoo! You rock! I'll setup some custom filler made for DefCon next. :-)

Comment

Working...
                              X