X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft To End Security Updates for Pirated Windows

http://enterprise-security-today.new...story_id=30038
    You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

To their credit (or because of their legendary incompetance) they're giving folks an opportunity to get legal before they come after them RIAA style. It's been 7 years since they started *trying* to secure their OS with something resembling a meaningful registration key.

Go legal or go Linux will likely be their campaign. I think I'll get some popcorn and watch the dirty, dirty skript kiddies get hauled away by the MS software politzia. This should be entertaining.
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

In China, Norway and the Czech Republic, the online authenticator will offer discounts on genuine copies of Windows XP Latest News about Windows XP to participants who discover that they are running pirated software.
      As I understand this:
      If you dont want to pay the full price for their OS, then get an illegal copy, test it, then get the opportunity to pay for a discounted copy.
      I bet it won't really be cheaper. I think I'll just be a link to buy online at the normal price, and if you shop around you would be able to get it cheaper.
      Twigman

Comment

Originally posted by Twigman
        As I understand this:
        If you dont want to pay the full price for their OS, then get an illegal copy, test it, then get the opportunity to pay for a discounted copy.
        I bet it won't really be cheaper. I think I'll just be a link to buy online at the normal price, and if you shop around you would be able to get it cheaper.
        A problem with this is that many pirated copies of different windows versions have had problems:
        1) Been the beta release with a "hack" to allow it to not expire
        2) Included trojan software
        3) Been incomplete

If their cheap upgrade is to just sell you a key, then this does not seem like a good deal
        If they will sell you the CD and new key, then maybe it might be worth while.

However, is it worth the cost of having your name/location (assuming shipping) associated with using pirated software? Could admitting to using pirated software place you at leagl risk, such as historical evidence that you have used pirated software in the past? (MS is not the only one... I can use FUD too!)

Comment

It won't work. There is always a new mouse trap and the determined mice just find another way to feast their cheese. Kudos for Microsoft to grow a couple balls and start implementing what they implied during the development of Whistler. It won't work.
          if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

This may sound like a dumb question, but how could they tell the difference between a pirate copy and say for instance a copy that was made from an .ISO file downloaded from one of the many P2P or torrent sites, that had a good Product Code?
            I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

I am sure they know all the good labels, and if I post my serial numbers here, then I basically invalidate my legally owned license. The companies check the web for serialz too, I am sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Floydr47
                This may sound like a dumb question, but how could they tell the difference between a pirate copy and say for instance a copy that was made from an .ISO file downloaded from one of the many P2P or torrent sites, that had a good Product Code?
                I applaud you Floydr47 because you've either never installed a legal copy of Windows or you've successfully avoided the new key system that MS is using. It goes something like this, give or take a few beers:

The license key is used to generate a hash ID based on a unique machine identifier, iirc, the MAC address of the NIC or the processor serial number. This information is sent to MS during the "Activation" process. License + hash is stored in their database. When Windows starts up, it checks to make sure it's an activated copy, recalculates the hash and does a checksum. Windows then prompts the user to activate or shuts down if the install grace period is expired.

If you try to activate a copy that is already registered in the database on another system, activation will fail. If you don't activate the windows installation, it will only run for a limited amount of time. If you don't have an internet connection, they ask you to dial-up. If you don't have dial up, they will walk you through a process on the phone to give you an activation code that you can manually enter. If you don't have a phone and you live in a cave somewhere, why do you have a computer and why the hell are you running windows? This is also true with later versions of MS software.

I encountered this when I imaged a configured installation *after* activation. I ended up on the phone with MS tech support going through the process manually. The next step was to build a completely new, clean configuration and image it before I activated it. That allowed me to take the image from (identical) machine to machine and enter the legal license for that machine, prior to the activation.

So, you really have two choices: pay for the OS and get a legal license or use open source and be reminded, fairly regularly, that open source is only free if your time is worth *nothing*. In other news, nothing is free...

Comment

Thank you for explaining that for me NDEX. I was curious because I had a "friend" who downloaded MS Office 2003 for XP Home Edition in the manner I described and "he" had no problems with activating it and it ran fine. I think now he has a legal copy.
                  I enjoy talking to myself...it's usually the only intelligent conversations I get to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Floydr47
                    Thank you for explaining that for me NDEX. I was curious because I had a "friend" who downloaded MS Office 2003 for XP Home Edition in the manner I described and "he" had no problems with activating it and it ran fine. I think now he has a legal copy.
                    If someone has a generator for valid license codes, that would be *slick*.

Not that I'd ever use something like that...

Comment

The only way I know of to register a product without it talking back to Microsoft is to use either a special install of the program which does not require serial numbers, or to have Select serial numbers that do not phone home. Both of these are available to anyone who signs a contract with Microsoft and purchases at least 750 points worth products in the contract period.

Of course if word gets out that you posted your Select serial numbers, you're gonna wish you had never been born.

Incidentally I have these Select codes, owned legally, in case I ever have the need to build a SQL Server on a moment's notice while traveling in the middle of the Ghobi. Stranger things have happened.

Comment

I may have gotten off the track of the idea that I was trying to convey. There are many companies, such as Home Choice, Colortyme, Rent-a-Center, ad infinum, that sell computers on a weekly payment plan. When people fail to make their weekly payment, these computers are picked up and often re-installed with OEM software. Now the OEM number is not always going to match up to the "computers ID number". The next customer comes along and buys a computer that has been previously owned and has been installed with whatever. With all of these rental/purchase computers in use...how can Microsoft know who has what and what is legal and what is not? I purchased software from a rental center that went out of business and the install codes were included...but that same software with the same codes had probably been installed countless times on other machines. There are lots of flea markets and used CD/DVD stores in my area that also carry computer software. Is this software legal to purchase and install or does it violate some copyright law? It just appears to me as a legal "grey area".

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                          Both of these are available to anyone who signs a contract with Microsoft and purchases at least 750 points worth products in the contract period.
                          That's still not pirating, that's volume licensing.

Comment

Floyd,

I am sure under the terms of the purchase agreement, the computer is not theirs until the final payment is made, therefore the software still belongs to the company until the final payment.

Ndex,

Yes, it is volume licensing. I never said it was pirating. If I post these numbers on the web then I am asking for trouble, hence they stay close to me at all times. Now pirating is the illegal USE of these codes. What is the term for illegally OFFERING these codes?

Comment

im using winxp atm and never used winxp bought version :P i used some wrong cd key but then got some other and got even sp2 lol good key :P i only have been using win 98 (i tihnik)
                              i hope u dont tell microsoft that i didnt pay for windows..
                              i think that the cd is copyd from real one what my friend bought .. so atleast someone payd for it :P
                              Da-X-

Comment

Working...
                              X