Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Linux Os...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which Linux Os...

    I am finding issues with my Proxim Orinoco 11a/b/g Combo Card. I have been trying to figure out how I would go about installing this on a Linux. Then I ran into a problem. What Linux operating system should I use? I am clueless on this subject. Yes, I’m going to use this for Wardriving. So what ever Linux OS would Benefit me would help so very much.

    Here is the specs on my wireless card. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...167-101&depa=0

  • #2
    Originally posted by Ozone
    I am finding issues with my Proxim Orinoco 11a/b/g Combo Card. I have been trying to figure out how I would go about installing this on a Linux. Then I ran into a problem. What Linux operating system should I use? I am clueless on this subject. Yes, I’m going to use this for Wardriving. So what ever Linux OS would Benefit me would help so very much.

    Here is the specs on my wireless card. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...167-101&depa=0

    I have a few questions first:

    1) Why are you installing linux? Is it just for Wardriving?

    2) Why are you wardriving? This goes along the lines of you intentions. (I'm skeptical by nature).

    3) What type of LapTop do you have?


    A few bits of Information:

    1) Try running a google search using the follow string: Orinoco, Model 8480-WD, Linux

    2) If you're installing linux, make sure you have a better purpose then just wardriving.

    3) After you answer the questions above I'll be able to provide you with better information.

    Comment


    • #3
      1)I am installing Linux because it has a lot more tool in which I can experiment with. Well it will be mostly Wardriving, but I will be using it mostly for network security.

      2)The reason I am Wardriving is because I really enjoy it and I like broaden my knowledge on networks security. Intentions wise are all good. No breaking of the law or stuff like that with out permission.

      3) this is the specs on my laptop: http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as2010.htm

      As for the whole Linux thing I have Fedora Core 3 on my laptop as a duel boot, but it just doesn’t like my wireless card. I just want this able to test network securities, and Linux has more tools to do that than windows. But, I do use Fedora 3 on my desktop computer.


      I don’t mind the skeptical nature that you have.
      Thank you for the reply highwizard

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Ozone
        1)I am installing Linux because it has a lot more tool in which I can experiment with. Well it will be mostly Wardriving, but I will be using it mostly for network security.

        2)The reason I am Wardriving is because I really enjoy it and I like broaden my knowledge on networks security. Intentions wise are all good. No breaking of the law or stuff like that with out permission.

        3) this is the specs on my laptop: http://global.acer.com/products/notebook/as2010.htm

        As for the whole Linux thing I have Fedora Core 3 on my laptop as a duel boot, but it just doesn’t like my wireless card. I just want this able to test network securities, and Linux has more tools to do that than windows. But, I do use Fedora 3 on my desktop computer.


        I don’t mind the skeptical nature that you have.
        Thank you for the reply highwizard

        Does Knoppix-STD recognize the Card?

        http://www.knoppix-std.org/

        Comment


        • #5
          You shouldn't have any problem with Knoppix STD. It comes with a patch driver for your card.

          Comment


          • #6
            The best Linux OS (ie, distro)? Depends on you. Personally, I wouldn't touch Fedora with a 30 foot steel pole while behind a lead wall, but that's me. In the end, it's all Linux. You're going to have to go through the same crap in each distro to add the module for your wireless card (more or less). If you're looking for a good 'newbie' distribution, I'd recommend Ubuntu (and it supports the Proxim/Orinoco card in a fresh install) but, it's all in what you prefer. Distrowatch (www.distrowatch.com) might be the place to start to compare distros.
            dataw0lf

            Comment


            • #7
              ok, well if your looking for an easy to run and manage distro fedora core 3 is cool, offers some interesting features (selinux) and the ability to upgrade your kernel with a single click of the mouse. If you hate on fedora without backing things up, I am guessing your hating on it just because that is what the cool leet kids do. If you feel confident with fedora, I would check out Gentoo, it has a really easy way to get your card working.....and then of course we can go to the BSD's which have awesome wifi support and tools BSD-airtools being some of the better ones.

              compile the kernel with support of orinoco cards left out...easy to do might just forget anyways
              emerge orinoco
              emerge kismet
              ~:CK:~
              I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ck3k
                If you hate on fedora without backing things up, I am guessing your hating on it just because that is what the cool leet kids do.
                Heh. I tried to keep my reply short by stating that it was my own opinion, but, apparently, that isn't enough. While FC3 had some _major_ improvements on FC2 (and I assume you remember the disaster that FC1 was), I still have some major issues with it as a distribution.

                First and foremost are the package management tools. I won't get into extreme loathing of rpms (stemming from a traumatic episode with RH 7.1 that has haunted me since), but up2date and yum are still crap. From what I've helped troubleshoot on fresh FC3 installs, up2date is still slow as shit and crashes randomly at any and all problems. I don't think I'm making a huge jump in saying that most FC* users have found apt and synaptic to be the solution to alot of these problems, and, of course, those are Debian's (and thus Ubuntu's) tools.

                I'll give a nod to Red Hat for compiling FC3 with gcc 3.4.2. The speed is noticeable, especially compared to earlier versions of Fedora. However, as you cruise around FC3, you'll notice a recurring theme: this is the Red Hat engineers' pet project, and it feels like it. Broken dependencies, crappy multimedia support, the thrown together feel of LVM, etc, they all leave me, personally, with a bad taste in my mouth.

                In the end, I said 'my opinion' for a reason. And gave a link to Distrowatch, so he could decide for himself. Linux is Linux. I prefer Debian, and on the Unix side, FreeBSD. Other people have different tastes.

                Oh, and by the way, the Bluecurve theme makes me naseous.

                dataw0lf

                Comment


                • #9
                  I was looking more for a forum type place but found this. I hope this helps any.
                  The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask.
                  Or the one that ends up in dev/null.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ozone
                    I am finding issues with my Proxim Orinoco 11a/b/g Combo Card. I have been trying to figure out how I would go about installing this on a Linux. Then I ran into a problem. What Linux operating system should I use? I am clueless on this subject. Yes, I’m going to use this for Wardriving. So what ever Linux OS would Benefit me would help so very much.

                    Here is the specs on my wireless card. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...167-101&depa=0

                    Slackware linux. You can download it on this site http://www.slackware.org/
                    http://www.slackware.org/getslack/
                    "There is no patch for human stupidity"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      well, ubuntu for me is the best distro arround; it's a debian but much more updated than a woody , witch i think it's almost 4 years old, witch in opensource time is a lot.

                      You can get it here www.ubuntulinux.org .And even better you can ask for the original cd's totally free :)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Cybrid
                        well, ubuntu for me is the best distro arround; it's a debian but much more updated than a woody , witch i think it's almost 4 years old, witch in opensource time is a lot.

                        You can get it here www.ubuntulinux.org .And even better you can ask for the original cd's totally free :)
                        I asked for three and it took a while to get to me, but you can't beat free!
                        "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Cybrid
                          well, ubuntu for me is the best distro arround; it's a debian but much more updated than a woody , witch i think it's almost 4 years old, witch in opensource time is a lot.

                          You can get it here www.ubuntulinux.org .And even better you can ask for the original cd's totally free :)
                          Ubuntu is god and we are just lost sheep without it.
                          Did Everquest teach you that?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Wireless "problems"

                            Try a usb wireless device
                            I would but I am to poor LOL

                            Thus far every usb device including my Belkin ethernet wired 10/100
                            works fine
                            howvwe since I am a newbie to Suse Linx I have as of yet gotten my Belkin f5d7010
                            802.11b card to power up.
                            Of course i only installed Suse Linux last friday evening/early saturday.
                            Crista

                            Originally posted by Ozone
                            I am finding issues with my Proxim Orinoco 11a/b/g Combo Card. I have been trying to figure out how I would go about installing this on a Linux. Then I ran into a problem. What Linux operating system should I use? I am clueless on this subject. Yes, I’m going to use this for Wardriving. So what ever Linux OS would Benefit me would help so very much.

                            Here is the specs on my wireless card. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...167-101&depa=0

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              i use suse 9.2.

                              It recognises my RoamAbout Orinoco Gold b card. Give it a try, it may work.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X