College Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hunting

My friend and I will be traveling from Maine to New york, then back to Massachusetts, in the pursuit of a great tech school. The list currently includes RPI, RIT, WPI, MIT, and Northeastern.
    My question is, for anyone who's been to some of these schools or currently attends, what would you suggest checking out? Do these schools allow prospective students to listen in on classes? Any suggestions about any of the schools? Thanks.
    - Programmer -

Tech what? Tech Management, InfoSec, InfoSys, CompSci, ??? What type of degree?

Personally I have not attended any of those colleges. Generally though it depends upon the institute. Most colleges in this state(WV) will allow you to set in on courses if requested. But, I think some of your questions depend upon you, and not the college. For example, MIT may allow you to set in on courses if they are interested in courting you. However, I wouldn't even expect them to talk to you without a application submitted showing you are one of the best.

I hear alot of excellent reviews about CMU (Pittsburgh) and WVUTech (Montgomery,WV) if you are interested in straying even further south.

Again, these are just my logical thoughts on the matter.

Comment

Well, I'm mainly learning towards Comp Sci or Comp Eng. I'd like to take a few side courses in general security, but I also enjoy programming and it seems that's where I'm heading so far.

I guess I expected the answers on a request for a sit in to be a college by college basis, I just thought I'd ask incase anyone had some experience with doing so.
      - Programmer -

Comment

i have a friend at RIT majoring in computer science. he was ranked very high in my high school, and that says a lot. from what he has told me it's a lot of math (go figure) and science classes so far. very demanding but very rewarding.

Comment

Swing a little lower (PA) and check out Drexel University.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
            Swing a little lower...
            OT: I'm sorry, I saw this and just stopped. This should be on the QC cards this year.

Back on-topic, I figured you were talking about Bachelor's, but I have a friend who recently got his Masters in Information Assurance from Norwich Univ, which I believe is in Vermont. Seemed to be a strong curriculum, and was pretty well founded, IMHO.
            Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Originally posted by AlxRogan
              OT: I'm sorry, I saw this and just stopped. This should be on the QC cards this year.

Back on-topic, I figured you were talking about Bachelor's, but I have a friend who recently got his Masters in Information Assurance from Norwich Univ, which I believe is in Vermont. Seemed to be a strong curriculum, and was pretty well founded, IMHO.
              i attended a hockey camp there over two summers a couple years ago. Norwich is a military school (or at least was.) very small campus, older buildings, but supposedly good education. i can guarantee that it is a beautiful campus. as for computer science or computer engineering, i don't believe it to be stronger than other options.

great hockey team, btw.

Comment

If your interested in engineering you should check Purdue University and Rose Hulman Institute of Technology (both in Indiana), they are some of the best engineering schools in the nation.

Oh, and don't be fooled by the abbreviation for Purdue (PU), it's a great school.
                keepin' it real

Comment

Working...
                X