Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War Driving Contest a Minigame This Year, (No Full Wardrive)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War Driving Contest a Minigame This Year, (No Full Wardrive)

I was surprised to see the war drive this year was a mini-game. Maybe its just me, but I was planning to participate between lectures, and at night in a war drive that lasted over the weekend like last years.

Last year the wardrive lasted 2 1/2 days, and was point driven by detection of unique AP's, SSID configuration, and encryption status.

This year the War Drive wont be a contest of its own, but is included as part of the mini games. The Wardrive portion will be 1000 AP limit and the first team to 1000 wins.

First off, any individual attempting to participate wont have a chance against a team with more than 1 car.

Second, any individual or team that wins, and doesnt participate in the other mini games they have stolen 300 points from the others who are playing games to accumulate points. Pretty much screw everyone else.

Third, I know of 3 people who purchased hardware with the intent of using it for a full war drive, and are not prepared for some of the mini-games. If theres anyone else out there who was planning to participate in a full War Drive, is going to do the war drive but not the other games, please reply to this thread.

I already contacted Chris about the event, and the reason for the change was lack of participation in last years drive. He commented that if interest was shown, a change could be made.
    Last edited by [Syntax]; May 8, 2005, 18:34.

I've heard a lot of grumbling from participants after last year's drive about the full weekend drive. While a lot of people enjoy the full drive, doing it all weekend was just too much. It consumed your weekend and you couldn't enjoy anything else if you wanted to win. The one from the first year, which was only a few hours, was intensive enough. A lot of the feedback I've heard has been that games which require more skill than just driving around the city were preferred over the long drives. It's more challenging which in turn makes it more fun and it doesn't eat up your entire weekend.
    the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpus
      I've heard a lot of grumbling from participants after last year's drive about the full weekend drive. While a lot of people enjoy the full drive, doing it all weekend was just too much. It consumed your weekend and you couldn't enjoy anything else if you wanted to win. The one from the first year, which was only a few hours, was intensive enough. A lot of the feedback I've heard has been that games which require more skill than just driving around the city were preferred over the long drives. It's more challenging which in turn makes it more fun and it doesn't eat up your entire weekend.
      I think the mini games are a good idea but I think the weekend drive should still be a part of the competition. Like Syntax, I know people that have setup their rig for the full drive. I also share the concern of a team winning one event then dropping out. Doing this takes away points from other teams. Just my opinion
      Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
      -Homer Simpson

Comment

I'm kinda happy they're getting rid of the main drive...

Wardriving in and of itself takes very little skill. The mini-games however, do take some skill.

Third, I know of 3 people who purchased hardware with the intent of using it for a full war drive, and are not prepared for some of the mini-games. If theres anyone else out there who was planning to participate in a full War Drive, is going to do the war drive but not the other games, please reply to this thread.
        Then you know three people who are three years late on participating in a competiton. How many years in a row do you expect them to do the same thing? Like I said above, now they are trying to make the competition into something that takes actual skill to win. Wardriving itself is played out.

Comment

I for one like the mini-games.

The full drive took to much time, required sobriety, and took you away from the con.

The Fox&Hound contest should still be applicable for those 3 people's rigs. They just have to make sure they can switch to a mobile setup once they've found the area.

Oh, and if you can, please participate. I want more competition than just myself and 1Master.
          Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by [Syntax]
            I was surprised to see the war drive this year was a mini-game. Maybe its just me, but I was planning to participate between lectures, and at night in a war drive that lasted over the weekend like last years.

Last year the wardrive lasted 2 1/2 days, and was point driven by detection of unique AP's, SSID configuration, and encryption status.

This year the War Drive wont be a contest of its own, but is included as part of the mini games. The Wardrive portion will be 1000 AP limit and the first team to 1000 wins.

First off, any individual attempting to participate wont have a chance against a team with more than 1 car.

Second, any individual or team that wins, and doesnt participate in the other mini games they have stolen 300 points from the others who are playing games to accumulate points. Pretty much screw everyone else.

I already contacted Chris about the event, and the reason for the change was lack of participation in last years drive. He commented that if interest was shown, a change could be made.

A few things in response here. Like I said in my PM to you, there was a general lack of interest in the Main Drive last year. That was certainly a driver (heh) in the decision to run the contest differently this year.

As for screwing people by participating in the WD only. That really isn't the case. The first person to get 1000 APs will get 300 points, EVERYONE that gets 1000 after that gets 200 points. So you lose out on 100 points if you aren't first. Also, don't forget that a team of four also has to take the time to combine their logs whereas an individual can simply upload. I don't know if you remember some of the cluster fucks from years past with teams trying to combine/convert their data, but it's never pretty. In a lot of ways I would say that driving alone gives you a tiny advantage.

Finally, although it isn't mentioned on the page yet (still working some final logistics out) each mini game will have it's own prize and winner in addition to the overall winner. The idea is that there is still incentive to participate in an area where you feel that you have a specific skill, or where you'd like to develop a specific skill.
            perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

I'm definitely going to participate in all of the games. Right now I'm trying to get a handheld rig setup. I have the opportunity to buy a Pocket PC that has a SD slot. I have found a SD wireless card (after much research). Now I need to figure out how to bring it all together with mini stumbler running. I don't think I'll be much of a threat to you Renderman, but I'll give it a try and hopefully learn something in the process.
              Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
              -Homer Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by guile
                I'm definitely going to participate in all of the games. Right now I'm trying to get a handheld rig setup. I have the opportunity to buy a Pocket PC that has a SD slot. I have found a SD wireless card (after much research). Now I need to figure out how to bring it all together with mini stumbler running. I don't think I'll be much of a threat to you Renderman, but I'll give it a try and hopefully learn something in the process.
                I do take the games seriously, but that's because it gets me thinking about creative solutions to the problems presented (hence the creation of the warpack). It's all in fun. Hell, last year during the tag game I sent panthera back to our room to grab a cooler of beer and we were very happily drunk by the end and Chris's little speech at the forum meet.

I am surprised that anyone considers me a threat.

My assembled team on the otherhand.... :)

Comment

dammit.. if by some act of Joe Pesci I can make it to defcon this year, I will have to make a tshirt....

-- front

Bryan Adams vs. Rush
                  WWRD??

-- back

<image of roadkill deer>
                  what would renderman do??
                  if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Originally posted by converge
                    dammit.. if by some act of Joe Pesci I can make it to defcon this year, I will have to make a tshirt....

-- front

Bryan Adams vs. Rush
                    WWRD??

-- back

<image of roadkill deer>
                    what would renderman do??

BWHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Damn you! Cola all over the monitor...

Comment

Working...
                    X