Questions Concerning LPCon rules for 2005

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions Concerning LPCon rules for 2005

This message probably goes out to Kai, since I think he would have the final say in the matter:
    I assumed that the rules for 2005 will be similar if not the same as last year, so I've already checked there first. The rule list states, "Only manual picks and tools will be allowed. No mechanical or automatic type devices," my question is where is the line drawn for "mechanical" devices.
    Specifically, I'm currently starting to practice with a circular tension tool. I find it offers alot of advantages over a standard tension tool, but only when raking. The tool that I have specifically is a Dino spring loaded circular tension tool, brass with a pressure button. If you don't know the one I'm talking about I'll attach a picture to this post.
    On the one hand, it is by definition mechanical. On the other hand, it's not much different from a feather touch tension tool. You know, the ones that are coiled like a spring in the middle of the wrench.
    Obviously the reason I want a ruling on this is because I think it would offer me an advantage, and it's close enough to the rule that I'm not sure. So, I would like to be allowed to use it. However, I also would prefer not to spend alot of time practicing with tools that I won't be allowed to use in the contest.

-Sp8

P.S.
    I'd appreciate it if you could let me know in your response whether or not it would be appropriate to argue the decision if you decide against it.
    P.P.S.
    Well, I tried to attach the image (Size: 23.33 KB) and I recieved an error that the image Dino.jpg "Exceeds forum quota by 8.26 MB." I'll let you all boggle the deeper meaning of "heavy" image content, but in the mean time here's a link to the same image:
    http://www.southord.com/images/fullsize/dnt-21.jpg

I don't get a say, but personally, I would'nt care if you used it. It's more a personal preference than any sort of mechanical advantage. Personally I don't like the spring loaded tensioners since there's no feedback.

Any monkey can be given the finest tools, but without knowing how they work they are useless.
    Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

i wold agree with render. for me, the line is drawn with the distinction of "does the tool assist a person with a specific motion or action, or does it perform that action for them?"

something like a high-tech tension tool, weighted tension wrenches, bump keys, adjustable parts, etc. are ok in my book. when tools start to initiate a physical force on their own (pick guns, vibrating feelers, spring-loaded whatnot) then the user crosses the line into "deploying and observing" as opposed to "actively utilizing" but that's just my designation... we'll see what the organizers have to say.
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Hey all, sorry haven't been back in a while to respond!

New rules will be up this weekend just as an FYI, and yes, they will pretty much be similar to last years. (At minimum I will add this question to the FAQ)

In regards to this question, I'm in agreement with renderman and Deviant Ollam. I woudn't see this as an illegal tool.

Personally, I wouldn't "recommend" one of these devices in the early rounds, because you don't have much time to play with it. I may be wrong, but I don't see the tension wheels as being faster than a standard wrench. While they allow for greater static tension and the ability to set, rake, set, rake, set, rake, etc., this leads to a good amount of time testing tension, when a normal tension bar user can adjust the tension much more quickly based on feel.

Also, need to remember that all contestants can set their equipment in front of them, but cannot touch the lock or pick up picks/wrenches until the time starts. If I remember right, to make the second round, you had to be sub 15 seconds. To make the finals you had to be sub 10. (Somewhere close to that)

But in answer to the question, yes you can use it, but I would think hard about whether or not you really want too. Maybe I'm wrong (wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last) and you can fly with one of these, but I'll leave that up to you as you'll have to practice a lot with it to make sure you can hit the speeds.

One last tip...

Feather wrenches are awesome for the padlocks we have seen in the final rounds the past two years. I can't say if they will be again, but I am surprised to say that I have yet to see anyone but me bring feather wrenches.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

I appreciate all the feeback guys. Thanks alot. I'll be making sure to practice with both a standard torque wrench and a circular on different locks to see which is really faster. And I guess we'll see in July.

-Sp8

Comment

Working...
          X