Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

traveling to DefCon - how do you plan to get yourself (and your gear) there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• traveling to DefCon - how do you plan to get yourself (and your gear) there?

how does everyone plan to get to DefCon this year? specifically, how will you handle the increasing hassle of flight, for those who aren't within driving distance?

starting a couple years back i adopted the policy of no checked bags at all... just a small carry on with one emergency change of clothes and entertainment gear. all my tech, all my picks, all my shit gets FedExed to and from the hotel. fuck the TSA, fuck the airports, fuck it all. I've never been happier than when travelling light.

Also, my stuff has a better chance of making it where it's supposed to on time and in one piece. Any hiccups in the transit and it can be tracked almost flawlessly and insured out the ass.

(I hit upon this after DC9 when travelling home with a ton of stuff that i decided to FedEx. was the best trip i ever made)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

One of the first things I do is get all the stuff I want to bring with me together in the living room. Then I go through it and pull out what I REALLY need. I then check bags at the airport. Its a fucking hassle. I hate airports and more importantly the TSA, but to ship my gear would be a tad expensive. Its even more fun when you have firearms and NFA weapons to check. Flying is pretty much my only option. The drive is hellish.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

I seem to say it about this time every year, but if you want fun, try crossing an international border :D

I've flown and driven in the past, and despite the length of the drive, and past 'occurances' it's easier than flying, and I can take alot more of the gear I need for the contests with me (vagi's and planes don't mix). Just try explaining the warpack to an underpaid TSA geek.

Straight shot down I-15 again over 2 days and a whole lotta praying through Utah.
      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

I'll probably take a cab
        "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

To the TSA it's a lot on your appearance as well. I've flown thousands of miles with tons of gear, yagi's, GPS, radio's, etc in my carry-on but dressed in my business casual wear. The guy behind me wearing his "unusual" attire or appearance with just a book carry-on gets the full degree. It's bullshit, but if you are really upset by stuff like this, then see if blending in with the sheeple works better.

I'll be flying in again.
          Aut disce aut discede

Comment

The dc719 crew will be driving again this year.

Hopefully this time however we will not be pulled over. Although the look on the officers face was priceless when he stop us and when he had to return to my car to let us go on our marry little way.

Originally posted by renderman
            <snip> a whole lotta praying through Utah.
            And like renderman we will also be praying as we go through Utah.
            "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

Originally posted by lil_freak
              And like renderman we will also be praying as we go through Utah.
              No damnit! Stop kicking the tires!
              “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

Although the look on the officers face was priceless when he stop us and when he had to return to my car to let us go on our marry little way.
                one more time... in engrish prease
                If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Hopefully this time however we will not be pulled over. Although the look on the officers face was priceless when he stop us and when he had to return to my car to let us go on our marry little way.
                  Do what now? Could you elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
                    Do what now? Could you elaborate?
                    We got pulled over on our way to con, because I had "Hack The Rockies" and other stuff written all over my red car in large white letters. The cop who pulled us over said he stopped us due to my car not matchingthe color on my reg., but it said right on it "Color=Red".

I'm sure H3 could go into more detail, seeing as how he was in the driver's seat, so could the rest of the caravan who also had to pull over to the side of the road about 100 yards up from where we stopped. I was just shocked that we got pulled over, seeing as how we were the lead car and they could have pulled over the bright yellow Cananda* truck following us or the hearse.

*I'm sure Render was happy it wasn't them thou, however if they did a search it would have been easier to search the other cars, than it would have been to search ours.
                    "It is difficult not to wonder whether that combination of elements which produces a machine for labor does not create also a soul of sorts, a dull resentful metallic will, which can rebel at times". Pearl S. Buck

Comment

*I'm sure Render was happy it wasn't them thou, however if they did a search it would have been easier to search the other cars, than it would have been to search ours.
                      Note: We were still in CO at the time and had not passed into no-mans land yet.

We were actually at the back of the pack and called up on the radio about the sherrifs vehicle passing us up the line. He got to the front of the line and stayed beside and just behind lil_freak. A few seconds later he flashes the red and blues' and pulls them over. The rest of us are on the radios and pull over a bit further up over a hill, outta sight, switched frequencies and started figuring out bail strategies

Of all the cars, I'm surprised it was you that got pulled over. I would have put my money on the hearse or us canucks (just my luck).

I think we were all thankful that he did'nt decide to search your trunk.... The time to check all the paperwork would have been enormous :)
                      Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Lil_freak, reder:

I have a local address if you care to send "questionables" ahead of time. Not an issue.

Really this goes for all people I'm familar with attending con this year.

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
                          I think we were all thankful that he did'nt decide to search your trunk.... The time to check all the paperwork would have been enormous :)
                          Oh yes we were very thankful on that note. I could see the cop having to call ATF out. Then we would have to try to explain the small arsenal and bar we were hauling around.

Originally posted by hackajar
                          I have a local address if you care to send "questionables" ahead of time. Not an issue.
                          Thank you very much hackajar. I don't think we are to going to be going to the DCShoot this year so I think we're safe with the questionables.

Comment

Thank you very much hackajar. I don't think we are to going to be going to the DCShoot this year so I think we're safe with the questionables.
                            DCshoot? I think he was trying to say he would like a pair of H3's "unmentionables"...
                            If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                              DCshoot? I think he was trying to say he would like a pair of H3's "unmentionables"...

See, that's why hackajar isn't super cool, he only goes for unmentionables.. Whereas I go for the whole thing... He can have H3 just give me SP and well trade GM1 to LF to make it OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X