Error on startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error on startup

I had a virus a while back that I managed to get rid of, took everything out of the registry (at least I believe everything). The only issue is all the crappy files that were installed by the virus in my system startup come up after I log into windows (XP) and say that the file name of all the programs the virus installed could not be found. I have gone into the autoexec.nt and found that there isn't anything at all in there. I went through my system start up and found nothing but my firewall, and it isnt infected.

If anyone out there can help me with this it would be appriciated.

Did you check ALL the Run and RunOnce locations in the registry? (There are several.) Depending on what virus/worm it is, it could be in a lot of places.

Don't forget the ever popular [load] statement in WIN.INI. An oldie but a goodie.

The best thing you can do is run the name(s) thourgh several AV vendor sites like Symantec, McAfee or Panda and see if there are specific removal instructions for it. As a general guide, I like the Security Tango site: http://www.securitytango.com/
    Thorn
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

use msconfig: start/run/msconfig to check what processes are starting when windows starts.
      the far right tab can toggle on and off startup processes.
      but I have learned that this rarly works 100%.

Worst case scenario, Re-install Windows.

Comment

Do the above in safe mode. You may not be able to kill certain processes that are running. I know it sucks to have virus dribble sticking around the pooter.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
          ...I know it sucks to have virus dribble sticking around the pooter.

I think theres an ointment for that?

Comment

Originally posted by CP99
            I think theres an ointment for that?
            Pool2Girl used up the entire year's supply for the state of Nevada.

Comment

Pool2Girl used up the entire year's supply for the state of Nevada.

Do nevadians have no ointment? We need to start a releif fund. Weel have those collored rubber braclets, ours will be pooter colloured.

Comment

I deleted those things out of the registry long ago. I used spybot and stopped the startup of windows and shredded anything on the startup that wasnt anything that I wanted (including processes that wouldnt otherwise be able to be killed). They are still there. They must be buried in the boot.ini but I can't seem to get into it.

Comment

If all else fails, back up your important files, and completly re-install windows from scratch.

Some people groan and moan at the prospect, but its not that bad, ooooooo 50 minutes of waiting.

Comment

Do nevadians have no ointment? We need to start a releif fund. Weel have those collored rubber braclets, ours will be pooter colloured.
                    Yes, this would be great! Were dying over here (literally)
                    "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

If all else fails, back up your important files, and completly re-install windows from scratch.

Some people groan and moan at the prospect, but its not that bad, ooooooo 50 minutes of waiting.
                      I always feel as if I've almost "lost" when I reinstall any operating system. I'd rather spend 2-3 hours getting rid of everything that is wrong, then 50 minutes reinstalling.
                      I also always forget some files when I backup..
                      - Programmer -

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
                        ..... I also always forget some files when I backup..

too true, I cant tell you how many times i needed to backsomething up, forgot, then deleted the original file.

Comment

Get yourself a Mirra server, I have one that backs up my laptops here at home in real time. Talk about peace of mind!

You may not need to reformat when you do a new install. Instead maybe just re-install over the existing installation. This will keep your file structure intact and you should not lose any data, but all install and system files will be overwritten with the CD.
                          Last edited by astcell; May 22, 2005, 23:07. Reason: typo

Comment

Get yourseld a Mirra server, I have one that backs up my laptops here at home in real time. Talk about peace of mind!

You may not need to reformat when you do a new install. Instead maybe just re-install over the existing installation. This will keep your file structure intact and you should not lose any data, but all install and system files will be overwritten with the CD.

The problem with that is, That many viruses and spyware survive overwriting an instalation, but should definitly be tried before reformating if you want to try and keep your files without backing them up.

Comment

Reinstalling all of windows isnt worth it, the only thing is that the name I am on is the only one affected. There is nothing really wrong with the account I am using on the computer, I can get into it, but the 30 "OK" things I have to push enter through is the issue. Is there a more comprehensive version of going through the system startup. I miss the days of autoexec.ini.

Comment

Working...
                              X