Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's not even June yet...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • It's not even June yet...

    I've been on these boards for a few years.

    I've been attending con since before the turn of the century.

    Every year I brace myself, in June, for the flood of newbies who registered in April or May of that year and make posts that make me want to bring a field sterilization kit to con.

    To all of you who moderate the boards through the weeks leading up to con a heartfelt thanks. It's not even June yet and it's like someone, somewhere has unleashed the fury of the fucktards upon us. I don't know if I have the psychological strength to withstand the onslaught of persistent vegetative stupidity that we've seen in the last 10 days if it increases at the same rate we usually see at this time of year.

    Is it just me or is it time to start drinking?
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

  • #2
    Originally posted by ndex
    ...Is it just me or is it time to start drinking?
    No, Its not just you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ndex
      Is it just me or is it time to start drinking?
      Just don't stop, it's easier
      Never drink anything larger than your head!





      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ndex
        I've been attending con since before the turn of the century.
        That makes you sound oooooooollllllddddd.

        Comment


        • #5
          When I grow up I wana be like NDEX.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ndex
            I've been on these boards for a few years.

            I've been attending con since before the turn of the century.

            Every year I brace myself, in June, for the flood of newbies who registered in April or May of that year and make posts that make me want to bring a field sterilization kit to con.

            To all of you who moderate the boards through the weeks leading up to con a heartfelt thanks. It's not even June yet and it's like someone, somewhere has unleashed the fury of the fucktards upon us. I don't know if I have the psychological strength to withstand the onslaught of persistent vegetative stupidity that we've seen in the last 10 days if it increases at the same rate we usually see at this time of year.

            Is it just me or is it time to start drinking?
            It's just time to get noid and skroo liquored up and let nature take it's course. They tend to dispatch the kiddies in a timely manor..

            Was it ever time to STOP drinking?!? If so.. why did I not get the memo? (Was I too busy drinking to read it....??)
            Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by che
              why did I not get the memo?
              They sent you the memo, but it said "For che" and you probably read it as "From che". Easy mistake.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                They sent you the memo, but it said "For che" and you probably read it as "From che". Easy mistake.
                Yeah... last time I made that mistake I gave all my family's Christmas presents that were in my trunk to Toys For Tots.

                (It never ceases to amaze me how many Family Guy quotes get used on this board :-D).
                You're either on my side or else you're in the way.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yay for noid and all the forum mods

                  Originally posted by che
                  It's just time to get noid and skroo liquored up and let nature take it's course. They tend to dispatch the kiddies in a timely manor..
                  I don't think they need liquoring up to clear out the combustables, probably the opposite is closer to the truth.

                  The way I hear it, when kiddies come into the forums and get flamed/banned/harrassed they go directly to DT with their sob story and he hands the mods their asses. The regulars, on the other hand, just assume that the moderators are doing a good/great/excellent job adding chlorine to the forum gene pool and could not imagine that they would be considered anything but heroes for doing so. The result is that, apparently, DT is only hearing from the whiney little kiddies when they run to him to tattle on the mods/members for being "mean".

                  The fact is that appreciative folks are under represented in DT's inbox. Whereas, the kiddies that make us homicidal every spring are hiding behind DT's coattails, and he only hears their side of the story. I'm certain the banned don't bother to mention that they've recieved and disregarded numerous warnings that they're about to be banned.

                  Filling up DT's inbox with kudos for the mods would be counter productive. He's got better things to do than read the forums (Lord knows I wish I did), however, on the off chance that he might read them once in a while; I hope he understands something. When the crapheads flood the forums in the spring the forum members turn to the mods to regulate, we don't run to him. That's the system in place and it works for us old geezers. When crapheads get banned/flamed and they go to DT and cry about it, it's because the *entire* forum community has already turned their backs on them for breaking the rules etc. We may not be applauding into his inbox, but we are cheering regardless. Just because he doesn't hear from the greatful doesn't mean we don't exist. What it means is that we respect HIM, we appreciate his position as the founder of this community and we're not going to waste his valuable time flooding him with "Yay for the mods" emails every time the mods do what we rely on them to do.

                  </soapbox>
                  Last edited by ndex; May 31, 2005, 16:19.
                  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ndex
                    I don't think they need liquoring up to clear out the combustables, probably the opposite is closer to the truth.

                    The way I hear it, when kiddies come into the forums and get flamed/banned/harrassed they go directly to DT with their sob story and he hands the mods their asses.

                    </soapbox>

                    Not to mention that 90% of the people who get flamed on this forum aren't people who attend Defcon or would attend Defcon. And the 10% who do get flamed and come to Defcon are the group of people who make the core of the defcon/hacker community not want to attend Defcon anymore.

                    So Noid, Chris, Skroo, OP, Nulltone... Kudos to you! Good job!.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ndex
                      The result is that, apparently, DT is only hearing from the whiney little kiddies when they run to him to tattle on the mods/members for being "mean".
                      This is just one of the many signs that DefCon is moving towards a corporate-style event.

                      Giving time and acting on complaints like these is similar to giving-in to terrorist demands-- once it is known that a technique works, that same technique will be attempted with increasing frequency until it no longer works.

                      Costs? Marginalization of those that have experience in favor of those who don't. An increase in the flood of e-mail complaints for those who listen to and act on complaints in a favorable way to the complainer. A degredation in forum content as the result of pushing the few with skills away from the forums. Yay for feedback loops.

                      Sun Tsu's The Art of War has a great section on how politicians should keep their hands free of military decisions.
                      Paraphrased: "A wise leader dictates goals of war to their generals, and relies upon their generals to choose the best methods to meet those goals."
                      (Sun Tsu knew about risks of micromanagement before we had a name for it.)
                      Last edited by TheCotMan; May 31, 2005, 12:12. Reason: grammar, highlighting

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by highwizard
                        Not to mention that 90% of the people who get flamed on this forum aren't people who attend Defcon or would attend Defcon.
                        Most of the "kiddies" that come to these boards are like me, broke high school students. The main reason they don't attend is becuase they don't have the money.

                        I will be at DC14 next year though. I'm going with my brother, he's been going for 2 years now.
                        "Fundamentalism: It's how you get all the mysteries of the universe to fit on a bumper sticker"

                        --Howard The Duck

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          "Broke and poor" work if you heard about defcon one month before it happens. Get original and you can still make it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Tao_of_pi
                            Most of the "kiddies" that come to these boards are like me, broke high school students. The main reason they don't attend is becuase they don't have the money.

                            I will be at DC14 next year though. I'm going with my brother, he's been going for 2 years now.

                            Sorry buddy, that shit doesn't fly as Astcell said.

                            There are High School Students on this board now who I have respect for who traveled to Defcon in the past and will be doing so again.

                            I guess the real issue is either that A) Mommy and Daddy don't trust or B) You're too cheap to go out and get a part time job. If you really wanted to make Defcon you could. Ask Xodia about it.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by highwizard
                              I guess the real issue is either that A) Mommy and Daddy don't trust or B) You're too cheap to go out and get a part time job. If you really wanted to make Defcon you could. Ask Xodia about it.
                              I had planned going this year but i lost my job two months ago and i'm still paying off my car, even though i've applied at every place i could DC isn't a realistic goal this year
                              "Fundamentalism: It's how you get all the mysteries of the universe to fit on a bumper sticker"

                              --Howard The Duck

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X