Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Apple/Intel dealybobber

So yeah, Apple announcement and Intel annoucement

All I can say is Steve Jobs must know something about what's in the pipe for Intel come 2006/2007. Otherwise this move seems monumentally stupid.
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

I'm curious to see if this opens the gates for clones to start being made again, or if they are going to try to keep it from happening again.
    The dude abides.

Comment

The MacOS X EULA currently prevents it from being legally used on non-Apple hardware. However, that hasn't stopped PPC board manufacturers like Genesi from advertising that it works through Mac-on-Linux:

http://www.genesi.lu/products.php
      [ redacted ]

Comment

ahhh crap, and I just bought a mac mini 2 months ago!

Stock (AAPL) frozen (no real change) on remarks of deal being true. I think everyone is collectively going "WTF?", not just people in the computer world.

Wonder if they put it on Intels failed Itanium line, that would be interesting.
        "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Looks like Apple has some awesome PowerPC binary translation/emulation software lined up for OS X that they bought from these guys, so any programs that don't use AltiVec or anything G5 specific should run out of the box:

http://www.transitive.com/products.htm

I think in the end this all comes down to laptops and Apple's failure to produce a G5 one. The Pentium M has certainly emerged as the foremost notebook processor (and for that matter, perhaps the foremost Intel processor)

By the metric Steve Jobs used, IBM has Intel beaten hands down. The Cell processor delivers an order of magnitude more GFLOPS than a dual core P4 with less power consumption and fewer transistors... but it would be a stupid choice for notebooks.
          [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule
            By the metric Steve Jobs used, IBM has Intel beaten hands down. The Cell processor delivers an order of magnitude more GFLOPS than a dual core P4 with less power consumption and fewer transistors... but it would be a stupid choice for notebooks.
            As disscussed before, the cell processors are DSP in nature and do really good job with video games (at these high GFLOPS), your absolutly correct in thinking that won't do any good for Laptops as these are multifunction PC's (in traditional sense).

IBM should not hurt too bad from deal (loosing the 1.8% market share Apple had) especially since everyone: NES, Sony and MS are have intention of using a PowerPC chip in their gaming system.

Which that brings up another interesting point, IBM has said nothing about the deal (publicly) so one has to wonder: Did they warn Apple that they plan to cut them loose? Was this warning 5 years ago, and now their eating their own shorts?
            "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Working...
            X