Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are we able to sell our electronics cheap at DC13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we able to sell our electronics cheap at DC13?

I was just wondering, does anyone know anything about rules/conditions or even if its possible if we could sell electronic stuff at defcon?

cuz I have a 1.5 year old Toshiba Laptop that I am need to sell, just curious.
    Thanks in advance for any comments
    - st.corm

Originally posted by st0rm
    I was just wondering, does anyone know anything about rules/conditions or even if its possible if we could sell electronic stuff at defcon?
    Yes, and they are on these forums.

People have sold things at DefCon before. If you have a lot of stuff to sell, you can check out the costs and time necessary to setup a table in the vendor room.

because I have a 1.5 year old Toshiba Laptop that I am need to sell, just curious.
    Thanks in advance for any comments
    Don't you think you would get a better deal if you sold it on ebay, or elsewhere so you could have more spending money before the con? Con sales are generally trades, or cash-- who is going to give up a check or credit card that is genuine and legal with a Drivers' License at DefCon? Other online sources allow for many kinds of payments.

Comment

Ahemmm...

You might be right. You think it'll be too much trouble to go through just to try to sell a laptop and maybe not selling it and stuff? lol That does sound like a lot of hassle I am not planning on bringing my own laptop either ... i just want to listen to the talks and learn as much as possible. Any recommendations besides ebay?, (since theres SOO many laptops on ebay it seems much slower, infact going house to house seems faster .lol ha) Any way thanks for any comments.

Thanks again
      - st.corm

Comment

Any recommendations besides ebay?
        Newspaper/Want-Ads? http://www.craigslist.com/ (regional ads based on large cities)? Local User Groups? Paper Ad pasted in colleges, where parents of kids in High Schools might visit, grocery stores, etc.? Just think of where you might advertise for a local sale. Who needs a laptop and may be willing to buy one used.

Comment

It is just plain FUN to sell/trade/hawk stuff at Defcon. I plan to take my Panasonic Toughbook wth me and give it to whoever makes me margaritas all weekend. Or maybe trade it for a wagonload of alcohol. Or for a boob show. Who knows. One man's junk is another's treasure. If my old stuff can make someone's day, who am I to deprive them?

Comment

You got a point.

Not only i think your right on how anothor mans trash is someone elses treasure, I ve actually experienced that. great.

But since My main goal is to just go relax have fun learn and eat, dont you think it'll take away some of my limited attention from dc to my laptop I am trying to sell? Is there something or some list where you post your ad and someone interested will atleast tell you to bring it you know? cuz I dont see a point in carrying 6-7 pounds, lol and stressing out about it all week with no buyer.

Let me know what you think
            - st.corm

Comment

You can give it to a vendor and let them sell it for you and they take a cut of the profit... you can stick a price tag on it and walk around with it or just sit by the pool with it, if it does not sell in an hour you are way overpriced.

Comment

Vendor huh?

The vendor deal sounds good, Do you know how this procedure work? like who to contact and so on?

Also , do you happen to know how much exactly is the vendors cut of the selling price? I mean it wouldnt make sense if they keep fifty percent.

Thanks again
                - st.corm

Comment

Also , do you happen to know how much exactly is the vendors cut of the selling price? I mean it wouldnt make sense if they keep fifty percent.
                  it varies vendor by vendor... but in the past when i've sold things through vendors it hasn't been for a "cut" since that involves percentage calculations, odd dollar amounts, and finding the guy later to see what sold and what didn't.

in my experience i've just sold things cheap to vendors (like old, used laptops) and let them handle the deal. i took a much lower price than i would have if selling to a regular buyer ($250 instead of $350 or so) and just figured that the reduced profit was a fair price to pay for the convenience of cash on the spot and not having to tote the things around hawking them. i sold through the guys from UnixSurplus since they will put any piece of ass hardware on a table and find a way to make a profit (read: they overcharge for questionable used goods, at least in my opinion.) heck, my laptops were probably one of the better things they offered that year.
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                    It is just plain FUN to sell/trade/hawk stuff at Defcon. I plan to take my Panasonic Toughbook wth me and give it to whoever makes me margaritas all weekend. Or maybe trade it for a wagonload of alcohol. Or for a boob show. Who knows. One man's junk is another's treasure. If my old stuff can make someone's day, who am I to deprive them?
                    And what sort of alcohol would you like to see in my little red flyer wagon? ;-)
                    the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

Originally posted by octalpus
                      And what sort of alcohol would you like to see in my little red flyer wagon?
                      the wagonload of alcohol wasn't the only potential offer he described. you're a beautiful woman and astcell made it clear that he like the ladies... maybe you can charm the laptop out of him. don't know if i'm aware of you flashing anyone at defcon before, however, so he may be out of luck on that front.
                      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                        don't know if i'm aware of you flashing anyone at defcon before, however, so he may be out of luck on that front.
                        You don't get out much, do you...
                        the fresh princess of 1338

What did I do to make you think I give a shit?

Comment

I see you DID choose option #2. :> Of course you can show someone else's boobs, that may end up with blood flowing however.

Comment

Working...
                          X