possible competition event... beer cooling contraptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• possible competition event... beer cooling contraptions

so, this is just a really wild, out of left field type of idea. but, after watching a clip from i've had sitting around from an episode of MythBusters i had an idea for something that could make a really fun contest at DefCon. just tossing it out there to see what others think, it's doubtful that it could be pulled together for inclusion this year (but who knows, since the logistics would be really really simple and it could attract some interest.)

anyway... the episode mentioned above was entitled "Cooling a Six-Pack." On it, the guys tested a variety of ways to take room-temperature beer and cool it down to proper drinking temperature (38º F, i believe to be the benchmark they shot for) very quickly.

After getting a series of control values (beer in a fridge, a freezer, ice, ice+water, and ice+water+salt) they tried to make their own contraptions. Adam created a rather poor, leaky ice-vat type affair through which passed a copper tube.

Jamie, on the other hand, primed rolled metal sheeting by submerging it in Liquid Nitrogen, then dropped it in the beer to act as a heat sink

Neither of their devices worked particularly well. And i'd be willing to bet that DefCon attendees could put their considerable tech talents (and their even more considerable disposition for chilled alcohol) to the task and come up with some pretty righteous ideas. (i'm imagining rigs of stacked peltier coolers. hell, if we can come up with new and remarkable ways to cool overclocked AMD processors this shouldn't be a massively difficult undertaking.)

Maybe i could run this as an unoffical contest poolside sometime if there is enough interest. Participants will be tasked with taking a beer at ambient temperature (which ouside in vegas could potentially be really really hot) and doing their best to get it down to 38º F. It could be run as either a "who can get beer the coldest in under a minute" or a "who can get to 38º F the fastest" type of event. Maybe i'll wrangle some more swag prizes as giveaways to the winners.

If we were to do something like this, i'll bet there'd be no shortage of bystanders... after all, we'd have to have volunteers to drink all the beer after it goes through the devices and is measured.

What do people think?

P.S. - i'm reencoding that MythBusters video clip to a smaller size so that i can stick it online somewhere for people to see if they want. it's actually a REALLY neat example of how, as Adam states in the program, "Science plus beer equals good!" I never realized that since adding salt to a cooler with ice and water -- thus lower the freezing temp in addition to melting some ice -- it makes for a great way to cool things down super fast.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 17, 2005, 12:45. Reason: minor tweaks
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

so, i've reencoded the clip small enough to make it suitable to stick on my little cable-modem web server for anyone who wants to check it out...

i had to compress the hell out of it so the quality is not great. but, if anyone for any reasons would like the high-res version i have that. (hmm... might make nice filler material for DC TV in between movie channel features.)
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
      (hmm... might make nice filler material for DC TV in between movie channel features.)
      Tierra's post on how to submit to DC TV as filler :-)

Comment

One would have to state in what container the beer had to be cooled in, it would be more of a challenge if it had to be cooled in the can without opening.

I'm thinking straight immersion of the can in liquid nitrogen would do the trick nicely

Hmm. Google: Las vegas liquid nitrogen delivery
        Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Originally posted by renderman
          it would be more of a challenge if it had to be cooled in the can without opening.
          true, but that would limit some of the construction options. if the beer is permitted to flow freely through an aparatus it could make for much more unique and creative concepts. (until some wiseguy gets huge block ice delivered to the AP and merely uses a blowtorch to cut a long, winding, bobsled type track into it and just pours the beer down the sucker, winning in a brilliant feat of simplicity triumphing over complex engineering.)
          Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 17, 2005, 14:20.
          - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
            true, but that would limit some of the construction options. if the beer is permitted to flow freely through an aparatus it could make for much more unique and creative concepts. (until some wiseguy gets huge block ice delivered to the AP and merely uses a blowtorch to cut a long, winding, bobsled type track into it and just pours the beer down the sucker, winning in a brilliant feat of simplicity triumphing over complex engineering.)
            How temperature would be checked would dictate something about how the beer should be stored for evaluation of temperature. Other issues of cost could come into play, or else this could turn into a contest of "winner is who has the most money."

Surface area attacks would be the most obvious solution, and what would happen if a person overshot the temperature? Example: pour a beer into a large flat bath-space made of thich steel which was submerged into a liquid Helium bath, the more surface area/helium, the faster the cooling. No need to take the temperature if the beer is solid.
            (At some point the beer got to 37 degrees if it started at room temperature and is now solid. ;-)

Comment

I bet our British friends are trying to figure out why we are doing this. For their sake we can have another contest: How to bring beer from a refrigerator up to room temperature very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                How to bring beer from a refrigerator up to room temperature very quickly.
                Heh-heh, heh-heh.... Ummmm Fire. FIRE! FIRE!!! Ohhhh yeah! Whoah!

I envision a similar thing or use of high power microwave transmitters.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                  I envision a similar thing or use of high power microwave transmitters.
                  Just hold the beer infront of me while I flip the warpack into xmit mode, that'll work
                  Never drink anything larger than your head!

Comment

Deviant Ollam gave me the higher quality copy of for DCMC, for those that care to see it, I have lots more bandwidth and a much fatter pipe to post it here:
                    http://ibaku.net/files/mythbusters-c...a_six-pack.avi (116MB)

Just as a reminder, we're still taking filler clips here:
                    http://ibaku.net/filler/

Comment

I've actually seen something similar to this and its def a good idea. If you surf on over to afrotechmods.com you will see some ghetto modding in effect. this Mod is indeed a beverage cooler....

Snapple Cooler

His main problem was that it was a bolt inserted into the the snapple bottle itself which of course caused the thing to rust and the snapple to taste like malted ass.

Before.....

After.....

The point of this whole exercise was to say if we were to do something like this we could impose a pricing limit on it so as we don't have those with larger wallets crushing ingenuity with simple purchasing.

Then it could be seperated out into different things such as cooling a can of beer cooling a bottle, cooling a six pack, etc. or different volumes like 8 oz 12 oz 40 oz etc

So a cap of say 75-100 dollars would be awesome.

I mean I've got at least 4 ideas coming through my head right now. Tell me what you all think about that.

Comment

We could setup an "instant cooling" booth in or around AV. Someone could sit there with one of those ABC extingushers and charge 5 bux to "Instantly cool your beer" They got it down to 35o in 20 seconds. That was pretty neat
                        "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

You know, nothing beats the practicality of a cooler filled with dry ice...
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                          [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by bascule
                            You know, nothing beats the practicality of a cooler filled with dry ice...
                            See that's what I thought, but they "casually ignored" this concept. Sub'in out for salt instead. Were they just trying to avoid people acually going out and doing this?
                            "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                              I bet our British friends are trying to figure out why we are doing this. For their sake we can have another contest: How to bring beer from a refrigerator up to room temperature very quickly.
                              Make sure that Lucas does the electrics inside said refrigerator.
                              Aut disce aut discede

Comment

Working...
                              X