Looking for a Noobs Guide to Defcon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Noobs Guide to Defcon

This will be my first time at Defcon and I am really looking for a noobs guide. I am looking for suggestions on time-management and must sees. Unfortunately I am to broke to get a laptop so I will be coming with an analog pencil and a static notepad. I searched the forum and didn't find any previous topics on this but if I missed it please let me know. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    Stupid Noob who needs
    To Keep His Mouth Shut.

well, you could start with the Unofficial Defcon FAQ. (don't worry... in recent years i'd say defcon hasn't had quite as many rough elements as the FAQ might make it seem.) there's also this thread in which people discussed ideas about stuff to bring that often gets overlooked.

are you certain that you did a forum search? perhaps you only dreamed that you did. this info isn't super-duper difficult to find.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; June 19, 2005, 07:42.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Pencil and paper is a much better combo to bring than a laptop, believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
        Pencil and paper is a much better combo to bring than a laptop, believe me.
        I don't know, there are some pretty leet treeware hackers out there!
        "There are no failed experiments, only more data"

Comment

Originally posted by 81u3
          This will be my first time at Defcon and I am really looking for a noobs guide. ... Any suggestions are appreciated.
          Another good source is ithe DefCon Forums. Look for threads with related topics and check out what they have to tell you. Other people will post on things like what to bring, what not to bring, and what things they enjoyed doing at defcon as well as what things they wish they did, will be doing, wished they ddid not do, and how their experiences change over the years.

Comment

This will be my first time at Defcon and I am really looking for a noobs guide. I am looking for suggestions on time-management and must sees. Unfortunately I am to broke to get a laptop so I will be coming with an analog pencil and a static notepad. I searched the forum and didn't find any previous topics on this but if I missed it please let me know. Any suggestions are appreciated.
            Since this is your first time, you may want to know that this year's Defcon has been cancelled due to various problems beyond the control of the staff. The next Defcon will be Defcon 13a to signify the cancellation of the original Defcon 13.
            The dude abides.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. If anyone can think of anything else let me know.

Ohh so it was cancelled? Well then I guess we will all just have to show up at your house Xodia. I'm not quite that noob.
              Stupid Noob who needs
              To Keep His Mouth Shut.

Comment

81u3, you're pretty quick. I like that. I'll let you buy me a beer.

Comment

Ohh so it was cancelled? Well then I guess we will all just have to show up at your house Xodia. I'm not quite that noob.
                  Er....My house was cancelled too. Sorry.
                  The dude abides.

Comment

sure astcell, in fact, i'll buy a beer for anyone who can find me, mention this post and give me money. I am a poor, college wanna-be-hacker, all my money is spent on school, cup-o-noodle soup, and caffeinated drinks. I have to save up just to buy myself beer

But astcell, since you were first to ask, if you find me, the dirst rounds on me
                    Stupid Noob who needs
                    To Keep His Mouth Shut.

Comment

oops, meant "the first round"
                      Stupid Noob who needs
                      To Keep His Mouth Shut.

Comment

oops, meant "the first round"
                        Use the "edit" button in your post to edit your post. I think you have up to 24 hours to edit a post once you include it, so you have time to fix typos and mistakes-- I use it extensively for my own posts because I make so many mistakes.

Comment

...I am a poor, college wanna-be-hacker...
                          Well, everyone starts somewhere. As long as you at least do something instead of sitting there doing nothing.

Itll be my first at Defcon, also. :D

Comment

Working...
                          X