Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions of things to do sitting at work for 8 hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it were me I would:

1.Read
    2.Knit
    3.Sereptitiously masturbate

Right now I'm really digging audiobooks because I can read AND knit at the same time.
    Last edited by Abby_Normal; July 14, 2005, 22:46.
    "There are no failed experiments, only more data"

Comment

Originally posted by heavens exile
      1. smoke weed
      2. smoke weed
      3. smoke weed
      If only it were opposite day, that'd be the best suggestion yet! Good job!

Are you artistic? I'd take up drawing/sketching/whatever. It's always good to use your creative side as well every once in a while.
      - Programmer -

Comment

Originally posted by d3ad1ysp0rk
        If only it were opposite day, that'd be the best suggestion yet! Good job!

Are you artistic? I'd take up drawing/sketching/whatever. It's always good to use your creative side as well every once in a while.
        i have been drawing my whole life. its actually a bore to me now. i grew up watching my father draw, he's an engineer and does alot of drawings and designs for architects. this we before the days of autocad when it was him, his huge drawing board and lots of erasers. lol.
        3lit3 cr00ks

Comment

Originally posted by Abby_Normal
          If it were me I would:
          1.Read
          2.Knit
          Right now I'm really digging audiobooks because I can read AND knit at the same time.
          Post when you've figured out how to do all three at once....
          justazero -
          "Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily."
          - George Santayana

Comment

If it were me I would:
            1.Read
            2.Knit
            In that priority?

Comment

This is always a good one, and if you're really skilled at it you can do it wel enough to plant the seed of doubt (no pun intended) in your coworkers' minds as to what you're really up to. Not blatantly enough to get fired, but well enough that they just fuck the hell off away from you and call rather than drop by.

Originally posted by zero
              You've got feet, right?

1. Smoke weed
              2. Smoke weed
              3. Smoke weed
              Spicoli, you're a credit to mankind. Truly.

Comment

Originally posted by skroo
                This is always a good one, and if you're really skilled at it you can do it wel enough to plant the seed of doubt (no pun intended) in your coworkers' minds as to what you're really up to. Not blatantly enough to get fired, but well enough that they just fuck the hell off away from you and call rather than drop by.

It's no fun when you work alone though. It's like getting in a jacuzzi with nothing on, and you're alone. What's the point?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                  It's no fun when you work alone though. It's like getting in a jacuzzi with nothing on, and you're alone. What's the point?
                  Air jets and privacy.

Comment

i have been drawing my whole life. its actually a bore to me now. i grew up watching my father draw, he's an engineer and does alot of drawings and designs for architects. this we before the days of autocad when it was him, his huge drawing board and lots of erasers. lol.
                    uhh, the second part was to pr0zac0x2a, but sure ;)
                    - Programmer -

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                      In that priority?
                      Yes, otherwise I'd never get anything done.

Comment

Originally posted by zero
                        If I could do all three at once I don't think I'd need a job anymore.

Comment

If I could do all three at once I don't think I'd need a job anymore.
                          And now I'm left wondering which of the three you are keeping the job in order to do...

-zac
                          %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

Originally posted by pr0zac0x2a
                            And now I'm left wondering which of the three you are keeping the job in order to do...

-zac
                            Well, yarn and books cost money...

Comment

1) Invest in a palmtop - granted, they're not as useful as a laptop, but they're a hell of a lot easier to hide - and use that to write up Perl snippets to test when you get home. Plus, a lot of them can be used as media players (one of my ex-coworkers at the local tax processing centre used to use one for just that purpose).

2) Some good books you might want to check out:

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman
                              Neuromancer, Count Zero, Virtual Light . . . hell, anything by William Gibson
                              Doctor Who: Dark Progeny - Steve Emmerson
                              Doctor Who: The Year Of Intelligent Tigers - Kate Orman
                              Doctor Who: System Shock and its sequel, Doctor Who: Millennium Shock - Justin Richards
                              The Star Wars: X-Wing series, by Michael A. Stackpole and Aaron Allston
                              Hacking For Dummies - Kevin Beaver (Hey, why not?)
                              Recipes for Disaster and Days of War, Nights of Love - CrimethInc Workers' Collective

3) If you've got enough cash, pick up a hard drive media player - I recommend the Creative Labs Nomad Zen Xtra myself, as they have about the same amount of space as an iPod (the largest has about 40 gigabytes of space, mine's got 30), but for about half the price (40GB runs about $250, 30GB around $220 - and that's with tax).

Plus, you don't have to fart around hacking out the code in the iPod OS that won't let it play anything that you haven't a) ripped yourself or b) downloaded from iTunes.
                              (We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. Please, feel free to ignore this post if you so desire.)

Comment

Originally posted by Macavity
                                2) Some good books you might want to check out:
                                I would recommend any of the Effective... series of books by Addison-Wesley. Especially if you get semi-frequent interruptions.

Originally posted by Macavity
                                Plus, you don't have to fart around hacking out the code in the iPod OS that won't let it play anything that you haven't a) ripped yourself or b) downloaded from iTunes.
                                In the interests of putting down disinformation, most of the previous sentence is false.

Comment

Working...
                                X