Beer Cooling Contraption Contest - info thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by astcell
    I guess it's be inside the can and when colled to the satisfaction of the team, they can open the can and take a measurement. Better not hold the can in your bare hand, that can help warm it up, and that can cost degrees, points, and 1st prize.
    Maybe a thermometer held with a rubber stopper to suspend in fluid without touching the sides of the can.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
      Maybe a thermometer held with a rubber stopper to suspend in fluid without touching the sides of the can.
      Cooking thermometers (for inside the oven) usually have a long thin rod with a pointed tip. Puncture the top of the can with some sharp object to create a small hole into which the probe can be inserted. A rubber tab attached half-way up the probe would suspend the tip of the probe in the can. These probes have real-time digital temp readouts connected to them for easy monitoring.
      “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

Just let me drink each one, I'll tell you which WAS the coldest.

Comment

Originally posted by noid
          Request for clarification on the rules:

Should not or cannot?

Sorry to nitpick but I write policy for a living and I pick up on these things. Plus, whether I 'shouldn't do it' or I 'can't do it' will affect my design (see the thread on cheating for more indepth discussion of implied restrictions vs. explicit restrictions).

Still waiting for clarification....

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

hmmm.... i like to think that this whole contest has sort of evolved in a highly democratic way, so i'll defer to the majority opinion if people have very strong beliefs one way or the other regarding A/C power being permitted at all.

personally, i want to see designs that are capable, at least in theory, of deployment anywhere (like out at a Burning Man festival or something) and therefore do not need an A/C source. (if you wanna rig up car batteries and a power inverter because you have a particular piece of hardware that is A/C only somehow, more power to ya. of course, you are sacrificing efficiency in the conversion and that will cost you in a design sense.)

all in all, even if some part of a contraption runs on A/C power, i don't want to see people running extension cords all over creation and tapping into wall outlets at the AP.

(p.s. - sorry for the delayed reply. i'm way off the grid this week in north carolina. how i even got this dialup to connect is beyond me... if you call 12.0 kbps a connection)
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Maybe if they had a battery operated contraption that would go well. Although lots of good stuff came out of A/C such as the three headed Yager machine
              "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                hmmm.... i like to think that this whole contest has sort of evolved in a highly democratic way, so i'll defer to the majority opinion...
                I think only people who are listed as entering the contest should have a vote on this.

Comment

For measuring temperature down to under one degree accuracy without touching the liquid, how about this.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                    For measuring temperature down to under one degree accuracy without touching the liquid, how about this.
                    that is pretty sweet... but beyond my budget by a bit of a margin. i'm going to have some form of digital thermometers for the contest... but they'll likely be less cool than a laser one like that.

by the way... the contest now has a pretty locked-in time and location that (i think) works well around the schedule of all other events and (hopefully) doesn't conflict...

Saturday at 12:00 Noon by the Southeast side of Pool #1

please note, however, the text on the contest's main page discussing the competition time...

While [12:00 noon] is the specific time that i'm targeting for the trial runs and temperature clocking sessions, i will request that all participants be present and accounted for at 11:30 AM on Saturday while we set up and check to see that everything is in order. While much of this competition relates to hard figures of time and temperature, it can be seen [in the rules] how there is a certain subjective element to the judging of participants. I can assure you all that judges will look very favorably upon teams who arrive at 11:30 and set up their equipment well before noon so that everyone can compete and be free to head in other directions when 13:00 rolls around.
                    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 11th, 2005, 21:45.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Power requirements

My device requires electricity, but its source can still be flexible. I'd prefer to have an AC outlet, but I can still rig it to work on batteries (although this will drive the cost of my cooler up significantly). Can we get a final ruling on this so I can finish my cooler?

Vote beer!

Comment

Originally posted by bacchus
                        My device requires electricity, but its source can still be flexible. I'd prefer to have an AC outlet, but I can still rig it to work on batteries (although this will drive the cost of my cooler up significantly). Can we get a final ruling on this so I can finish my cooler?
                        let's put it this way... i certainly won't prevent you from competing, but the acquisition of A/C power is 100% on your shoulders. you have to provde the cords, scout the area, etc. i make no claim that we will be in any way near an outlet (we're doing this outside, remember) and if any goons or hotel staff request that you not tap into the feed (don't know how likely this is since they let poolside DJs use power) you will be obligated to unplug.

all in all, however, i will take a unit's self-reliance into consideration when judging, so if you can get the batteries operational it will be best for you. perhaps get the unit working with batteries, compete officially that way... then if you desire to really push your system to the limit patch into the A/C power to see its maximum performance.

that's the long answer, but somewhere in there is the short one, too. short answer: i won't bar you from the event, but plan on possibly being obstructed or at the very least losing some points... i'd recommend a battery solution unless it makes for a terrible performance drop or pushes your construction budget above $100.
                        Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 17th, 2005, 18:43.
                        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
                        X