X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi. see everyone the day~

hi~

Hi.
    I will be attending defcon. I will be flying alone by airplane.
    I'm afraid and nervous because I have no experience with defcon, and I really expect I will be harassed.
    Last edited by sat0100; July 1, 2005, 01:15.

I suspect English is not your native language. Your content has been altered in the quote below:
    Originally posted by sat0100
    Hi.
    I will be attending defcon. [removed]I will be flying alone by airplane.
    I'm afraid and nervous because I have no experience with defcon, and I really expect I will be harassed.(?guessing?)
    Read The Rules. Only submit a post if you have a related question, or have something worth-while to post. When you choose to ask a question, first search to make sure you question has not been answered, and to put your post in a related thread. If the thread is older than 2 weeks, the content you provide better be interresting.

If you want to save this thread, why not ask a new question?
    Examples:
    "Hello, I am from [country here] and I want to know if non-americans will be treated poorly and harassed more than americans attending DefCon. Can you provide me with help for non-American people who do not speak English as their native language and going to DefCon for the first time?"

This is offer is time limited.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; June 30, 2005, 22:54.

Comment

Originally posted by sat0100
      hi~

I'm afraid and nervous because I have no experience with defcon, and I really expect I will be harassed.
      You probably will be. Unless you're a big time loser, and then people won't be any attention to you.. But don't worry, I got sexually harrassed all the time by guys at DefCon, I think it's cause I'm built like Adonis.

Comment

Why wait until defcon to harass you? I think the harassment has already started.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
          You probably will be. Unless you're a big time loser, and then people won't be any attention to you.. But don't worry, I got sexually harrassed all the time by guys at DefCon, I think it's cause I'm built like Adonis.
          A very skinny Adonis...

And CotMan, lighten up. You could at least test the waters with this guy some and *then* jump down his throat for being n00b.

Anyway, sat0100, enjoy your first Defcon.

Bring a notepad and favorite writing instrument for notes (a laptop will really weigh you down, plus your batteries might only last 2 talks and power outlets are scarce) and check out the schedule of speakers:
          http://www.defcon.org/html/defcon-13/dc13-schedule.html

For some ideas on which presentations to see check this thread which is taking form (albeit slowly) - http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5753

Other than that, bring money for social lubricant (alcohol) and meet some cool people. :) There's also going to be a Forum meet, details here - http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5730
          cows like candy

Comment

thanks~

I got it.

Thanks for reply.
            And I am sorry for my poor english. (Because i am korean. )

I am trying to read every articles(threads) for understanding defon more... in this forum.

huuup!

Comment

Heres a few more threads to check out:

http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5681
              What to Expect

http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5585
              Some tips on how to beat the heat. I know it gets hot and humid in Korea in the summer time, but if you've never been to the deserts of America, you're in for a shock.

http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5483
              Stuff to bring

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Korean? Score some extra points by bringing some of your local hooch (alcohol). The natives will adore you. :)
                cows like candy

Comment

Oh yes. A bottle of Soju is always a good icebreaker. If I remember right, Imperial is a decent brand.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by veruus
                    And CotMan, lighten up. You could at least test the waters with this guy some and *then* jump down his throat for being n00b.
                    I "had a hunch" (*cough* using whois *cough*) the user was from Korea, which is why I took the time to correct the English in the post to better help the user.

Many people from Korea that are learning English like to practice their english skills, and desire the kind of correction provided. I won't be able to provide it every time, but I'll help where I can.

As for "getting on the newbie" the post was very close to "Hi I am new to DefCon. KThxBye." (Okay. Thanks. Bye.) or the many other existing threads "This is my first time to DefCon, what should I do?"

If I suspected that this user's primary language was English, then my reply would probably been less kind.

To salvage this thread earlier, sat0100 could have asked a question (like the example above) and we might have had a new thread with helpful information for people coming to DefCon from other countries. Who knows? Maybe it will become a useful thread.

Comment

Were you on the safety patrol or a hall monitor back in elementary school or something? Take a chill. I'll buy you a drink. :)
                      cows like candy

Comment

Were you on the safety patrol or a hall monitor back in elementary school or something?
                        None of the above. I volunteered for extra work, and organized clubs, stayed after school to play on their computers, and other projects. I was and still am a nerd.

Take a chill. I'll buy you a drink. :)
                        No way! I AM COT-HOLIO! ARE YOU THREATENING ME?

OK. I'll be nice and contribute to this thread.

Since we have so many people attending DefCon from outside the U.S., do any of you have suggestions for a person who is not a native English speaker from a country like Korea?

Here are some that have been report to me by 2 of my my "foreign" friends:
                        A guy that came with me to DC10 from Japan:
                        * Don't let people sneak up and group hug you-- it is scary.
                        * Bring a tape/digital recorder for important presentations (His English skills were good, but some speakers spoke too quickly.)

A guy from Denmark that has been to 3 or 4 DefCon:
                        * I should have brought more Dansk Beer
                        * In Denmark, you can't own firearms/guns unless you are part of a shooting club or are willing to use old-style weapons with restrictions, so either go to the DC Shoot or a Gun Range and shoot everything you can afford. (He really liked the SAW.)

Comment

Were you on the safety patrol or a hall monitor back in elementary school or something? Take a chill. I'll buy you a drink. :)
                          hahahaha... have you not met TheCotMan??? he's like that... good people.... for a hall moniter
                          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
                            hahahaha... have you not met TheCotMan??? he's like that... good people....
                            What a nice thing for you to write to...
                            for a hall moniter
                            Hah! Bungholio!

Also, both of these friends said they were glad that they were traveling with someone who spoke English and dealt with all of the reservations and stupid-american "customer service agents" for the hotel and other places.

Comment

Hangook saram e shin gayo? Chung mal?

Cho sumidah.

Manah so pangap sumnidah.

LosT

Comment

Working...
                              X