learning as I go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• learning as I go

Is it possible, polite, or just out of the question to just get a seat at one of the Capture the Flag tables if you're not a participant? Just to pick their brain and what they're doing as they do it. Should you just offer someone a beer and ask or just leave them alone. The last 3 years I've just sort of hovered but kept my distance behind the tape just dying to know what they were doing and learn something new

Originally posted by AGENT INFECTION
    Is it possible, polite, or just out of the question to just get a seat at one of the Capture the Flag tables if you're not a participant? Just to pick their brain and what they're doing as they do it. Should you just offer someone a beer and ask or just leave them alone. The last 3 years I've just sort of hovered but kept my distance behind the tape just dying to know what they were doing and learn something new
    Last year I talked to some of the people while the contest was on. It didn't seem to be a huge problem. Then again, I was talking to them in what seemed to be a slow time. You have to keep in mind they are very busy. You can't just sit there and talk for huge amounts of time. As long as you don't sit there and annoy the hell out of them, it shouldn't be an issue.
    The dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by AGENT INFECTION
      I have not visited it recently, but in the past, the separation was meant to tell people "This Network is for CTF-- DO NOT CONNECT unless playing."

The other "Server Spaces" of CTF (run by organizers) have been off limits to everyone except organizers, to avoid problems of physical access/social engineering to gain points through "other means." It is sort of like the NOC: another "stay out!" location at DefCon.

One year, I bugged a person about what they were doing with a library, and I received a rather amusing answer about how it was being used as an executable. Another time, I asked someone what they were doing, and they just scowled at me.

CTF has changed a lot over the years, with new rules, and this year, I think it has a new organizer. If they do not respond, you can try looking at their website for contacts.
      https://www.kenshoto.com/
      http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.p...&highlight=ctf

Comment

seriously.. if you sit down randomly at a teams table and try to jack in... (or even if you lurk too closely to their table) ... you had better: a) not care about the existance of your box.. physically b) have damned fast running shoes on.

Many teams are very leary of people because in past years a means of sneakily bypassing their defenses was to simply act as one of their team. Cameras and media are highly discouraged for several reasons, but one such is that they could be broadcasting or sneakernetting video of the competing teams strategy over to another.

If you are interested in what the CTF teams are doing, try to find out ahead of time which teams will be playing. Try to catch up with people on the team and obtain permission from them to sit in with them every now and then. Last I knew the game was getting VERY competitive and serious, so it may be more difficult to convince someone of your presence.
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

Working...
        X