No announcement yet.

Linux: Exec shield overflow protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm I looked around in /proc and I didn't any signs of a file that could have something to do with an execution shield.

I just found a confirmation that the 2.6 kernel really has address space randomization:
    http://lwn.net/Articles/121845/

I've also found out that my kernel does not use exec-shield, I looked at exec-shield's homepage and checked the patches up against the kernel source and it looks like the patch is not applied.
    http://people.redhat.com/mingo/exec-shield/

Edit:
    Guess what? :) I found the problem.. I decided to look through /proc again to see if I missed anything. And suddenly I stumbled over I file named "randomization_va_space".. hmm, I cat'ed it just to check what was inside, and there it was '1', when I saw it I just knew I had to try setting it to '0', so I did. I tried the exploit again and it worked like a charm. ;)

But I think it's kind of sad to give up when I have gotten this far, so I'm going to try to find a way around to get the exploit to work with randomization on. But so far I haven't gotten any ideas on how to go through with this.
    Last edited by dev_zero; July 5, 2005, 20:37.
    -- dev_zero@

Comment

I should say, I was not referring to you (dev zero) as the n00b, just general statment, sorry if I confused ya!
      "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
        I should say, I was not referring to you (dev zero) as the n00b, just general statment, sorry if I confused ya!
        I didn't thought you wrote that to me, but don't overestimate me. I'm not as experienced as you guys when it comes to things like this. So compared to you guys, I probably am a noob. =)
        -- dev_zero@

Comment

Working...
        X