Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rent access to room at alexis park during the day?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rent access to room at alexis park during the day?

I'm interested in finding out if anyone would be willing to rent me their room (well, mainly the TV in their room) to me during the day on Saturday so that I can watch/record the various talks?

Thanks in advance,

Welcome, Technomad. Since this is your first post we don't know how you may treat the TV and/or room. The AP will charge us ridiculous prices if anything breaks. Tell us about you maybe. Are you 15 and on crack? Are you 45 and a businessman?
    Last edited by astcell; July 3, 2005, 12:35. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
      Welcome, Technomad. Since this is your first post we don't knw how you may treat the TV and/or room. The AP will charge us ridiculous prices is anything breaks. Tell us about you maybe. Are you 15 and on crack? Are you 45 and a businessman?
      Hello astcell. Thanks for the welcome. I can say with some confidence that I am _not_ 15 and on crack. I definitely tend towards the 45 and businessman end of the spectrum (at DC10, I was fingered as a fed, even though I'm not :-) )

As far as liability goes, I'd assume that anyone renting to me would want to meet me in person at the AP, and I have a credit card and I wouldn't be opposed to giving it to the AP "just in case".

Cheers,

Comment

I would think you can just about crash int any room for TV/VCR space. I don't make any promises this early as far as sharing rides,roms, or in this case a TV set since things can and do still change for many folks. I should think that you will have no worries in getting TV time. It's not like there is anything else on TV since the hotel found out we broke the pr0n acess key.

Comment

Originally posted by technomad
          I'm interested in finding out if anyone would be willing to rent me their room (well, mainly the TV in their room) to me during the day on Saturday so that I can watch/record the various talks?

Thanks in advance,
          You could always bring a 50' section of rg8, a cable splitter, and one of those tools to take off the coax from a hotel tv. Even if they won't let you chill in their room, I'm sure someone would let you hax0r their cable and string it out a door/window.

Might limit you to a laptop with a usb tv tuner, but I'd be supprised if you were thinking of anything else.

Comment

wasting your time trying to record talks from CATV feed

Hey,

I tried to record the talks with a USB capture device during DC10 and the quality for 90% of the recordings stunk. I attended DC11 and the feed quality didn't look much better. I wasn't at DC13 and won't be attending DC14 due to work related issues.

Also do you want to be tied down to your gear in the sense that unless your solution is bullet proof (mine wasn't) you will have to keep checking your setup to make sure something hasn't froze up or died? a VCR solution would likely be more reliable but again...is the feed quality going to be up to par?

Why not buy a copy of the talks from the nice folks at The Sound of Knowledge? They offer a discount for ordering during the event and I'm sure you could think up some creative way to ease the cost.

Ciao!

Comment

Originally posted by telco88
              I wasn't at DC13 and won't be attending DC14 due to work related issues.
              Well not all of us have the time machine advantage on the stock market you do to come up with loads of cash. <g>

But I'm with you on the quality of any recording you will get from the rooms. The in house cable system at the AP licks much of the proverbial nutsack. I'm part of the group that has done the Defcon movie channel for the last few years, and damn, it is hard to get any sort of decent picture to the rooms. That and half the rooms don't seem to have all of the channels programed in. *sigh*

Comment

Low-definition TV?

Originally posted by A
                But I'm with you on the quality of any recording you will get from the rooms. The in house cable system at the AP licks much of the proverbial nutsack. I'm part of the group that has done the Defcon movie channel for the last few years, and damn, it is hard to get any sort of decent picture to the rooms. That and half the rooms don't seem to have all of the channels programed in. *sigh*
                So, it is fair to say that watching/recording the talks over the AP TV system is a waste of time? Or perhaps it's just a case of getting lucky enough to have a room that is wired/configured correctly?

Comment

So, it is fair to say that watching/recording the talks over the AP TV system is a waste of time? Or perhaps it's just a case of getting lucky enough to have a room that is wired/configured correctly?
                  Yes. Good reception in a room is luck. Really good reception from my experience is uncommon or rare. The DCMC was clearer than many of the talks. I may have brought a PVR to record presentations I was ntot watching, and if I did, all I saw was static on most of the recordings, with marginal audio. Watching from the TV was not much better, but we could see video with less static and it was better than waiting in line.

Comment

Perhaps I have been lucky in the past, but, while the quality was not acceptable for archival purposes, the content came through clear enough that I didn't have any problems understanding the talk.

I should note that my rooms have always been by Pool 2 or Pool 3 (i.e., farther back in the hotel). The more-experienced con-goers seem to go for rooms closer to the front which may present lower-quality feeds. Just a theory...

Comment

Originally posted by Voltage Spike
                      The more-experienced con-goers seem to go for rooms closer to the front which may present lower-quality feeds. Just a theory...
                      Yeah. All of mine were closer to the front of the AP/AV. Sometimes the rooms were DoubleKing somtimes DoubleQueen, but always closer to the front.

Comment

This isn't good. I wanted to capture some of the talks/movie channel. What kind of I/O do the sets have at the AP? I've never needed to notice before.

Al
                        "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Originally posted by alklloyd
                          This isn't good. I wanted to capture some of the talks/movie channel. What kind of I/O do the sets have at the AP? I've never needed to notice before.
                          The delivery of content to TV channels is through one of the many standards for "cable TV" over 75 Ohm Coax, using the same M/F connectors as conventional analog US Cable TV.

If you have something that is "cable ready" it should work fine.

This assumes they did not upgrade their television channel system and infrastructure since last year to digital or some other system.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                            The delivery of content to TV channels is through one of the many standards for "cable TV" over 75 Ohm Coax, using the same M/F connectors as conventional analog US Cable TV.
                            Also you may need a tool like one of these:

http://gallery.zzq.org/CableTools

Most hotels, and if I remember right atleast part of the AP, use Gilbert style coax protection sleeves. These are used to keep people from 1. screwing with the coax system in the rooms and 2. keeping you from hooking up a dvd player when they have gone to all of the trouble of providing you with the in room movie system.

"CATV Security Shield Tool" or just "cable tv tool" on ebay you should find more examples of what I am refering to.

Comment

Hopefully it is just the regular hotel coax...thanks for the replies cotman and a.

Al
                              "Are my pants...threatening you?"

Comment

Working...
                              X