Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Government to implement IPv6 by June 2008

http://www.fcw.com/article89432-06-29-05-Web

Interesting article. Anyone here using IPv6 yet? What have you found to be the obstacles, pros/cons etc of it? Security/insecurity?

Originally posted by geekgurl
    Anyone here using IPv6 yet? What have you found to be the obstacles, pros/cons etc of it?
    Non-routability across the commodity Internet (i.e. need for a 6bone tunnel)

As soon as routable IPv6 hits the mainstream, I think conversion will be substantially faster.
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
    45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
    [ redacted ]

Comment

Government to implement IPv6 by June 2008

I know it's not routable as of yet but there are some products on the market that will encapsulate the packets to V4. I'm kinda giddy with excitement in anticipation for when this finally becomes a usable protocol. Some of the self configuration options will make life much simpler for some of us. Managing a mess of public IP's can become a burden when there are much more important things to take care of on your network. Not to mention just the shear volume of IP's available. NAT is great but if you manage a large server farm it's a pain to get an IP address currently.

Anyway, I for one am excited to see this finally coming closer to reality. Reading about it for the last decade has been great but knowing that it's actually right around the corner is even better.

Comment

I am a little concerned about the security ramifications of IPv6. It will be tougher to monitor if they go full blown with built in IPSec (originally ment for 6 but reverse compatible with 4).

Does anyone else think this move was in response to China annoucing that the're moving to 6?
        "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

RFC's

www.techsupportalert.com/pdf/c0655.pdf

This is an overview of some of the points. Pretty good read to help familiarize someone with the protocol.

Of course you can read all the RFC's that concern IPv6 as well. The ones that I know of are:

1881, 1883, 1887, 1924, 1981, 2373, 2401, 2402, 2406, 2460, 2461 and 2463.

And to save time for those that don't know where to find them http://www.ietf.org/rfc.html. 2401, 2402 and 2406 are specific to security. The security implications in the latest RFC's ('98) are very encouraging. I'm sure there are more of them but these are the ones that I have in my notes of must reads and have reads. If anyone knows of others please share.

Comment

Working...
          X