X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We can always depend on the media...

New story, same old information
    “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Stories like this piss me off. A news station in my neck of the woods always has a "Computer Alert" segment that alerts people to "late breaking" security alerts. Its NEVER late breaking though. Generally the information they say is at least two weeks old. The funniest one that comes to mind is "Phishing: You don't need a Pole" (they always come up with good puns like that).

Why the hell can't they get people that report good tech news at local papers and news stations?
    The dude abides.

Comment

You do have to keep in mind the audience the media shoots for. At least 90% of the country thinks that phishing and vbs worms ARE 'evil hacking' and concernable things...
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

talking to mom the other day and Fox local news was reporting on the "new fad of wardriving". Mom had made the comment that since DefCon last year she has only begun to notice how uninformed the general public is.
        If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

Originally posted by Siviak
          talking to mom the other day and Fox local news was reporting on the "new fad of wardriving". Mom had made the comment that since DefCon last year she has only begun to notice how uninformed the general public is.
          I recorded the wardriving segment off our local FOX affiliate. I'll have it with me if anyone wants to watch it at Defcon for ironic value. But think invisible information spilling out into the street! *gasp*
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
          45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
          [ redacted ]

Comment

Originally posted by spahkle
            Not only that, but notice how bad grammar can change the meaning of a statement in that story:
            "It's so new statistics are not kept,"

Why do people steal badwidth?
            "It is so [that] new statistics are not kept,"
            [that] is implied without the "," included.
            Compare to:
            "It is so new, statistics are not kept,"
            What a difference a "," can make.

Why do we not have good tech reporters?
            Sensationalism sells. News bytes, sell. If you can't wrap up a story in 30 seconds or less, the general public does not want to hear it.

Why do news reporters call hi-tech criminals, [b]hackers[b]? For the same reason a person who is without a home is called homeless unless they are wanted/arrested for commiting a crime-- then they are a "drifter" or "transient."

Comment

Originally posted by bascule
              I recorded the wardriving segment off our local FOX affiliate. I'll have it with me if anyone wants to watch it at Defcon for ironic value. But think invisible information spilling out into the street! *gasp*
              I think this would be a good idea for:
              http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5784
              DCMC material for sure if you think its short enough.

-zac
              %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

Originally posted by pr0zac0x2a
                I think this would be a good idea for:
                http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5784
                DCMC material for sure if you think its short enough.

-zac
                Excellent suggestion, and I'm attempting to get it in there
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                [ redacted ]

Comment

Ahh.. more good ol' FUD... I have gotten where I try to tune most of the news out. Keeps my blood pressure much lower! :)
                  Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by spahkle

One more person to put up on the wall of shame.

Comment

Bleh...

I sometimes wonder why it is that we would even bother to educate them? What good would that do? They would first realize they made a mistake about one thing, but then go back to their old ways once something new comes out. It just seems educate people who are just ignorant and arogant. Doesn't anyone else see it? They're gonna take our advice for just a few things, but then they'll forget about it (and take it for granted), then go back to being ignorant and arogant.

So why should we get upset about all this?

Just let them wallow(sp?) in their stupidity. Let them feel special for their out-dated updates. Let them think they have the upper hand in the 'cyberworld'. Enjoy the fact that we can all laugh at them.

It's just one of those things that isn't worth getting all upset about. Just let them feel smart, then one day, it'll hit them. And the underground technology will te.
                      Oh it's fun and games to watch people burn up. It's not fun, however, to have to clean their burnt sticky bodies off the road while being handcuffed.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom Matrix
                        I sometimes wonder why it is that we would even bother to educate them? What good would that do? They would first realize they made a mistake about one thing, but then go back to their old ways once something new comes out. It just seems educate people who are just ignorant and arogant. Doesn't anyone else see it? They're gonna take our advice for just a few things, but then they'll forget about it (and take it for granted), then go back to being ignorant and arogant.

So why should we get upset about all this?

Just let them wallow(sp?) in their stupidity. Let them feel special for their out-dated updates. Let them think they have the upper hand in the 'cyberworld'. Enjoy the fact that we can all laugh at them.

It's just one of those things that isn't worth getting all upset about. Just let them feel smart, then one day, it'll hit them. And the underground technology will te.
                        te?

That problem is, if you don't call people on shit it just gets worse.

Comment

Umm... yeah... True... But...

(Sorry about the 'te', my filter blocked out the word 'dom!nate' spelled properly)

But what happens when it gets worse? Do we have to worry about it?

I'm serious, I'm confused as to why we can't just let them all go down hill...
                          Oh it's fun and games to watch people burn up. It's not fun, however, to have to clean their burnt sticky bodies off the road while being handcuffed.

Comment

I'm curious as to exactly how you think "the underground technology will dominate"?
                            Thorn
                            "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Originally posted by Thorn
                              I'm curious as to exactly how you think "the underground technology will dominate"?

Because he's young and idealistic.

Comment

Working...
                              X