Geek Love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geek Love

I was just thinking back on how my girlfriend and I got together and it made me think of an interesting thread topic.

The thing that really got me interested in my girlfriend is when she came up out of the blue and asked, "Can you tell me about PGP? Some people said you could explain it to me." Then we had a big talk about it. That was hot.

Does anyone else have some geeky love expieriences? I know some people on the boards have had to have had some, "Damn, her google-fu is sexy" sort of moments.
    The dude abides.

Actually, I'm quite the opposite. Evil dislikes computers for the most part and I find that sexy. I think it helps us keep our relationship from being too geek focused. As long as she's tolerant of my geek tendencies and I'm patient with her when she doesnt understand things like ipf and NIDS, then we're in good shape. We share a lot of non-technical mutal interests such as firearms, history, the outdoors, and cooking.

I've dated geek girls in the past, with disasterous results. The problem I had was that our lives would revolve around computers and we'd eventually end up on the same BBS' and in the same circle of people. When it came time for the relationship to end, they'd be firmly entrenched in my world and I'd never see the end of it.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

While this would be great, I have yet to find a girl (that's not taken) that's really into this stuff. You almost have to go back to College just to grab them before the general public (geek public) take notice.
      "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

Originally posted by noid
        I've dated geek girls in the past, with disasterous results. The problem I had was that our lives would revolve around computers and we'd eventually end up on the same BBS' and in the same circle of people. When it came time for the relationship to end, they'd be firmly entrenched in my world and I'd never see the end of it.
        This happened with a raver girl (not raver when I meet her) once. I suppose I needed to get out of that scene anyways

Comment

My wife met me in an RPG, and had been having computer problems. She invited me over to "fix" them. Needless to say, I fix them often now.
          -Ridirich

"When you're called upon to do anything, and you're not ready to do it, then you've failed."

Commander W.H. Hamilton

Comment

Originally posted by Ridirich
            My wife met me in an RPG, and had been having computer problems. She invited me over to "fix" them. Needless to say, I fix them often now.
            Wow....TMI man TMI!

Comment

2 geeks in a pod

My husband and I (married for 16 years) are both geeks. This has it's pros and cons. It's nice to have an understanding ear at the end of the day when work sucks - at least we "get it".

Comment

Originally posted by noid
                Actually, I'm quite the opposite. Evil dislikes computers for the most part and I find that sexy. I think it helps us keep our relationship from being too geek focused. As long as she's tolerant of my geek tendencies and I'm patient with her when she doesnt understand things like ipf and NIDS, then we're in good shape. We share a lot of non-technical mutal interests such as firearms, history, the outdoors, and cooking.

I've found it extremely nice having a girlfriend thats not into computers also. Its nice because she makes me spend time doing things other than hacking at code and talking on IRC, and introduces me to things I wouldn't be interested in normally. My clothes are no longer 95% XL-tshirts I got for free from computer conferences, and my hair actually gets cut more than tri-monthly. Though sometimes I think it would be nice to be able to discuss technical things with her, I enjoy the fact that we don't have to inate competition that comes with things like that.

It seems having similar interests is nice to a point, but I think a relationship would get boring if neither of you provide the other with a chance to grow as a person and learn new things.
                %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

Originally posted by Ridirich
                  She invited me over to "fix" them.
                  some people didn't believe me in the past when i'd try to tell them how much play i was getting from my job in service and support. i worked for a craptacular PC shop in their help department, so we'd often have upset, frustrated customers who were duped into buying a piece of garbage with a shitty warranty. (their bait and switch sales practices and generally poor treatment of the public was the reason that i was happy leaving.) often, when someone would come in with a broken machine and a manager told them that the store wouldn't do anything i'd get their number and offer to fix it on the side. not just single women, mind you... i'd offer to help whomever deserved it. but, damn, i have to say that ladies were often overcome with gratitude when things worked out in the end. got me my share of dates, etc. it even landed me the connections that resulted in a wide array of consulting jobs after i left that horrid store.
                  "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                  - Trent Reznor

Comment

Exactly. I am her private tech support in the true sense of the word.
                    -Ridirich

"When you're called upon to do anything, and you're not ready to do it, then you've failed."

Commander W.H. Hamilton

Comment

Originally posted by hackajar
                      While this would be great, I have yet to find a girl (that's not taken) that's really into this stuff. You almost have to go back to College just to grab them before the general public (geek public) take notice.
                      i have found that college isnt early enough...

Comment

My last girlfriend was pretty 'geek love' (she even has a thinkgeek shirt).
                        She was into bio and such...
                        On a few occations she came to a DC meet with me, and also was intrested in hearing about hash funtions and PKI. She played video games and enjoyed reading too. And Im sure your thinking she could be mistaken for a shemale, but you are quite wrong... she's a swimmer, 5'10, attractive. I was sad to see her leave for school... Better to have loved and lost, then even loved at all though.

They are hard to find...
                        The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

My SO of 12+ years is gratified by the benefits of technology and my ability with that technology. But, she's more than happy to let me be the geek. That being said, we met when she made me a sandwhich at the deli in college. Geek or not, there's always a route to a man's heart through his stomach.

show route
                          C heart is directly connected, stomach
                          “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

Comment

Originally posted by EvilMoFo
                            Need to work on the art of stealing women. Even geek girls prefer a guy whos suave and confident, and present company aside, most geek guys aren't suave and confident. Ignoring the moral questions pertaining to the theft of significant others, taken girls aren't off limits if you would be a better boyfriend than the one they currently have.

-zac
                            %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

Originally posted by EvilMoFo
                              Gotta be careful with the wording, that sounded almost....Illegal! But I cought what you were throwing

Here in Vegas, you still have a chance, cause there is a low geek (true geek) population here.

I had to steal some girlies from guys, true that, but it was only after they saw that current boyfriend was a joke, and couldn't back up his shit when I came around. Now I'm not saying I'm the shit, but just *Having* a knoppix distro and throwing buzzwords like "Linux" and "hackers" around only prolongs and primers the ladies for when I come into town

Comment

Working...
                              X