This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most complicated code

I was just thinking about the fact that most of us deal with code a lot.

Why not build your own, and try and build it complicated so that way it is difficult to for 'others' to use it.

But to make it more interesting. Why have it written down on paper? You know, a code that can be read like words?

Maybe this is just trash, but it sounded really cool in my head... *sigh*...
    Oh it's fun and games to watch people burn up. It's not fun, however, to have to clean their burnt sticky bodies off the road while being handcuffed.

Originally posted by Freedom Matrix

Why not build your own, and try and build it complicated so that way it is difficult to for 'others' to use it.

That is one of the fucking STUPIDest ideas I have ever heard.

Maybe you should keep those ideas in your head.

I'm curious what kind of code you deal with a lot?
    Last edited by highwizard; July 7, 2005, 09:19. Reason: added content

Comment

Sounds like your in the "Enlightining Stage" and just realzing potential for all that is out there.

There is readable code availble, which you should really refer to as "Cypher" or "Encryption". Think of written language like English and French. If I have no clue what French should look like, or how to read it, then I'm not going to "Get" the cypher. Were someone who does will.

There a billions of ways to do this here is a start.
      "Never Underestimate the Power of Stupid People in Large Groups"

Comment

But to make it more interesting. Why have it written down on paper? You know, a code that can be read like words?

on yousuck()
        display dialog "You are an idiot?" buttons {"OK"}
        end yousuck

yousuck()
        The dude abides.

Comment

Why not just call it the 'Perl Programming Contest' ?

;)

Comment

You mean, like The International Obfuscated C Code Contest?

Many people have tried different variations on making code complicated or more difficult to read. That contest has been around for a long time, and if you look through some of the entries, you will find a lot of code that is difficult to read.

Having code that is hard to follow because of the names used for identifiers is probably amaturish in this contest-- though it may appear in addition to other techniques.

Look through some of the winners' code, and see what I am writing about.

[Added content:]
            Examples:
            http://www0.us.ioccc.org/2004/anonymous.c
            http://www0.us.ioccc.org/2004/arachnid.c
            http://www0.us.ioccc.org/2004/newbern.c
            http://www0.us.ioccc.org/2004/gavare.c
            Last edited by TheCotMan; July 7, 2005, 11:15.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
              You mean, like The International Obfuscated C Code Contest?

Many people have tried different variations on making code complicated or more difficult to read. That contest has been around for a long time, and if you look through some of the entries, you will find a lot of code that is difficult to read.

Having code that is hard to follow because of the names used for identifiers is probably amaturish in this contest-- though it may appear in addition to other techniques.

Look through some of the winners' code, and see what I am writing about.
              Thanks for encouraging him.

Comment

Originally posted by highwizard
                Thanks for encouraging him.
                I would say, "I'm all about the service," but that is owned by Chris.

Here's is my point:
                The contest is 18 years old. The idea to have a contest where obfuscated code is used, is not at all new-- it may even be older than the poster.

(See the examples added to the post above.)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
                  I would say, "I'm all about the service," but that is owned by Chris.

Here's is my point:
                  The contest is 18 years old. The idea to have a contest where obfuscated code is used, is not at all new-- it may even be older than the poster.

(See the examples added to the post above.)
                  1) Chris stole that quote from me

Here is my point:
                  All his post today have reaked of fucktardity. Encouraging his idea's without discussing the merits of good code is doing a disservice to him and the community.

And really, I kinda expect more outta you.

Comment

1) Chris stole that quote from me
                    That is not what he says. I have a document that says he owns the IP for that quote. He added a b unch of space so he could copyright it too. ]:>

Here is my point:
                    All his post today have reaked of fucktardity. Encouraging his idea's without discussing the merits of good code is doing a disservice to him and the community.
                    I am actually a fan of the obfuscated C code contest. They are fun puzzles to try to decipher-- just so long as they are not in projects by co-workers in projects at work.
                    If he is a tard, then he will receive more than enough comments telling him/her so, that my contribution will be a drop of water in the ocean.

And really, I kinda expect more outta you.
                    Thanks mom.
                    That is the story of my life.

Comment

Here, let me cut out the middleman: http://www.x.org/download.cgi

And if that one's not confusing enough, let's try ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.5.0/source/

Punchcards. Punchcards with no sequence numbering.

(Actually, what you're talking about is pseudocode, one of those things that's a great idea in theory and not so hot when it comes to implementation time.)

Comment

Id say something in brainfuck would be the most obscure.

Otherwise, if you see this line in the BSD or Linux kernel:

Code:
                        /* You are not expected to understand this */
                        Then its probably obscure code.
                        Delicious Poison:

The difference between a nerd and a geek? Well a nerd does not wear Spider Man butt huggers.

Comment

I think his idea was vaild. The obfuscated C code contest is quite intresting I think...
                          There's a new one that they just started...
                          http://www.brainhz.com/underhanded/

"Inspired by Daniel Horn's Obfuscated V contest in the fall of 2004, we hereby announce an annual contest to write innocent-looking C code implementing malicious behavior. "

This is an excellent example of how a contest like this can improve security overall.

Fucktardity? I don't think so.
                          At least he was thinking in the right 'direction', or thinking even...
                          The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

All I can say is that you don't deal with code enough.

Security through obscurity - isn't. Not only that, but added complexity and confusion makes it much more likely that security issues will be introduced in maintenance if they aren't there already.

I'll take clean maintainable code over 'cleverness' any day - and somebody that can articulate their ideas clearly over the endlessly baroque.

Comment

Originally posted by dataw0lf
                              Why not just call it the 'Perl Programming Contest' ?

;)
                              Mad props for that
                              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B0
                              45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B1
                              [ redacted ]

Comment

Working...
                              X