This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody passing thru the midwest?

Last minute decision to go! anybody passing thru the midwest?
    I am in madison wi, but can catch ya in chicago and will throw in for gas money.
    will start looking for a cheap room to rent, willing to share if anyone so desires.
    let me know soon as possible...

z.pirate.jack at gmail dot com

Originally posted by 13x20
    Last minute decision to go! anybody passing thru the midwest?
    I am in madison wi, but can catch ya in chicago and will throw in for gas money.
    see... this i don't totally understand. (i'm not telling you that your offer is bad or that you shouldn't want to come to defcon) but driving from anywhere east of the rocky mountains makes very little sense unless:

1. you have some political aversion against airline security policies and/or just refuse to fly anywhere

2. you are bringing an assload of stuff (which would be quite a burden to people with whom you might seek to hitch a ride)

3. you just really really love road trips. (which i agree can be really fun... but across the whole country with near-total strangers only to spend a single weekend ragged and drunk, then drive back?)

you said you might meet someone in the chicago area. its about 1600 miles to vegas from there. at the currently accepted rate of vehicle wear, tear, and fuel that's like a $500 cost to drive. if you were to have only one other person in the car, that's $250 on your shoulders alone... plus food along the way and any hotels if you choose to stop for the night (a wise decision if you're switching off between just two drivers)

it's much cheaper and more convenient to fly, man. even at this late date it's possible to find flights from ORD to LAS and back for just over $300 total... and that eliminates the need to makes stops and buy food along the way, deal with the hassle of a driving itinerary, etc etc.

among my friends, i'm the guy who always drives... whether it's a short hop up to new york or a multi-state drive down to the carolinas, so i can understand the appeal of road trips... but geeez, man... think about flying if you're coming to defcon.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; July 19, 2005, 09:49.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

good point. I forgot how much gas is these days (not owning a car)
      i just figured if someone was already headed that way I could jump on board.
      okay well, i guess its on to flight checking now.
      thanks for the tip
      13x20

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
      see... this i don't totally understand. (i'm not telling you that your offer is bad or that you shouldn't want to come to defcon) but driving from anywhere east of the rocky mountains makes very little sense unless:

1. you have some political aversion against airline security policies and/or just refuse to fly anywhere

2. you are bringing an assload of stuff (which would be quite a burden to people with whom you might seek to hitch a ride)

3. you just really really love road trips. (which i agree can be really fun... but across the whole country with near-total strangers only to spend a single weekend ragged and drunk, then drive back?)

you said you might meet someone in the chicago area. its about 1600 miles to vegas from there. at the currently accepted rate of vehicle wear, tear, and fuel that's like a $500 cost to drive. if you were to have only one other person in the car, that's $250 on your shoulders alone... plus food along the way and any hotels if you choose to stop for the night (a wise decision if you're switching off between just two drivers)

it's much cheaper and more convenient to fly, man. even at this late date it's possible to find flights from ORD to LAS and back for just over $300 total... and that eliminates the need to makes stops and buy food along the way, deal with the hassle of a driving itinerary, etc etc.

among my friends, i'm the guy who always drives... whether it's a short hop up to new york or a multi-state drive down to the carolinas, so i can understand the appeal of road trips... but geeez, man... think about flying if your coming to defcon.

Comment

lol. i live in chicago i drive to the west coast all the time my family lives in california i drive a suburban gas prices will run you in a Normal vehicle (non suv) about 1000 + depending on where you are going and how fast you drive and gas prices. Thats just mathmatics.

food/hotel/etc the price for hotels depends on your "Standards" for living or well where you lay up at it can range anywhere from 50 - 140 per night for hotel plus well food usually can be bought cheep but well 2-3 day road trip (1 person) you already spent about 2000 + just to go to vegas pretty much.

thats not even the return trip back to the midwest.

i would not mind coming to a DC convention but well not for a while...

Matt.

Comment

dear matt,
          this is an old thread. we appreciate your input, but please dont post on a thread like this so late in the game.

also, please use this link. courtesy of the folks at rootCompremise.
          the fresh prince of 1337

To learn how to hack; submit your request

Comment

Working...
          X