Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philosophical discussion of teh munchies

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Philosophical discussion of teh munchies

    we considered offering the spare couch space in our room but grew wary over comments in your weblog... "Work with a pot-head for a little while and you'll see just how smart it would be to allow any moron to have access to it." it's a shame but understandable... those who keep their minds somewhat closed tend to be the most vocal opponents of other people who seek to open theirs.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

  • #2
    Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
    those who keep their minds somewhat closed tend to be the most vocal opponents of other people who seek to open theirs.
    [Use broad brush for sweeping generalizations here]

    So they have an opinion about drug use...
    Yeah, they shouldn't be allowed to even attend Defcon [/sarcasm]

    Good grief
    “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by spahkle
      [Use broad brush for sweeping generalizations here]

      So they have an opinion about drug use...
      Yeah, they shouldn't be allowed to even attend Defcon [/sarcasm]

      Good grief
      I think he meant that if in theory one might planning to be smoking pot at con, One might not offer crash space to a person with strong anti drug views. At least that's how I read it.
      "There are no failed experiments, only more data"

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
        those who keep their minds somewhat closed tend to be the most vocal opponents of other people who seek to open theirs.
        actually.. I've found that most people that consider their minds to be open just have a different standpoint than what is socially accepted; they are even more closed to argument because they believe they are 'open' for thinking the way they do and any opposer is close-minded for not seeing it their way.

        Those people also tend to be the pushiest and most annoying about converting others to their 'open-mindedness' than others that just believe what they believe for the sake of it.
        if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

        Comment


        • #5
          So, "Open Minded" really means, "audacious/unashamed about their own views" ?

          I suppose that's halfway there... :-)

          Speaking of room sharing, why should it matter if someone who wants to tag along who possibly has an anti-drug view? It's their room, whoever is crashing can suck it up and like it, choose not to be around when drug use is done, or just leave completely. That's just my opinion though, and am not suggesting what anyone should be doing about roomsharing. It's their room, they discern as they wish.
          :wq

          Comment


          • #6
            i wasn't making a criticism so much of a person's views but rather of the sentiment in which they were expressed. i don't know how often i see otherwise-intelligent people invoke the stereotype of the "brain-fogged stoner" as if that overused comic character has any real bearing on reality and the overall populace.

            the truth is that by a huge margin the people in this country who use harmless illicit substances are normal, intelligent, productive citizens who contribute as much to society as you or i. i'd say that something on the order of 70% to 80% of the people with whom i am acquainted (that includes friends, business associates, etc) are pot smokers. not a one among them is of the "lunkhead loser" variety. (yes, those people do exist... we've all seen one or two of them in high school or college... but they're the exception not the rule)

            the matter of drug legalization is important since it bears directly on the future of this country. how our budgets, health care system, prisons, and justice system will shape up in the future are all direct functions of this mess we call the war on drugs. it makes me unbelievably upset when this debate (which was being advocated by a billboard that Squidly1 described) is hijacked and derailed by people who pretend that if the laws were changed suddenly everyone would be showing up at work stoned, dragging down the economy and bringing the country to a grinding halt.

            i'm not saying "don't crash with this person" since they seem to be very amenable and have a history of enjoying defcon. my complaint was misplaced in a thread concerning room arrangements... but snide, groundless comments concerning matters that have powerful significance to me just set me off.
            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
            - Trent Reznor

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
              it's a shame but understandable... those who keep their minds somewhat closed tend to be the most vocal opponents of other people who seek to open theirs.
              Originally posted by Abby_Normal
              I think he meant that if in theory one might planning to be smoking pot at con, One might not offer crash space to a person with strong anti drug views. At least that's how I read it.
              By trying really hard I can interpret it the same way. But on first take, that statement sounds so condescending. The whole "it's a shame you're so ignorant". All the person asked for was space in a room, and was quite polite about it.
              Originally posted by converge
              actually.. I've found that most people that consider their minds to be open just have a different standpoint than what is socially accepted; they are even more closed to argument because they believe they are 'open' for thinking the way they do and any opposer is close-minded for not seeing it their way.

              Those people also tend to be the pushiest and most annoying about converting others to their 'open-mindedness' than others that just believe what they believe for the sake of it.
              Absolutely. It all jumps back on the "intolerance" Merry-go-round.
              “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

              Comment


              • #8
                I get off on 57 Chevy's...
                if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                  i wasn't making a criticism so much of a person's views but rather of the sentiment in which they were expressed.
                  Ok, I never saw these sentiments expressed in this post. Were they edited out?
                  Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                  eloquent statements about drug culture in America removed for space
                  I happen to have very similar opinions to yours about the wasted war on "drugs" and the economical impact of such, but would rather express it somewhere besides Ride and Room Sharing.
                  Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                  i'm not saying "don't crash with this person" since they seem to be very amenable and have a history of enjoying defcon.
                  Cool, becuase that was the only thing that set me off. Relevance to this persons request (but again, I guess the original quote was edited?)
                  Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                  my complaint was misplaced in a thread concerning room arrangements...
                  agreed
                  Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                  but snide, groundless comments concerning matters that have powerful significance to me just set me off.
                  A quick aside, I would restate that "snide, groundless comments concerning matters that have powerful significance to [you]" cause you to respond with "snide, groundless comments". Make sure I buy you a drink at Defcon to make up for my quick tempered response
                  “Bigamy is having one wife too many. Monogamy is the same.”

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by spahkle
                    Ok, I never saw these sentiments expressed in this post. Were they edited out?
                    no, they appear on the person's web page. (i follow links, etc. to see who's who and what's what when new people pop up on my radar, esp. since i had potential space available and wanted to know more about Squidly.)

                    Originally posted by spahkle
                    Make sure I buy you a drink at Defcon to make up for my quick tempered response
                    you may do so immediately after i buy you one first. i appreciate both the manner in which you felt compelled to defend a person who was being criticized (my initial post was a bit harsh) and the fact that you followed-up the thread and helped keep it at a level-headed tone. you're precisely the type of person i value... someone who potentially disagrees with me, but is willing to engage me directly and open my eyes -- not just grumble in a corner... then in the end we find that our positions are very similar and we hit a bar.
                    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                    - Trent Reznor

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                      no, they appear on the person's web page. (i follow links, etc. to see who's who and what's what when new people pop up on my radar, esp. since i had potential space available and wanted to know more about Squidly.)

                      you may do so immediately after i buy you one first. i appreciate both the manner in which you felt compelled to defend a person who was being criticized (my initial post was a bit harsh) and the fact that you followed-up the thread and helped keep it at a level-headed tone. you're precisely the type of person i value... someone who potentially disagrees with me, but is willing to engage me directly and open my eyes -- not just grumble in a corner... then in the end we find that our positions are very similar and we hit a bar.
                      Alchool is BAAAD, you should not resort on Alchool use to resolve a conflict about Drugs. Alchool is as bad as drugs.
                      Follow the rule 11, you shall not drink alchool unless it's little jesus blood!
                      /* NO COMMENT */

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Where did you see that?

                        Wow, I go to sleep and look what happened! : )

                        Just a quickie note here - I'd like to get the link of where on my site you read that. 'Cause, I'd like to read it myself. If it was me who posted that, I wanna read the whole quote and not just the selected portion. My blog has been abandoned for over a year old and is located here: http://www.schleppingsquid.net/Blog/ (and is not directly linked from my site, but has no mention of the quote provided).

                        My personal stance on any drug is: I'm a voting supporter of the medicinal usage of pot. For friends who have had relatives suffering from cancer - medical pot was a God-send. But, since the law still reads that it's a no-no for healthy folk, I'd rather not be in the presence of people partaking (I like the crappy little job I have and want to keep it, getting busted as a bystander won't matter). Plus, I have gone to school with and work with admitted pot-heads - so if I have an opinion on the subject I think I can make it with some authority. A lot of times those who enjoy Herb don't really see all the changes that come over them. My pot friends (ie: smoked 1-2 joints a day to relax, while in college) did forget stuff more frequently than those that were not as active (weekend tokers). Besides, I'm not the type to push my opinions anyway. It's your life. I just look out after my own life.

                        Now, the two reasons I would not prefer to be present during a toke-a-thon: my job tests for usage and second-hand will pop positive if I stuck around long enough for a contact buzz, and in my "old age" I have developed a slight allergy to smoke (causes my bronchial tubes to narrow a bit - same problem with fresh cut lawn grass). So... it sucks to be around normal smokers too.

                        As a side note for those who might consider me as a sofa or rug guest: I'm checking with the guys at BaseNet to see if they might want coverage of the event for their show- so I might interview my gracious host for their show (if you want to be interviewed, that is). Waiting for the BaseNet crew's response. If not, I may pop out my own mini show featuring the interviews of attendees and speakers.

                        Anyways, my old blog says it all - I'm passionate about grilling and love being a geek. Hope to see you guys at the Con.

                        - Squidly1
                        Last edited by Squidly1; July 22, 2005, 04:37.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Squidly1
                          I'd like to get the link of where on my site you read that. 'Cause, I'd like to read it myself. If it was me who posted that, I wanna read the whole quote and not just the selected portion.
                          the line i was quoting was a comment in reaction to an MTA billboard advocating changes to the nation's drug laws posted below the photo here. the billboard was put up by the advocacy group Change the Climate and beared the statment
                          protect our children... legalize and tax marijuana
                          the full text of the comment regarding this ad posted by someone in response was
                          Umm... Yeaaahhhhh... That will fix the problem. My opinion is: if a doctor would not prescribe it to you - you don't need it. Work with a pot-head for a little while and you'll see just how smart it would be to allow any moron to have access to it.
                          Originally posted by Squidly1
                          I'm a voting supporter of the medicinal usage of pot. For friends who have had relatives suffering from cancer - medical pot was a God-send. ... Plus, I have gone to school with and work with admitted pot-heads - so if I have an opinion on the subject I think I can make it with some authority.
                          those are your opinions, and that's fair enough. you are certaily more than entitled to have them and i fully respect your right to hold that stance. i think it is a little bit groundless and soft on evidence (you apparently base your comments exclusively on social interactions as opposed to published medical literature and thus come up with the currently-popular "medical reasons / doctor's prescription" opinion. which is ironic, since it's the medical community that's been saying for years how harmless it all is and that handling drugs as a legal problem as opposed to a medical one is what causes society the most possible harm)

                          in any case, i appreciate those who stepped up to tell me to ease back on the gas pedal with my comments. i didn't mean to jump down your throat over a post to your photoblog (which you indicate may or may not have been made by you, if i'm reading your above post correctly) and hope you have a terrific time at defcon. you stated that you love grilling... will we see you at the toxic bbq? i'd be happy to make a peace offering of a cocktail and a sample of the exotic meat that we've arranged for that afternoon.
                          "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                          - Trent Reznor

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by dataworm
                            Alchool is BAAAD, you should not resort on Alchool use to resolve a conflict about Drugs. Alchool is as bad as drugs.
                            Follow the rule 11, you shall not drink alchool unless it's little jesus blood!
                            I can vouch for this.. Alcohol makes Dataworm speak with a very thick French accent.. If Dataworm is speaking with such an accent, it means he has had a drink.
                            Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by che
                              I can vouch for this.. Alcohol makes Dataworm speak with a very thick French accent.. If Dataworm is speaking with such an accent, it means he has had a drink.
                              Funny, I always hear it as a thick East Texas accent. Everyone should hear Dataworm say "y'all" at least once.
                              Aut disce aut discede

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X