Packing Tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing Tips

Since the bulk of us will be heading out in the next few day, I figured I'd start a thread. Not on what to pack, but how to pack.

I learned a valuable lesson about 2 years ago. Vegas is hot and the tarmac at the airport is even hotter. Your bags may be out in the heat for a bit. Remember to put anything that may get hot and melt in a ziploc style bag before you pack it. I opened my toiletry bag that year to find it pretty much coated in liquid deodorant, as my block of speedstick had turned into goo out in the hot sun. Luckily my toothbrush was in one of those toothbrush tube things, and it stayed contained within the bag. Just a thought for some of the folks that have never been in Vegas before.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

my advice to others... the technique i now swear by (partly due to a desire to travel light and partly due to the fact that airports have now become stalinist border checkpoints thanks to needless TSA shenanigans) is the following...

pack a small carry-on backpack with the following...

1. a couple changes of clothes (mostly underwear if you wear them... you only need one or two sets of outer garments for the whole con, imho)
    2. minimal toiletries (stuff so you don't stink... toothpaste, deodorant, maybe cologne) all double-bagged in heavy duty plastic
    3. your laptop, books, ipod, or other entertainment
    4. one extra pair of footwear.

anything and everything else that you could possibly desire to have at defcon...

1. pack securely in a big-ass box, and fedex it the hell out of your way. it will get to the AP or wherever you're staying. (as others have noted before... make sure your recieving info is NOT printed in big letters -- so people can't see the name over the counter and try to social engineer it -- and make sure it says, in large letters, NO AUTHORIZED PICKUP OF THIS ITEM WITHOUT PHOTO ID etc etc if you want to be extra safe)
    2. insure the fuck out of the package... murphy's law will kick in the one time that you don't. remember that all fedex shipments are insured to a certain degree ($200, i think) but if you're sending a laptop, or other electronics... by all means declare their value at like $1500. it's not much for the additional insurance.
    3. keep the box and the stuffing under a desk during the con. ship stuff home snail-mail pace. (maybe even leave room in the box so that you have space to ship home swag, vendor purchases, etc.)

best thing i've ever done was to decide to travel with no checked bags and the lightest load possible. i highly recommend it.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Comment

Pack lots of weird sex toys in your carry on, just cause it's funny to watch when you get pulled for a search.

But take the batteries out first, those tsa guys get might jumpy about vibrating bags. Who knew?
      "There are no failed experiments, only more data"

Comment

Originally posted by Abby_Normal
        Pack lots of weird sex toys in your carry on, just cause it's funny to watch when you get pulled for a search.

But take the batteries out first, those tsa guys get might jumpy about vibrating bags. Who knew?

We packed a bag exclusivly with 2000 prophylactics. Their reaction was interesting.

Anyway

What to also pack on carryon:

Medications
        Emergency numbers (in case your phone gets stolen)

This site should have better ideas
        http://www.onebag.com/list.html

Comment

This made me think of a great scene from the movie Fight Club.

"Airport security officer about a vibrating suitcase: "Nine times out of ten it's an electric razor, but... every once in a while... it's a dildo. Of course, it's company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo. We have to use the indefinite article "a" dildo, never... "your" dildo." (wikiquote.org)
          The only constant in the universe is change itself

Comment

Don't forget.. booze in the check-in bags can get warm and pop as well..
            Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

I find packing any bottles in ziplocks prevents a lot of mess. And keep booze in the carry on. Not only will it not expolde, but it will be close at hand when the babies start screaming.
              "There are no failed experiments, only more data"

Comment

I find packing any bottles in ziplocks prevents a lot of mess. And keep booze in the carry on. Not only will it not expolde, but it will be close at hand when the babies start screaming.
                i was pretty pleased that the TSA goons didn't give me any crap about a metal flask of whiskey that i had in my carry-on bag last time i flew out to vegas. they didn't even unscrew it or test its contents eventhough i was pulled out of line for a search. (which i always am )
                "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                - Trent Reznor

Comment

Yeah Ive had exploding items, cologne packed, learned that one last year.. ziplock liquid containers.

Comment

Make a list of the items you bring, then check it while you pack up so that you don't leave it in the hotel room.

Comment

I have actually never had issues with taking bottles of homebrew in my carry-on. I have had more problems with bottles of shampoo than with beer..
                      Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                        Make a list of the items you bring, then check it while you pack up so that you don't leave it in the hotel room.
                        I do something similar with the TSA. I leave a note in my bag that says 'an inventory list of all items in this bag has been made and is in the posession of the bag owner. Any missing items WILL be noticed'

And so they dont call my bluff, I do keep an inventory list with me in my carry-on.

Gotta love the TSA, only agency that employs more felons than it catches.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                          2. insure the fuck out of the package... murphy's law will kick in the one time that you don't. remember that all fedex shipments are insured to a certain degree ($200, i think) but if you're sending a laptop, or other electronics... by all means declare their value at like $1500. it's not much for the additional insurance.
                          UPS insures to $100 free. I believe (not 100% sure) FedEx is the same.

Comment

My best recommendation for traveling to Las Vegas, (or anywhere with lots of smokers) is keep a change of clothes in a plastic bag and don't open it until you are ready to fly home.

If possible, shower before heading to the airport and rip out that change of clothes from your hermetically sealed bag, you will feel all the better for it, and you won't reek as bad as all the other losers on the plane ride home.
                            Nonnumquam cupido magnas partes Interretis vincendi me corripit

Comment

Originally posted by erehwon
                              My best recommendation for traveling to Las Vegas, (or anywhere with lots of smokers) is keep a change of clothes in a plastic bag and don't open it until you are ready to fly home.

If possible, shower before heading to the airport and rip out that change of clothes from your hermetically sealed bag, you will feel all the better for it, and you won't reek as bad as all the other losers on the plane ride home.
                              Hey. I wear that stink like a badge of honor. It's what says 'I was there, man'

Comment

Working...
                              X