The proverbial desert island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The proverbial desert island

You are going to be out of circulation for a year. No computer. No Internet. No Defcon. You only have one cargo pocket on your pants leg. Whatever you load in it will have to feed your mind for one year.

What do you carry?

The computer/internet/Defcon part leads me to believe that the item must be computer related?

If not, I say the Bible.
    Answering easy questions since 1987
    Si Dieu est pour moi, qui peut être contre moi?

Comment

A computer is sorta worthless on a desert island, no? After 6 hours that is all for a year. Items needing power may not work well.

The Bible is good, but if you have read that (and many have), then what?

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
        A computer is sorta worthless on a desert island, no? After 6 hours that is all for a year. Items needing power may not work well.

The Bible is good, but if you have read that (and many have), then what?

BY THE WAY... I am going somewhere with this, I will close the thread and explain at that time. I am looking for a "Eureka!" answer.

Comment

Yeah..I was actually thinking more along the lines of a computer book or manual, but you make sense.

BY THE WAY... I am going somewhere with this, I will close the thread and explain at that time. I am looking for a "Eureka!" answer.
          With my response? Like I've said before, I know those forums were closed for a reason, so I try not to go into it. But if you're looking, then I'll be glad to help you find.
          Answering easy questions since 1987
          Si Dieu est pour moi, qui peut être contre moi?

Comment

What^H^H^H^HWho do you carry...

You are going to be out of circulation for a year. No computer. No Internet. No Defcon. You only have one cargo pocket on your pants leg. Whatever you load in it will have to feed your mind for one year.

What do you carry?
            I carry Jamie Butler. That guy is just so fun to hang out with. He's really cute too and can fit in your pocket. Plus by the time the year is up you will be DA MAN with windows.

Jamie Butler, don't get stranded on a desert island without him. Of course it would be easier to take him more seriously if he wasn't so damned short.

Comment

solar powered pda w/ GPS
              ~:CK:~
              I would like to meet a 1 to keep my 0 company.

Comment

What do you carry?
                One multi-tool or one Swiss Army knife.
                That way I can feed my mind, by using it to try and make the stuff I want/need in order to keep feeding my mind more.

I.E. Use the knife to cut wood, use the minimagnifying glass to make fire, use the fire to heat water, use the water to make wood pulp into paper, use the charcoal from the fire to write thoughts down on newly made paper, etc, etc.

You get the picture, right ? Intelligent people don't need to worry in advance about feeding their mind. They will allways find a way of keeping the wetware in gear.

Dutch
                All your answers are belong to Google. Search dammit!!!

Comment

5 lbs of seine twine , my gerber, a forever flashlight, my solar casio g shock watch, a flintstone, and my black boonie hat .

siene twine:
                  i know how to make fishing nets , and can keep myself occupied by making fancy knotwork

gerber:
                  this tool never leave my side and has seen the world with me , their is no way it would have left my pocket

forever flashlight :
                  the good ol' Faraday Principle of Electromagnetic Energy will help me through the night .

casio solar g shock watch :
                  its powered by the sun , though if i were on a island , I doubt the NIST radio signal from colorado or hawaii would reach my watch to syncronize like it does now .

flintstone:
                  i have to start a fire somehow , and a flintstone could survive a lot longer that just a book of matches or a lighter .

black boonie hat :
                  yet another thing i NEVER leave home without.

with those supplies i could catch food and feed my brain .
                  Last edited by zziks; August 6, 2005, 03:16. Reason: But wait... theres more !
                  the only question in life is , Why?

Comment

I'd take my trusty Carbon V blade, rubiks cube, fortune cookies and a Seatex Seatrack 220.

The reasons for the blade are many, too many to list. Rubiks cube is more of a mental challenge to distract from everything else, and parallels the very same challenge that you'd be in. Fortune cookies for lame fortunes and comedic value, and last but certainly not least... the Seatrack 220. The 15-20km range GPS transponder + UHF radio could be used to communicate with boats nearby, and try to maintain some sort of sanity.

Qu|rk-

Comment

Fortune cokies and a radio...good one. :> Fishing nets and stuff feed the body, not the mind, at least for me, however.

Comment

Fishing nets and stuff feed the body, not the mind

Fishnets on the other hand have fed my mind countless hours of fantasies.
                        perl -e 'print pack(c5, (41*2), sqrt(7056), (unpack(c,H)-2), oct(115), 10)'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris
                          Fishnets on the other hand have fed my mind countless hours of fantasies.
                          have I mentioned today that I love the way this man thinks?
                          If I had a nickle for every time someone offered me ten cents to keep my two cents to myself... I would be a rich man.

Comment

since it seems that we're allowing multiple items so long as they might fit into the cargo pocket... i'd say some combination of essential literature that one can read and re-read numerous times without being bored of it and still learning more from it. a few suggestions might be Plato's Republic, anything by Vonnegut... personally i'd recommend Player Piano, poetry by Ginsberg, Whitman, or Eliot, and anything written well of the eastern philosophy side of things. (take your pick there)

if we're talking about hypotheticals, then some solar-powered, ultra-ruggedized long-batt-life eBook reader with a collection of all the above plus a rundown of the greatest literature in the history of the world would do me right... i never have enough time to read all that i want and a secluded island could be perfect with such a library.

besides reading matter, i would dedicate any and all remaining free space in my pocket(s) to bags of mushrooms, since very small quantities feed the mind quite exceptionally and they do not lend themselves to repeated, frequent use... a single ounce would easily last a year for one person. eating 1/16th every full moon or so... yeah, that plus the greatest written words ever to be set on a page... after one year i think i'd be in a better place with my head than i could ever dream. where do i sign up for this, again?
                            "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
                            - Trent Reznor

Comment

Pictures of friends and family, a pocket copy of The Odyssey and thread. You can never run out of fun uses for thread.
                              The dude abides.

Comment

Working...
                              X