Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

care to recommend a hosting provider for a non-profit org?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• care to recommend a hosting provider for a non-profit org?

heya,

a school where i consult recently experienced a pretty major foul up with their web site. while being hosted at a company who has been pretty reliable for me in the past, jaske.com, one of the DNS servers was owned and used to send out massive phishing emails. this resulted in your standard script kiddie cleanup, except for the fact that in the process (once we were assured that the boxes were fixed and all sites were up and running again) the break-in occurred again, with more downtime and so forth.

in the end, i think the techs just gave up and moved everyone to another machine. in the process, they managed to delete the entire forum database of users and posts (users which i setup for the school, allowing all teachers to post homework, schedules, etc. a nice system and i'm not looking forward to configing all those forums and user permissions again) and generally make a mess of things. after many calls went unreturned we've decided to hell with them and we'll get hosting somewhere else.

Mister Google turned up many providers for me, but aside from their basic package prices, searching on the web can't really provide deep insight into how clueful or clueless companies are. Does anyone have any favorite providers that they'd care to recommend? Those of you whom i know pretty well here have your shit wired together and your opinions count with me.

The school is a non-profit, so a provider that offers a package with lower rates for such an organization would be nice. Other than the PHP bulletin board (which specific one a provider supports doesn't matter to us... they all work basically the same way and we're not restoring from a backup) the school doesn't do anything fancy with their web presence. Nepotism works fine with me, so feel free to whore your own companies... if i dig you i'll go with your people.

Thanks for the insight... don't wanna go through this same type of mess again in six months by picking some company that looks professional but turns out to be two guys who turned their garage into a hardware shop / hosting provider / chiropractic care center. you know, i'm trying to avoid an operation like this.
    Last edited by Deviant Ollam; August 15, 2005, 15:50.
    "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
    - Trent Reznor

Have you checked out http://www.johncompanies.com/ ?

(This is not my company.)

When I was shopping for colocation providers, this item stood out to me:
    Originally posted by fromwebsite
    You will deal directly with first class UNIX technicians. There is no time-consuming trouble ticket escalation process- you deal directly and immediately with the first-tier techs who run the actual systems. There are no boundaries on the questions you can ask. Need help chrooting a name server? Advice on which mail MTA to install? Problems setting up an ssh tunnel? We are happy to help with these things and more, and we will resolve your problem within 24 hrs.
    I've done all of these things mentioned above locally, so I get some clue as to the level of these claims. For them to be able to make the claim as stated above is significant. (e.g. "and we will resolve your problem within 24 hrs.")

In the past, I generally did not get responses like, "huh?" when I <insert some techie thing here> during conversations with them.

Their virtual servers are backed up, too.

They also have this:
    Originally posted by url
    Special Offer: Discounts for open source developers, students, schools and non-profit organizations - please email info@johncompanies.com for information on qualifying for these discounts.
    Last edited by TheCotMan; August 15, 2005, 16:08.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCotMan
      Have you checked out http://www.johncompanies.com/
      they seem pretty terrific, but it would be a bit of an overkill for this little school. the school doesn't have their own server and co-lo type service is way beyond their needs. if john companies offers basic hosting service then i'd get interested really fast, since they seem to be on the ball. but i didn't see such a package on their site.

can anyone recommend any other companies with affordable, quality web hosting?
      "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
      - Trent Reznor

Comment

Working...
      X