wardriving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wardriving

i recently got a new laptop with a 60 hdd im going to put win xp cus i need it for school linux (not sure waht distro yet) and free bsd and i want to do some wardrving any one have any tips or something that could help me

Originally posted by DXT
    i recently got a new laptop with a 60 hdd im going to put win xp cus i need it for school linux (not sure waht distro yet) and free bsd and i want to do some wardrving any one have any tips or something that could help me
    60 kB Hard Disk Drive? WOW! Heh-heh. That was fun.

Tips? Sure. Lurk. There are a number of quality threads here where questions of what antenna/wireless card combinations should be used, and intelligent answers are provided. You can search for them.

Two examples:
    http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5567
    http://forum.defcon.org/showthread.php?t=5174

And somewhere, there is a really good thread from Thorn and Chris (I think) where a discussion of what combination of quality in cables, connectors, antenna, cards, provides the best results, and how having more watts does not mean better signal:noise advantage. (Sorry, did not find it, but you can.)

Oh yes, and one more thing. Don't post to old threads (like those with URL above) unless you have something useful to add. The older the thread, the more useful your suggestion should be. This is a pre-warning. Anything less than 2 weeks old is generally "fair game."

Comment

thanks for the tips and pre-warning TheCotMan

Comment

Originally posted by DXT
        thanks for the tips and pre-warning TheCotMan
        No problem. :-)

Come to think of it, I may have seen that thread I describe above while lurking in the NetStmbler forums. (Antenna FAQ)
        Check out their FAQ section:
        Antenna and the less populated War rDriving tips

Comment

what is a good gps for war drving

Comment

Originally posted by DXT
            Unfortunately you require four GPSs for a valid fix, so picking a favourite is a difficult task. I've never had any
            problems with USA 100 in Plane C Slot 1, but that's probably just me.
            "There are those who do the work and those who take the credit. I try to be in the first group, there is less competition there." -- Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by DXT
              Anything that uses NEMA 0183 serial output. Since both NS and kismet (well gpsd) use NEMA sentences, that's what you want.
              Thorn
              "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." - Catherine Aird

Comment

Working...
              X