Need insight to a career decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need insight to a career decision

Alright you may have remembered my earlier post about how you were able to pay for college...Anyway I conviently live in the same state of the University of Arizona which is ranked in the top 5 in Management Information Systems (MIS). MIS is basically computer science with a business twist (I believe) and garuntees me a job once I get out of college. My question is, is it really worth going into? I am having doubts about it since I know a few middle-aged men who have fallen out of the IT realm and now do dirty work such as being a substitute teacher for a high school or something.

Study something you're passionate about - AND THEN - find a way to make money exploring your passions.
    Any other path is a road to longterm failure.

BTW: Nothing guarantees a job (when you get out of college or at any other time). If you want financial stability, create multiple income sources and work until you have enough money and don't need to work anymore.

If you're dependant on a single source of income, you're potentially one lay-off or firing from financial instability.
    --BC,
    Last edited by big chopper; September 5, 2005, 12:11.

Comment

Originally posted by big chopper
      Study something you're passionate about - AND THEN - find a way to make money exploring your passions.
      Any other path is a road to longterm failure.

BTW: Nothing guarantees a job (when you get out of college or at any other time). If you want financial stability, create multiple income sources and work until you have enough money and don't need to work anymore.

If you're dependant on a single source of income, you're potentially one lay-off or firing from financial instability.
      --BC,
      I agree with ^.

I have a problem with the ITT Tech, and schools like that because they have the priorities of college all screwed up. College is not about getting a job. Hell I'd bet a large number of the more intelligent people on these forums didn't even do the college thing. College is about learning what you really want to learn. Its also about meeting people and growing as a person. Go to college to have fun and do what you want to do. Get drunk and hang out with your friends. Do stupid stuff and piss off your parents. Meet people and form lifelong relationships. A college degree really isn't as important as people claim. You can do anything with any degree, some just might make it slightly easier. College is learning and people, and if you concentrate on anything else you are wasting it.

-zac
      %54%68%69%73%20%69%73%20%6E%6F%74%20%68%65%78

Comment

U

Originally posted by xXKelbaXx
        MIS is basically computer science with a business twist (I believe) and garuntees me a job once I get out of college.
        Someone lied to you. NOTHING guarantees you a job. I interviewed someone a few weeks ago who had the same attitude, except he had his CISSP. Someone had told him it was the ticket to the land of milk and honey. Thats not the case, ever.

My question is, is it really worth going into? I am having doubts about it since I know a few middle-aged men who have fallen out of the IT realm and now do dirty work such as being a substitute teacher for a high school or something.
        It depends. They say the average American changes career paths 3 times in their life. I've been in IT since I was in my late teens (I'm now in my 30s) and I can tell you that I am getting burned out on parts of it. There is a part of me that wants to go raise Emus or open an auto repair shop, but at the same time, thats as the result of close to 15 years of work in the IT field. You sound like you're fairly young (since you're in college), so dont make long, long term plans based off where other people are in their lives. There is good money to be made in IT, and there are many challenging postions out there. If you like solving problems, IT is definately the field to get into. Dont worry about how you are going to feel about working in IT 10-15 years from now. A good chunk of us got into computers as a hobby, then turned it into a career. During the next 10 years of your life, you may do the same thing with something else (I've gotten back into working on cars and gunsmithing in the last few years, thats a hobby that may become my second career at some point), so dont sweat it.

That said, it is a very compeditive world. Remember, just about everyone here that grew up in the age of home computers has been getting told since they were kids to 'get into the computer industry'. I remember when I was 10 being told by parents and relatives to stick to being a computer wiz and that I'd make my fortune there. That said, theres a metric asston of us out there that have done just that, so you wont be alone in the job market looking for that perfect IT position. The best bet there is to have experience. I've found that as both an engineer and a hiring manager that experience wins out over education every time. So, go to college, intern some place, and become a well rounded IT person who can do a multitude of jobs. If I was looking to hire an IT person and saw a guy (or gal) who had both education AND experience, he (or she) would definately be at the top of my call-back pile.

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

Yeah sure

Funny story. I went to school for fashion design of all things. Finished top of my class (a prominent Los Angeles school) and was offered a job in a cutting room for Guess jeans when I was done. So, sure they can guarantee you a job but it may be the same job you could get anyway. So almost 20 years later I am in the IT field. I color coordinate my patch cables other than that I seriously wasted 2 years of school and have a useless degree. The only good it has done for me is to show I can finish something and taught me what paying a student loan back means. Plan your education carefully.

MIS jobs are usually (in my experience) people who have business degrees who also have IT experience. It's not really computer science as much as it is the IT side of the field. I do "management" type of work in my job with no MIS degree but I have worked in this field for 12 years now.

I agree with the statement of find something you love and find a way to make a career of that. You'll be happier in the long run.

gg

Comment

Having trouble with this again...Anyone have any IT Job nightmare stories (Getting fired, becomming homeless, etc.)? I have a passion for computers and I'd go for it but loading up Yahoo! News and seeing the heading "Honeywell plans to lay off X number of employees" is not very encouraging :(

So how is it? Do you constantly have to move around finding a new job because the old one fired you, or do you ever have a the chance to settle down for a long-term relationship
            Last edited by xXKelbaXx; October 17, 2005, 21:15.

Comment

So how is it? Do you constantly have to move around finding a new job because the old one fired you, or do you ever have a the chance to settle down for a long-term relationship
              Find a government job, those never get outsourced. You may earn a little less money but you can make plans for your birthday in the year 2035 because you will know your schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by astcell
                Find a government job, those never get outsourced.
                I believe they call it disappearing instead of outsourcing.
                Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

Alright you may have remembered my earlier post about how you were able to pay for college...Anyway I conviently live in the same state of the University of Arizona which is ranked in the top 5 in Management Information Systems (MIS). MIS is basically computer science with a business twist (I believe) and garuntees me a job once I get out of college. My question is, is it really worth going into? I am having doubts about it since I know a few middle-aged men who have fallen out of the IT realm and now do dirty work such as being a substitute teacher for a high school or something.
                  I'm going through a similar situation, being a college student studying in the IT field. It is as noid said- nothing guarantees you a job when you are out of college. Just ask yourself this- if not MIS, then what? You'll encounter the same problems in many other fields. The bottom line is you should study something that you are interested in, and if you like it you will be motivated to do well and excel in that field. It isn't what you'll study that will guarantee your success so much as your enthusiasm/motivation to do well in it.

And you are basically correct about what MIS is (I looked into it as a possible study option for college), except it's the other way around. It's business with an IT twist.
                  One Nation Under Surveillance
                  "War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength."

Comment

Originally posted by Samurai Drifter
                    I'm going through a similar situation, being a college student studying in the IT field. It is as noid said- nothing guarantees you a job when you are out of college. Just ask yourself this- if not MIS, then what? You'll encounter the same problems in many other fields. The bottom line is you should study something that you are interested in, and if you like it you will be motivated to do well and excel in that field. It isn't what you'll study that will guarantee your success so much as your enthusiasm/motivation to do well in it.

And you are basically correct about what MIS is (I looked into it as a possible study option for college), except it's the other way around. It's business with an IT twist.
                    I think the best way to exercise your college education is to go into business for yourself. Before I switched from CIS to Law I had thought about owning my own shop and doing things the way I thought they should be done without the extra beauracracy big business entails. The problem with alot of IT today it seems to me is that it is impersonal; something I feel needs to be changed.
                    Did Everquest teach you that?

Comment

Working...
                    X