Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• protect form virus

hi
    plz tell help me to portect my system form virus and torjan.

Regards,

Ali Rizwan (Web Developer)
    Aztek Computers
    http://www.aztekcomputers.com

First one's free:

http://free.grisoft.com - Free AV Software
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com - AdAware Spyware blocker

I return whatever i wish . Its called FREEDOWM OF RANDOMNESS IN A HECK . CLUSTERED DEFEATED CORn FORUM . Welcome to me

Comment

http://housecall.antivirus.com

or .. just don't open infected stuffs?
      if it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud; and I'm gonna go there free.

Comment

short answer: as others often point out... don't do anything stupid and you tend to be fine. while this is an easy to digest answer for people who have common computer sense (sort of akin to "how do i not get stabbed to death in my kitchen by a serial killer masquarading as a garbage disposal repair man?" being answered with the advice "if your garbage disposal isn't broken, don't let the stranger into your house") perhaps you are asking advice for configuring computers for family or friends who would be willing to let the unscheduled maintenance man in the door and would be likely to read an email entitled NEW PA¥ P@L MEMBER AGREEMEN+ !!!!1! and try to open the attached new_member_terms.doc.exe

- -- ----- ----------

long answer: when it comes to setting up computers for those sort of in-duh-viduals* here's my basic run-down of system hardening (assuming these people use windows)

1. install windows and all currently accepted service paks

2. disable administrative shares if the computer is not part of a network. create a .reg file with the following code...
        Code:
        REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters]
        "AutoShareWks"=dword:00000000
        ... keep in mind that's for win2k, i am 100% certain if this works for winxp (don't include that space in the word "Services" i don't know why the CODE tag isn't working right for me)

3. disable uneccessary system services that can be leveraged for malicious purposes (auto update, messenger, task scheduler)

4. harden settings under local security policy --> local policies --> security options
        * no access for anonymous connections without explicit permissions
        * sign server communication when possible
        * disable the "Ctrl Alt Delete" disable (double negative is Microsoft's fault)
        * don't display last username
        * LAN manager should be set to NTLMv2 only, reject all others (unless you're in a mixed environment with legacy systems elsewhere)

5. install an antivirus tool that includes real-time system scanning and that updates free forever. a tool that updates automatically in the background is best for in-duh-viduals. i prefer symantec / norton's corporate edition myself. if you use it, be sure to set the auto-update to daily and flag all protection and scanning settings to delete un-cleanable files as opposed to quarantining them. if files end up in a quarantine then NAV CE will ask the user what they want to do with them during definition updates. idiot users will just become frightened by seeing a big scary window that says something about viruses and may make a foolish reaction out of panic. i've actually had one person ask me if i could un-install their antivirus because i forgot about this setting, the quarantine became populated with a few entries, and they were irritated about seeing that window and having to hit "no" during definition updates. (needless to say, i simply purged the quarantine and fixed the setting instead of removing the software and leaving the guy's balls hanging unprotected out in the wind)

6. install a spyware program, preferably one that updates automatically and offers some degree of realtime protection. to date, i'm not aware of one that does this, although SpyBot comes close. it is free to use and free to update. it has a "tea timer" that sits resident and monitors changes to startup zones, asking user permission for any config modifications. (updates are manual, though)

7. perhaps most important of all, in my mind, is to get a working copy of XP Lite / 2000 Lite and fire it up. this is the most satisfying and wonderful tool i ever get to use on a windows system because it allows you to wholly rip out bullshit components that cause trouble and make for security risks. it's also a really nice, big, fat middle finger right up the ass of all the people in suits at microsoft who so often said that "these components are just part of the operating system and can't be removed"

under the "add/remove components" tab uncheck the following (unchecking means flag them for removal) keep in mind that this list is for win2k components, winxp differs a little. also, this list may inhibit a person's ability to do some things... these are my personal psycho settings that i use deploying workstations, you may have to tweak them a little. you can always "add" components back if something goes awry.

communication and messaging
        * address book
        * chat
        * netmeeting
        * outlook express
        * outlook express stationery
        * phone dialer
        * wireless zero config

internet utilities
        * internet explorer
        * java virtual machine
        * vb script
        * windows auto update
        * windows update manager

system services
        * uncheck the main box, the four sub-fields below will go, too

system tools & utils
        * uncheck the main box, four below will be removed as well

8. install the mozilla suite for the user's web and email needs (or install a pairing of firefox and thunderbird if the user so desires) the defaults keep a person pretty well protected, but you can harden them some more if you like. basically, disallow popups (may be a default now) and disable remote images, javascript, and other plugins for the mail client. if you want to allow users to view flash content, install the flash plugin but also install the mozilla Flash Blocker plugin which replaces flash, shockwave, etc. content with a place holder. the content is not downloaded and executed until the user clicks said place holder. best. fucking. plugin. ever.

that's a pretty wordy run-down but you get the basic idea. even the most moronic of users can be given a fighting chance on that big 'ol nasty world of digital three-card-monty we call the intarweb if they have...
        * working antivirus, updated regularly
        * some kind of spyware protection, preferably one that monitors startup areas
        * microsoft internet components removed from the system and a secure alternative browser suite installed in their place

* i take no credit for the term "in-duh-vidual" which was coined by author Scott Adams. for more, see the introduction to The Dilbert Future, which is an outstanding book which everyone can read during a single train, plane, or car ride and should do so without delay.
        Last edited by Deviant Ollam; September 12, 2005, 19:22.
        "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
        - Trent Reznor

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
          short answer:...
          Hey!!! this one is very good.. thank you so much
          Last edited by converge; September 30, 2005, 07:36. Reason: we saw his post the first time

Comment

You'd think a "web developer" would know how to protect oneself from viruses and trojans.
            "\x74\x68\x65\x70\x72\x65\x7a\x39\x38";

Comment

Originally posted by theprez98
              You'd think a "web developer" would know how to protect oneself from viruses and trojans.
              maybe, maybe not. i've known a lot of web designers, app developers, and even software programmers who would be hopeless outside of the warm placenta of corporate network policies. when working in IT offices, often we'd get other employees bringing in home computers which were a total mess. or, it could be a situation of ultra-securing a system for an irresponsible relative as i surmised.
              "I'll admit I had an OiNK account and frequented it quite often… What made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store… iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc... OiNK it existed because it filled a void of what people want."
              - Trent Reznor

Comment

Simply and easy real-time protect from viruses - Safe'n'Sec.

I used it and like it.

Comment

Another good way to protect your computer

Best way to protect your computer Unplug it from the internet and use it as a multimedia center :P.

a list of isp providers and chat servers i know that have virus within there network or well people who love to send out virus stuff.

AOL = dont use there network (internet for Newbies)

netzero = Dont use there network (free or pay service )

Yahoo = only use if you know what your doing (chat rooms - online services)

AIM = take your chances (chat rooms - online services)

my email client and virus protector has mostly blocked virus and potential problems from yahoo or aol email address(s).

List of Repretable Virus protection services
                  http://www.pccillin.com
                  http://www.nortons.com (blahh only good one is norton systemworks)

List of repretable scanners for adaware/shareware and registry problems.
                  http://www.pctools.com
                  http://www.adaware.com (i think thats the domain name)

make sure your system is up to date with the most updated service packs and other features from microsoft and also device drivers for your system board and other things then scan your system and take out all bugs and (freeware programs) be sure you dont download too many programs from Kaaza or IRC or well make sure you go to trusted sites that have drivers or other programs so you can protect your system again virus or trojan militious programs.

Matt.

Comment

Originally posted by alirizwan
                    hi
                    plz tell help me to portect my system form virus and torjan.

Regards,

Ali Rizwan (Web Developer)
                    Aztek Computers
                    http://www.aztekcomputers.com
                    As this is related to you original question and you list your job title as web developer here's an interesting site.

link

edit - Just as a slight aside there's and interesting slant on hackers in this editorial too!
                    Last edited by foxyboy; October 3, 2005, 11:55.

Comment

Originally posted by Deviant Ollam
                      6. install a spyware program, preferably one that updates automatically and offers some degree of realtime protection. to date, i'm not aware of one that does this, although SpyBot comes close. it is free to use and free to update. it has a "tea timer" that sits resident and monitors changes to startup zones, asking user permission for any config modifications. (updates are manual, though)
                      Hey, nice post, although I do have one suggestion. As much as I hate to say it, Microsoft AntiSpyware is extremely decent- and its free. It does have realtime protection, and it does a rather good job! I use it myself along with Avast and Tor and Privoxy- makes a great box! It auto-updates too-- I think the reason I like this if because it was created by Giant before MS took over .
                      The man with no face, in a room with no view...

Comment

Yeah in general just using comon sense is fine. Personally I know I would be fine without an AV installed, but I just install one on every PC for extra peice of mind and to deter against my parant's possible stupidies such as my dad opening every single attachement that comes in. My mail server seems to do a decent job at cleaning them before it hits the inboxes though.
                        Red Squirrel

Comment

Working...
                        X